Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash cams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mallard View Post
    Fair points listed. It would be interesting to see if a person were to subpoena your dash cam video because they believe it supports them and not you, how that would all work out. Further, I don't believe when you're out in public, there's any reasonable expectation of privacy.
    Makes me wonder that if you get in an accident with someone who has one, subpoenaing the recording is not the best thing to do, if you have the slighest doubt you would wind up in court.

If I was in the wrong, and was going to lie, step 1 would be to delete the video, and until it was requested by the court, I don't think there is anything stopping you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordguide View Post
      All of the commercial models I've seen are, in my opinion, completely inadequate. They are large and flashy, as if to attract consumers in the retail aisles, when what you want is something that is essentially invisible. There is no reason for this approach as the technology is easily capable of micro dimensions. Broadly speaking they are typical of Chinese design, which exhibits a style that isn't going to make it to any design museums, and in general reveals little effort was employed in good product design.

If you edit footage, which is easily detected, it may invalidate it's use in a legal defence.

A reasonably competent electronics DIY'er can make one smaller than a dime inexpensively with either a wired or wireless interface to the record/view screen. The tech is there, suitable camera + lens units are about $5. Or easily create a unit that would fit the dimensions of the rear-view mirror, with the screen incorporated in the mirror itself. There is no technical barrier to a suitably miniaturized unit.
      I'll give you $10 for a dime-sized dash cam, $20 for wireless, you can 4x your money!

In all seriousness, yes these things do tend to exceed cheap Chinese design and manufacture. I'm surprised there aren't more affordable user-friendly models out there, like a turnkey product by GoPro or something. Maybe there are, but I've only looked at the $100 models.

Had a compact one that was nicely concealed against the rear view mirror, well enough that car thieves would never notice it. That one had almost no screen, which is the component that tends to make the others bulky and ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post

I'll give you $10 for a dime-sized dash cam, $20 for wireless, you can 4x your money!

In all seriousness, yes these things do tend to exceed cheap Chinese design and manufacture. I'm surprised there aren't more affordable user-friendly models out there, like a turnkey product by GoPro or something. Maybe there are, but I've only looked at the $100 models.

Had a compact one that was nicely concealed against the rear view mirror, well enough that car thieves would never notice it. That one had almost no screen, which is the component that tends to make the others bulky and ugly.
        You can buy ready-to-go NTSC cams on eBay all day long for about $C 10~11 delivered via a slow boat from China. I keep track of things like that in my Watch List because I do a lot of DIY electronics, although a bit more than just plugging modules together, but for someone with a little adventurous spirit, no experience, the dash cam thing is approachable. Right now I have way too many projects on the go to try it myself, although if I felt it was something I could use right away, I would.

What I generally do is more along the lines of buying components from digikey and mouser, sometimes designing the circuit, although I am not much of an electronics engineer there is plenty of help available online to get an idea to completion, so that's not necessarily a drawback, and of course you learn along the way. I've designed the PCBs and had them fabbed, that kind of thing, but it's mostly audio stuff, I've had some 40 years experience in that field.

Sometimes I do some test equipment, right now have an ongoing project to build a tool to determine the ideal snubber values for a power supply, to eliminate ringing, for example. I have some good test equipment, a Tek 'scope, a distortion analyzer, the venerable FLUKE 87-V DMM plus a couple of others, a capacitance meter, a lab grade resistance bridge, plus the usual set of assembly tools. I can solder thru-hole and some of the larger Surface Mount Device (SMD) components, down to about 0.6mm pitch. The super-tiny ones like as found in a smartphone is not hand solderable, but you can use a technique that involves a kitchen toaster oven if you want to go there. But you don't need most of that stuff for a dashcam project.

EG:
        Resolution: 1280 X 960
        Image Sensor: 1/4 "PH3299
        Horizontal Definition: 600TVL
        Minimum Illumination: 0.5 LUX
        Power Adapter: DC 8V ~ 12V, 80mA
        White Balance: Auto
        Gamma Correction: 0.45
        S / N Ratio :> 48dB
        Camera Dia: 12mm

$10.76 + $1.29 shipping $C

Comes with the cables pre-wired, so just hook up power and connect the video out and audio out to your recorder/display. Note the camera size ... 12mm x 12mm square, a bit less than ½ inch a side, and only few mm deep. The cam lens itself is 6mm diameter. Just an example, but illustrative. You can get better quality cams for a bit more money if you feel that's necessary, but 1280x960 is pretty decent, especially for use as a traffic / accident monitor.

For recording/display you have to decide which way you would want to go. There are dedicated units that can accept 6 or even 12 cameras, hard drive recording, there are monitors designed for car stereo / dvd use, there's Arduino and other computer interfaces, lots of options. Bluetooth has the range and data pipe to handle wireless transmission / reception, you can even incorporate GPS if you want.
        Last edited by Gordguide; 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Comment

You can buy ready-to-go NTSC cams on eBay all day long for about $C 10~11 delivered via a slow boat from China. I keep track of things like that in my Watch List because I do a lot of DIY electronics, although a bit more than just plugging modules together, but for someone with a little adventurous spirit, no experience, the dash cam thing is approachable. Right now I have way too many projects on the go to try it myself, although if I felt it was something I could use right away, I would.

