Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting our Christmas tree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting our Christmas tree

We have decided this year we will be having a real tree instead of a fake one . Taking the family out to cut down our Christmas tree . Who all puts up a real tree ?

First year ever that we don't have a real tree, just the fake one we usually have in the basement. Its because we'll be out of town, so it makes sense, but I still miss the smell and look of the real tree. So we will be going back to real ones after this again.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
      First year ever that we don't have a real tree, just the fake one we usually have in the basement. Its because we'll be out of town, so it makes sense, but I still miss the smell and look of the real tree. So we will be going back to real ones after this again.
      We used to have a real one every year , it was cool taking the kids out when they were small to cut down our tree , but then we stopped , not sure why

Comment

grew up with a fake when so when i saw a real one i thought it was odd, what would the trivago guy have?

Comment

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

We used to have a real one every year , it was cool taking the kids out when they were small to cut down our tree , but then we stopped , not sure why
          When my kids were small we always made a day of it. We would go down a power line and find a toboggan sliding hill, have a camp fire for hot dogs and hot chocolate. The tree we would take off the right of way would never have been allowed to mature anyway because it would eventually have been sprayed by hydro. My wife has a pre-lit faker now, up around the 20th and down on the first, no fuss, no muss.

edit. Some of my kids use fake ones now.

Comment

We have not had a real tree since 1971. My Aunt's big German Shepherd and I were laying on the living room floor when all of a sudden the tree came crashing down on us. The dog managed to crawl out but I was stuck. Dad bought a Noma artificial tree from Kaufman's the next year.
            Last edited by Tyree; 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I've never had a fake tree. I didn't when I was a kid and I don't today. The last couple of years I've got trees from Dutch Growers.

Comment

I have never had a real tree, my parents figured a real tree would burn the house down and my wife likes the artificial trees with the lights already on them. I do like the smell of a real tree when I visit someone who has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post
                  We have decided this year we will be having a real tree instead of a fake one . Taking the family out to cut down our Christmas tree . Who all puts up a real tree ?
                  Going out to cut our own tree is one of my families traditions. I think it means more to my kids than me. They would be disappointed if we went and got it before they got home from university.

Hay rides through the hills, hot chocolate by a fire, dogs having fun in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Going out to cut our own tree is one of my families traditions. I think it means more to my kids than me. They would be disappointed if we went and got it before they got home from university.

Hay rides through the hills, hot chocolate by a fire, dogs having fun in the snow.
                    Do you have any special guest stars as well in your "Go Riders Holiday Special" ?

Seriuosly, that sounds like a pretty good time, I know my Grandpa would plant a few trees at the farm (of variuos ages) and he'd cut one down every year for Christmas, kinda neat that he grew his own Christmas trees

Comment

Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

Do you have any special guest stars as well in your "Go Riders Holiday Special" ?

Seriuosly, that sounds like a pretty good time, I know my Grandpa would plant a few trees at the farm (of variuos ages) and he'd cut one down every year for Christmas, kinda neat that he grew his own Christmas trees
                      No, but we do have blooper reels. When the kids were young, they use to bring a toboggan for the hills. I've got a great video of them going down the hill, running into my wife and flipping her upside down. They still laugh about it every time we go.

It's a tree farm, lots of hills. All of the local farmers come and work at it for a few weeks driving their tractors pulling trailers covered in bales of hay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
                        I have never had a real tree, my parents figured a real tree would burn the house down and my wife likes the artificial trees with the lights already on them. I do like the smell of a real tree when I visit someone who has one.
                        My mom used to get around that by having a pine scented air freshener in the area . I think you could even get ones that like a pine cone you could attach as an ornament and gave off the scent.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

No, but we do have blooper reels. When the kids were young, they use to bring a toboggan for the hills. I've got a great video of them going down the hill, running into my wife and flipping her upside down. They still laugh about it every time we go.

It's a tree farm, lots of hills. All of the local farmers come and work at it for a few weeks driving their tractors pulling trailers covered in bales of hay.
                          speaking of Toboggans I went to Canadian tire looking for a sleigh for my grandson and noticed that the old 6' wooden toboggan is now selling for $140.00 !! Times have changed

Comment

Bunch of murders.

Surprised Greenpeace isnt all over those who chop down trees for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                              Bunch of murders.

Surprised Greenpeace isnt all over those who chop down trees for Christmas
                              I know, off topic, but that reminded me of this tweet I saw the other day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X