Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training for Class 1A Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training for Class 1A Drivers

Surprised this is not being discussed. 3 weeks and $6-8000 is quite a commitment unless you already have a job lined up. There is a lot of talk about farmers being exempt but no talk that all drivers from another jurisdiction are also exempt. Apparently TFW's also exempt but I have not seen that in writing.

When I got mine many years ago I elected to take training (I week back then) just for the sake of confidence. What I got from that training did not translate well to what I do now in the oilpatch. The things I see all the time that are dangerous are simply bad decisions not poor training.

Overall training is good but this seems like it will hurt companies trying to hire drivers.

Not sure the context for your post, was there a recent change, or you just disagree with the setup that was previously in place?

Comment

I have no problem with it. The only thing I think is that maybe veteran drivers should be exempt or at least some hours counted towards the 170 or whatever it is.

Comment

If there's a bet put me down for $20 that the jurisdiction in Canada with the least amount of costs to enter the industry having the highest percentage of drivers licenced. And how can we prevent them from driving here?

Comment

By the sounds of it anybody hopping off the boat with an international license is good to go. Thats not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
            By the sounds of it anybody hopping off the boat with an international license is good to go. Thats not good.
            Hey but at least we are making Canadians go the long expensive route.

Comment

Iím in favor of the changes. I think itís too easy to get a A1 license currently. I disagree with anyone having exemptions though. A farmer hauling a super b full of grain is just as dangerous as anyone else and should have similar training. I do agree with the grandfathering in of licences as most drivers would already have the experience needed.

I wanted to add that I donít think any foreign licence should apply here. By grandfathering I meant A1 licences already gotten in Canada.
              Last edited by Poley For PM; 12-06-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Maybe I'll have to ask SGI, but I've been thinking of taking my 1A license just so I can legally drive the semi around the farm, or to and from fields. Also my dad's not getting any younger and I may have to take over at least some of the trucking duties on the farm. For me I'm not sure how it would make sense to take 3 weeks off work to get a 1A license that I might use like 2 months out of the year

Comment

Originally posted by Poley For PM View Post
                  Iím in favor of the changes. I think itís too easy to get a A1 license currently. I disagree with anyone having exemptions though. A farmer hauling a super b full of grain is just as dangerous as anyone else and should have similar training. I do agree with the grandfathering in of licences as most drivers would already have the experience needed.

I wanted to add that I donít think any foreign licence should apply here. By grandfathering I meant A1 licences already gotten in Canada.
                  A farmer has been operating heavy equipment since they were a small kid. Big difference than somebody that has never even driven a manual transmission before. If you don't follow the rules of the road no amount of training will do any good.

Comment

If they want to improve drivers they only need to make the test harder to pass. No amount of training will help some people. When you are charging $6-8 thousand for training, everyone will pass at the end of the course which doesnít guarantee that the driver is qualified.

Comment

My kid (18) is working on a rig. He was told to get his 1A. So I asked him what that entailed. He told me basically nothing. Does he need a course, nope. He can drive and will have no problem rowing the gears and apparently that is all you need to know. It's scary with basically no training he will be qualified to drive a B train. I'm not to worried about him because he isn't stupid and won't get over his head. He tells me that people he works with can hardly drive a 1 ton truck let alone a semi have 1A licenses. The standards need to change.

A couple stories that I have told before. My dad taught me to watch truck drivers because they know what the road conditions are. I followed a transport truck from east of Davidson to Saskatoon, the road was fine it was just snowing. The transport truck in front of me decided to drive in the middle of the road so I could not pass. So I follow this idiot for like 20 miles at 70K. I was tempted to go through the ditch just to get around him but I didn't. Apparently this new canadian was too stupid to drive on his side of the road. But apparently he had a 1A.
                      Last edited by Sofaking; 12-06-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poley For PM View Post

Great post, nailed it .....

Comment

I did mine at 18 Wheels in Regina. Mine was 1 week, $1500 because I had experience driving trucks before that. They also had a 2 week course for people who have driven a standard, but not a heavy truck and a 3 week course for people who had never driven a standard before. This was in 2010, but the instructors were great, trucks were nice to drive and we had lots of drive time

Comment

My dad actually dropped his 1A to a 3A and then to a plain old class 5. The reason was the church was always asking for something. He was a licensed electrician as well so if you needed anything driven or wired you asked him. He didn't mind helping out but it gets a little old when you spend all of your weekends "helping out" and everyone else just sings on Sunday.

Comment

Even as a farmer, I don't agree with an exemption. Everyone should be on equal grounds.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X