Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera recommendations for trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera recommendations for trip

My daughter is travelling this summer to Europe and asked for a camera for Christmas. She's not to familiar with models or options, and I'm not very knowledgable myself. I'm looking for recommendations on a camera, not really sure what to look for. Budget is around 300-400$ max.

Thanks.

I have a Canon M100 that I absolutely love.

Amazing Camera.
    Captures RAW files for enhanced editing if youíre into that.
    Exceptionally light weight. I take it mountain climbing.

mirrorless cameras (like the M100) give you a lot of the perks of nice cameras with a fraction of the size.

I bought it for a week of hiking in Iceland and donít regret it.

$430 on Amazon at the moment . I got mine from London Drugs at a similar price.

Keep in mind youíll want accessories and stuff too so not sure if thatís in your budget or hers.

The best accessory for for a camera is the Peak Design Capture. Allows you to clip your camera to your backpack shoulder strap.
    Last edited by imschatz; 11-21-2018, 07:14 AM.

Comment

We bought a new camera this year and were drawn to the long zoom travel camera segment. They're basically a point and shoot with a larger sensor and a huge magnification. We own a SLR, but never seem to take it with us due to its size, and we never bought a fancy zoom lens for it anyway. Neither the SLR or our phones were great at shooting things from far away like you tend to do while traveling. We use our phones a lot for pictures, but of course they don't have any magnification. We went with one of the cheapest ones, the Panasonic ZS50, there are better ones with more features.

The Panasonic cameras still have an electronic viewfinder, which is very handy when it's sunny outside, that's why we went with that brand more than anything.
      Last edited by bohsask; 11-21-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Do you think she'll need something much better than a cell phone? The best camera is the one you have with you, and carrying a cellphone is second nature now.

Comment

I have a Nikon D3400 which I love. I paid about $600 at Bird Films (highly recommend them), but there is a newer version available (within the last few months) with minimal updates so if you can still get a D3400 you may be able to find one a bit cheaper. I was between a Nikon and a Canon, but for a similar price, the Nikon had a lot more features. My other camera is a Nikon Coolpix (itís fairly old, but still a great camera). The Coolpix cameras are cheaper than the DSLRs, but are good point and shoot cameras and some have great zoom if thatís important to you. There are some great websites where you can pick different cameras to compare. They work really well, but the pricing wonít be accurate. Bird Films will also do this (Donís Photo might as well, but I donít have any experience with them) and they can explain what some of the differences mean. For example, when I was looking she compared the D3400 and newer D3500 for me and explained that the updates were basically software and not really anything I would notice, so for me it was better to get the D3400 than wait for the new version. I would check them out. Give them your budget and see what they have.

Comment

I truly love my Canon Elura 100. It is long out of date, but I have used it on many European trips. I can make movies or stills. I prefer movies to recapture a trip, but it makes fine photos too.

Perhaps you can buy one used?

Edit: Mine was $400 10 years ago but it still works like a charm. Why would anyone want a still when you can have a movie? You can always grab stills from it.
            Last edited by Sprout; 11-21-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I have an "in-between" camera. It has interchangeable lenses and is an SLR, but it is quite company. The Nikon J1.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...ikon-1-j1.html

It comes with a pretty standard lens with some zoom capability, but you can (and I have) bought more serious zoom lenses, up to 200mm I believe.

More bulky than a phone with a really good camera on it though. And honestly, for many of the pictures I want to remember a trip by, the phone is good enough, and is so handy.

Comment

We are looking for something similar and had the Canon M100 recommended to us from a photog friend so on the Christmas list it went. Seems like a great compromise between cell phone and dslr with the ability to add accessories if desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty c View Post
                  We are looking for something similar and had the Canon M100 recommended to us from a photog friend so on the Christmas list it went. Seems like a great compromise between cell phone and dslr with the ability to add accessories if desired.
                  Love my M100.

Reasons I prefer it to my cell phone:

1) RAW format. It saves the 32 MB file size images, and I have a few friends with professional camera software skills. So if I want to print something off to hang on a wall, I can get some outstanding photos.

2) With my Peak Design Capture clip, it is always on my backpack. When I'm hiking up a mountain, my cell phone isn't really accessible. Plus it's a work phone, so I tend to be a bit more cautious with it then with my personal phones when I had them. Also with the neck strap, I really don't feel like it's possible for me to drop my camera. When my hands are frozen, trying to snap a selfie on top of a mountain with a cell phone .. it's a bit more precarious of a situation then I'd like.

3) Interchangable lenses. While I only have on the one lens at the moment, I have a few lenses on my Amazon Wish List.

My girlfriend has a Google Pixel 2 that takes really nice photos for posting to Instagram. But I like having my Camera for taking real photos.

Comment

Originally posted by mixer View Post
                    Do you think she'll need something much better than a cell phone? The best camera is the one you have with you, and carrying a cellphone is second nature now.
                    This is something to seriously consider.
                    A modern cell phone can take some pretty good pictures, and chances are you'll have it with you all the time, unlike a bulky camera. For the record, I have a Nikon D3400 which is an absolutely fantastic camera, but I rarely take it with me because it's big and bulky and I only drag it out on occasions where I want big pictures. For sharing on instragram/facebook it's not worth it.. Some of the smaller point and shoot cameras are nice, but again, you have to remember to take it with you, recharge the batter, transfer pictures off the memory card if you start running out of room etc. Most modern cell phones take pretty good pictures, and will upload to the cloud automatically for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisandcebu View Post

My daughter is travelling this summer to Europe and asked for a camera for Christmas. She's not to familiar with models or options, and I'm not very knowledgable myself. I'm looking for recommendations on a camera, not really sure what to look for. Budget is around 300-400$ max.

Thanks.
                      A Samsung phone, version 7 or newer, will take photos at least as good as a $300-400 camera. From experience .... and so nice to not be encumbered with more than one device.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

A Samsung phone, version 7 or newer, will take photos at least as good as a $300-400 camera. From experience .... and so nice to not be encumbered with more than one device.
                        What exactly is Samsung phone, version 7? I have never heard of this model.

A mirror less Canon M100 will take significantly better photos than any smartphone.

Comment

Samsung S7.

The difference in photo quality did not make it worthwhile to carry my DSLR which was $600+.
                          But to each their own ......

I do a great deal of travel photography. I have printed and framed the best of my photos from our trips. I can no longer remember which were taken with my DSLR and which with my phone, and others who look at the photos feel they are all of equal high quality.

But carry as much stuff as you like. As travelers who never check a bag, we really like to limit anything that might be superfluous. The phone becomes our camera, GPS, flashlight, compass, etc etc .....

Comment

I have a close friend who is a professional photographer and when he travels or hikes, he just uses a cheaper point and shoot, like a Sony Cybershot, because it fits in his pocket and he finds it more convenient. I personally use my Samsung S9 (S7 before that) and like Danno says, the pictures are great

Comment

We have a Nikon D3100 from a few years ago. It usually gets left behind on trips because of the bulk.

Is moving to a phone like a Huawei P20 Pro that has a pretty good camera an option?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X