Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash cams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash cams

Last night I got caught up in watching dash cam videos on YouTube (try it some time)

there is so some pretty crazy videos.

Does anybody own a dash cam and if so how do you like it?

They seem to be a big deal in Russia and Europe but seem to be really picking up in North America as well.

Not sure if I will get one but I am interested

According to the link below there are some cons to having a dash cam.

Human witnesses are still considered the most reliable source of information concerning an accident dispute. Dash cams can give a very one-sided view because the cam does not see everything.
    The camera can show that person who has it was actually the one at fault in a disputed accident.
    Dash cams are easily stolen making the chance of someone breaking into your car even greater.
    Because they are usually fitted to your windshield they can be yet another distraction for the driver.
    There is evidence that dash cams can make the driver concentrate less while driving.
    There is the chance that what is recorded on a dash cam can be posted on the social media causing a case to be thrown out of court because the defendant's rights have been compromised.
    There is also that nagging complaint that someone's right to privacy has been comprised by a dash cam.

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontrac...shboard-camera

Comment

Thanks captain buzzkill

Comment

I remember reading that they were popular in Russia because people liked to jump in front of vehicles and then take the insurance payout for being "hit by a car". Not sure if it's true or not.

Comment

Fair points listed. It would be interesting to see if a person were to subpoena your dash cam video because they believe it supports them and not you, how that would all work out. Further, I don't believe when you're out in public, there's any reasonable expectation of privacy.
          ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post
            Fair points listed. It would be interesting to see if a person were to subpoena your dash cam video because they believe it supports them and not you, how that would all work out. Further, I don't believe when you're out in public, there's any reasonable expectation of privacy.
            Yeah the privacy thing wouldn't fly....if you go out and about in the city you are video taped dozens of times a day without giving permission.

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post

Yeah the privacy thing wouldn't fly....if you go out and about in the city you are video taped dozens of times a day without giving permission.
              Exactly. Always be mindful of rearranging your junk while picking your nose. Different hands of course.
              ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

I have one and have it tucked up behind my mirror and angled to the passenger side so it isn't a distraction. I use it on vacation mostly as sometimes "you won't believe what I saw" but have it just saving to a SD card and it overwrites every 4 hours or so. Just another toy 😀

Comment

Originally posted by A Rider Fan View Post
                  I have one and have it tucked up behind my mirror and angled to the passenger side so it isn't a distraction. I use it on vacation mostly as sometimes "you won't believe what I saw" but have it just saving to a SD card and it overwrites every 4 hours or so. Just another toy 😀
                  Can I ask where you bought it? Is it fairly easy to cut shorter clips from the recording?

Comment

It was a present from my son and I can check with him if you want, but my money is on amazon.ca 😀
                    its just a movie clip and connected to the PC you can easily cut a section or frame out. This one was relatively inexpensive compared to some but works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by A Rider Fan View Post
                      It was a present from my son and I can check with him if you want, but my money is on amazon.ca 😀
                      its just a movie clip and connected to the PC you can easily cut a section or frame out. This one was relatively inexpensive compared to some but works fine for me.
                      Thanks...no need to check with him.

Comment

All of the commercial models I've seen are, in my opinion, completely inadequate. They are large and flashy, as if to attract consumers in the retail aisles, when what you want is something that is essentially invisible. There is no reason for this approach as the technology is easily capable of micro dimensions. Broadly speaking they are typical of Chinese design, which exhibits a style that isn't going to make it to any design museums, and in general reveals little effort was employed in good product design.

If you edit footage, which is easily detected, it may invalidate it's use in a legal defence.

A reasonably competent electronics DIY'er can make one smaller than a dime inexpensively with either a wired or wireless interface to the record/view screen. The tech is there, suitable camera + lens units are about $5. Or easily create a unit that would fit the dimensions of the rear-view mirror, with the screen incorporated in the mirror itself. There is no technical barrier to a suitably miniaturized unit.
                        Last edited by Gordguide; 06-02-2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordguide View Post
                          All of the commercial models I've seen are, in my opinion, completely inadequate. They are large and flashy, as if to attract consumers in the retail aisles, when what you want is something that is essentially invisible. There is no reason for this approach as the technology is easily capable of micro dimensions. Broadly speaking they are typical of Chinese design, which exhibits a style that isn't going to make it to any design museums, and in general reveals little effort was employed in good product design.

If you edit footage, it may invalidate it's use in a legal defence.
                          Hmmm. They could have made it large and flashy with the packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

Hmmm. They could have made it large and flashy with the packaging.
                            That's not how Chinese manufacturers do things. They exhibit a severe lack of imagination, anything actually well designed is a copy of Western products.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordguide View Post

That's not how Chinese manufacturers do things. They exhibit a severe lack of imagination, anything actually well designed is a copy of Western products.
                              I think they're hustling us. And giving us nothing to copy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X