Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Sharing approved in Saskatoon, Regina next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Sharing approved in Saskatoon, Regina next?

Saskatoon should be excited.....getting around cheap, safe and in a timely fashion is upon you! Cab companies have had a lot of time to figure out a way to compete and the best they could do is wanting to have the ability to have the same about of cabs as Uber's. Good luck with that. Users don't care about volume they care about quick pick up and drop offs and the perks of a cashless system. The death of the overpricedTaxi starts soon in Sask!
    With 8-2 vote, council adopts bylaw to allow ride sharing, but actual date of operation for companies uncertain
    Last edited by berbs; 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM.

Happy this has passed, I think it will be a benefit to the city and am quite ok with the cab companies facing some competition.

Given that we wont likely see drivers till the new year, I'm going to throw out another alternative for the remainder of the holiday season. My wife and I have been to many xmas parties for both work and friends over the last couple weeks and have been using First Choice Designated Driver service (similar to Zero 8). I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but just a fan so I'll give them a plug. Their rates are quite reasonable and they will let you pre-book a pickup time. My wife and I booked them to come at 12:30am to take us home from a xmas party on Friday and from the north end of Saskatoon to market mall-ish only cost $30. They also have a loyalty - buy 5 get one 1 free - program. The pre-booking is key. Takes all the hassle out of the scramble at the end of the night.

https://firstchoicedd.ca/

Comment

Taxi companies are in big trouble. They lost at least 700,000 rides in the first year UBER came to London. Why use an 8 track when you can download spotify!
      London's vehicle-for-hire pie has grown since Uber's arrival, but the taxi industryís share has plummeted, a new report says.

Comment

Originally posted by berbs View Post
        Taxi companies are in big trouble. They lost at least 700,000 rides in the first year UBER came to London. Why use an 8 track when you can download spotify!
        The other question to ask is how does that impact Cities bottom lines? Taxi companies for years paid very high fees to operate as a taxi.

Interesting thread talks about about the taxi plate being around 250K

ps://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit....iver_anything/

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

The other question to ask is how does that impact Cities bottom lines? Taxi companies for years paid very high fees to operate as a taxi.

A racket that is thankfully going the way of the dodo.

Comment

Mayor McMumbles was on CTV this morning, and said they are not meeting about it until January. So no ride sharing over the holiday season in Regina.
            Is it May yet?

Comment

And thanks to Lyft and Uber this will go away for good. The reality is Cabs have taken advantage of customers for years with high fees and unreliable service. Uber has been around how long now? I'd say cabs have had plenty of time to adjust their business model to be able to deal with ride share. In with the new out with the old!

Comment

And thanks to Lyft and Uber this will go away for good. The reality is Cabs have taken advantage of customers for years with high fees and unreliable service. Uber has been around how long now? I'd say cabs have had plenty of time to adjust their business model to be able to deal with ride share. In with the new out with the old!
                Most businesses canít survive going billions into debt and never generating a profit. Not sure I would call that a business model.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....-q3/index.html

Comment

Most businesses canít survive going billions into debt and never generating a profit. Not sure I would call that a business model.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....-q3/index.html
                  I understand that Uber has taken it on the chin recently but let's not let pretend ride sharing isn't the best thing ever when its comes to quick, timely and affordable transit options.

Comment

I understand that Uber has taken it on the chin recently but let's not let pretend ride sharing isn't the best thing ever when its comes to quick, timely and affordable transit options.
                    How about when it comes to workers er contractors??? All of a sudden we don't give a poop about minimum wage when it saves us a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

How about when it comes to workers er contractors??? All of a sudden we don't give a poop about minimum wage when it saves us a few bucks.
                      Cabs have been gouging since day 1 with zero competition ever. No reason at all why it should cost 40 plus dollars to get from Costco area to Rochdale ever.

Comment

Cabs have been gouging since day 1 with zero competition ever. No reason at all why it should cost 40 plus dollars to get from Costco area to Rochdale ever.
                        The City played a major role in that gouging. But a guy driving his own car and barely making $20 per hour with Uber is someone being gouged as well.

Comment

The City played a major role in that gouging. But a guy driving his own car and barely making $20 per hour with Uber is someone being gouged as well.
                          Nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them drive for Uber. If the job doesn't pay, nobody will stick around. People must feel it's worthwhile though since there's no shortage of drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

Nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them drive for Uber. If the job doesn't pay, nobody will stick around. People must feel it's worthwhile though since there's no shortage of drivers.
                            Are Walmart workers working under a gun? Why are they required to pay a minimum?? Desperate people do desperate things and some people just drive for fun, a little extra cash, and the social aspect. That doesn't mean we should allow companies to take advantage of them.

Comment

Are Walmart workers working under a gun? Why are they required to pay a minimum?? Desperate people do desperate things and some people just drive for fun, a little extra cash, and the social aspect. That doesn't mean we should allow companies to take advantage of them.
                              Desperate people arenít driving Ubers. Invalid comparison.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X