Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Flu Shot (Starting Oct 22)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Flu Shot (Starting Oct 22)

More than 340 pharmacies across the province will offer free flu vaccinations when the shot becomes available on Oct. 22.

Starting this year, the role of pharmacists has been expanded to allow them to administer the free flu shot to residents five years and older, during home visits, and in congregate living settings.

The vaccine will also be available free of cost at public health clinics and some physician and nurse practitioner offices.

The province’s Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Saqib Shahab is urging residents to get their flu shot early in the season to protect “yourself, your family and those to whom you provide care.

“Influenza can cause serious illness and may lead to complications, hospitalization and even death,” he said in a government press release Thursday.

The ministry of health recommends flu shots for those at higher risk, including seniors, people with underlying chronic health conditions, children under five and pregnant women.

“Seniors often have chronic health conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes and weaker immune systems, which makes them particularly vulnerable to complications from influenza,” the ministry said in its release.

Saskatchewan’s publicly-funded flu vaccination program offers the injectable vaccine, which provides protection against four different flu virus strains most likely to circulate this season.

This year, the province is providing Fluzone High Dose vaccine for long-term-care residents 65 and older. This vaccine offers improved protection for seniors, especially the elderly.

Children under five and non-Saskatchewan residents can be vaccinated at a public health clinic. To find out where and when to get a flu shot, call your public health office or HealthLine 811, or visit www.4flu.ca for a complete listing and schedule of public flu clinics.

For a list of pharmacies that provide the free flu shot, check the Pharmacy Association of Saskatchewan website or ask your local pharmacy if they offer it.

Information on influenza immunization in Saskatchewan is available at www.saskatchewan.ca/flu.

For advice on influenza symptoms and when to seek care, call HealthLine 811 or visit www.healthlineonline.ca.

I guess I will have to ask when they are getting them in dialysis. That is where I have had mine the last 6 years.

Comment

Got mine at the pharmacy last year, was very convenient, will do that again.

Comment

Mrs danno and I will both get ours at Shoppers next week, easy peasy .... do it!

Comment

Since our kids are too young to be vaccinated by the pharmacist, we will be going to the flu clinic when it comes to White City the beginning of November. Having a newborn at home right now makes it especially important that the rest of us are vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by d-slice View Post
            Since our kids are too young to be vaccinated by the pharmacist, we will be going to the flu clinic when it comes to White City the beginning of November. Having a newborn at home right now makes it especially important that the rest of us are vaccinated.
            Good for you for being a responsible parent.

Comment

The missus and I went to the Shoppers on south Albert around 10 on the 22nd. We’re second and third to get the shot. About six folks waiting when we were finished. Convenient, and almost painless..

Comment

Went to the UofR on the 22nd it was fast. Lots of new Canadians were there to get their flu shots which is great to see. Just a reminder for those on the fense. 80% of kids that died of the flu last year did not get the flu shot.

This is a great but sad first person account by two doctors who’s son died from the flu

http://thestir.cafemom.com/parenting...m_source=LTcom

Comment

I taken the flu shot off and on over the years (a lot more off than on to be honest). Its a crap shoot if they guess the right strain so I don't lose any sleep if I don't get it. I haven't had the flu (nor has any of the family) for 20+ years so maybe we're just lucky or all those years playing in farmyard dirt (mixture of livestock manure, Waskada Clay loam, joint grease, engine oil and various herbicides and insecticides) has made me both toxic to flu strains and an ability to glow in the dark!

Comment

Originally posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
                    I taken the flu shot off and on over the years (a lot more off than on to be honest). Its a crap shoot if they guess the right strain so I don't lose any sleep if I don't get it. I haven't had the flu (nor has any of the family) for 20+ years so maybe we're just lucky or all those years playing in farmyard dirt (mixture of livestock manure, Waskada Clay loam, joint grease, engine oil and various herbicides and insecticides) has made me both toxic to flu strains and an ability to glow in the dark!
                    how did a MB farm boy become a Rider fan?

In my university summers, I worked as a soil mapper and I know that ain't Saskie dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

how did a MB farm boy become a Rider fan?

In my university summers, I worked as a soil mapper and I know that ain't Saskie dirt!
                      In my formative years it seemed that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers area of interest halted at the Perimeter Highway and so I gravitated west.

Comment

Originally posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

In my formative years it seemed that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers area of interest halted at the Perimeter Highway and so I gravitated west.
                        good choice

Comment

I got the flu two weeks before my hot winter vacation last year, never had a flu shot. Thought dying was an option with how sick I was. /I still felt horrible a day into my vacation until it turned around. You can count on it that I am getting one this year.

Comment

Health officials are pleading with families to get flu shots, with hospitalization rates for the flu this season highest for children under age nine. Only one in three Saskatchewan toddlers has had the vaccine, the provincial health authority says.

Comment

Children 5 and up can be vaccinated at pharmacies, what about kids younger than that?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X