What I generally do is more along the lines of buying components from digikey and mouser, sometimes designing the circuit, although I am not much of an electronics engineer there is plenty of help available online to get an idea to completion, so that's not necessarily a drawback, and of course you learn along the way. I've designed the PCBs and had them fabbed, that kind of thing, but it's mostly audio stuff, I've had some 40 years experience in that field.

Sometimes I do some test equipment, right now have an ongoing project to build a tool to determine the ideal snubber values for a power supply, to eliminate ringing, for example. I have some good test equipment, a Tek 'scope, a distortion analyzer, the venerable FLUKE 87-V DMM plus a couple of others, a capacitance meter, a lab grade resistance bridge, plus the usual set of assembly tools. I can solder thru-hole and some of the larger Surface Mount Device (SMD) components, down to about 0.6mm pitch. The super-tiny ones like as found in a smartphone is not hand solderable, but you can use a technique that involves a kitchen toaster oven if you want to go there. But you don't need most of that stuff for a dashcam project.

EG:
            Resolution: 1280 X 960
            Image Sensor: 1/4 "PH3299
            Horizontal Definition: 600TVL
            Minimum Illumination: 0.5 LUX
            Power Adapter: DC 8V ~ 12V, 80mA
            White Balance: Auto
            Gamma Correction: 0.45
            S / N Ratio :> 48dB
            Camera Dia: 12mm

$10.76 + $1.29 shipping $C

Comes with the cables pre-wired, so just hook up power and connect the video out and audio out to your recorder/display. Note the camera size ... 12mm x 12mm square, a bit less than ½ inch a side, and only few mm deep. The cam lens itself is 6mm diameter. Just an example, but illustrative. You can get better quality cams for a bit more money if you feel that's necessary, but 1280x960 is pretty decent, especially for use as a traffic / accident monitor.

For recording/display you have to decide which way you would want to go. There are dedicated units that can accept 6 or even 12 cameras, hard drive recording, there are monitors designed for car stereo / dvd use, there's Arduino and other computer interfaces, lots of options. Bluetooth has the range and data pipe to handle wireless transmission / reception, you can even incorporate GPS if you want.
            Proves my point that you can't provide a dash cam for $5 or $10 or even $20. You can get a sensor for about $13 but then you have to design and build and buy a circuit and design and build and buy a display and design and build and buy a recorder and design and build a buy some mind of control mechanism and design and build and buy software and pay for the Bluetooth stack. And none of this includes the impressive resume of abilities and experience you have in doing that work.

I'm still up for buying a dime sized wireless dash cam but there's several keystones worth of cost between one raw component and the eventual consumer product

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post

Proves my point that you can't provide a dash cam for $5 or $10 or even $20. You can get a sensor for about $13 but then you have to design and build and buy a circuit and design and build and buy a display and design and build and buy a recorder and design and build a buy some mind of control mechanism and design and build and buy software and pay for the Bluetooth stack. And none of this includes the impressive resume of abilities and experience you have in doing that work.

I'm still up for buying a dime sized wireless dash cam but there's several keystones worth of cost between one raw component and the eventual consumer product
              You are not an electronics DIY guy, are you? Your assumptions are simply wrong. The BoM to complete the entire project can easily be done for less than the cost of a typical premade dashcam. And please provide the quote where I said the BoM would be " $5 or $10, or even $20".

On Slashdot today there is an article that shows only 30% of college grads learn critical thinking skills. Guess which percentage you seem to fall in.
              Last edited by Gordguide; 06-06-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

You are not an electronics DIY guy, are you? Your assumptions are simply wrong. The BoM to complete the entire project can easily be done for less than the cost of a typical premade dashcam. And please provide the quote where I said the BoM would be " $5 or $10, or even $20".

On Slashdot today there is an article that shows only 30% of college grads learn critical thinking skills. Guess which percentage you seem to fall in.
                Not really called for. You had said your piece.

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

Not really called for. You had said your piece.
                  He can choose the 30% if he wants. I offered a choice.

Comment

Lol...when I started this thread I didn't think it would cause a bruhaha. Riderfans you never dissapoint!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll continue watching videos on YouTube for now.

Comment

He can choose the 30% if he wants. I offered a choice.
                      ummmm, yeah.....

Comment

Holy crap! Imagine this flashing in front of you on the road.

https://indie88.com/watch-dash-cam-c...ville-airport/

The Regina connection to this is the airport is owned by the Sifton family who use to own the Leader-Post & CKCK Radio/TV.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post
                          I'd think I'd have to change my pants.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

https://indie88.com/watch-dash-cam-c...ville-airport/

The Regina connection to this is the airport is owned by the Sifton family who use to own the Leader-Post & CKCK Radio/TV.
                            Ground em all.
                            Worldwide.
                            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by bohsask View Post
                              I'd think I'd have to change my pants.
                              What would be left of mine would not be worth salvaging. Holy Moses!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X