Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supply Management .... will it be a casualty in trade talks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maverick View Post

How can 3 companies competing against each other be considered a natural monopoly?
    Are you serious?

First off, you're lucky if you actually have three different options for services. I'm assuming the vast majority only have two.

Second, the only reason we have more than one is because of regulation.

Utilities are the LITERAL example of a natural monopoly.

Comment

• Originally posted by TryingHardly View Post

Are you serious?

First off, you're lucky if you actually have three different options for services. I'm assuming the vast majority only have two.

Second, the only reason we have more than one is because of regulation.

Utilities are the LITERAL example of a natural monopoly.
      Mono - A prefix that means ďone, only, single.Ē We are talking about an industry dominated by 3 firms, therefore not a monopoly. I believe the term youíre looking for is oligopoly.

Look up "oligopoly" online, and you'll find Canada's big three wireless companies. Pretty much literally.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/0...ly_a_23227806/

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick View Post

Mono - A prefix that means ďone, only, single.Ē We are talking about an industry dominated by 3 firms, therefore not a monopoly. I believe the term youíre looking for is oligopoly.
        I don't need an English lesson, although do whatever mental gymnastics you have to.

A natural monopoly doesn't always end up in an actual monopoly, but the structure pushes the market participants towards that point. Besides that true monopolies hardly ever exist because they are horrendous for society, albeit great for shareholders.

I also noted it's because of regulation that it isn't a monopoly, but you conveniently ignored that as well. (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/monopoly.asp)

Also fun, if you actually go to the investopedia it references, it no longer has that example...so literally not.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/oligopoly.asp

Comment

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ica/ar-BBNYtiB

Foreign car makers are considering moving more manufacturing to North America from their overseas plants following the recent U.S. trade deal with Canada and Mexico.

Within days of the U.S. and Canada reaching a pact to replace the roughly 25-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement, executives at several foreign car makers said they are considering changes to their supply chains that would shift more auto-parts manufacturing work to the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Comment

• Wasn't sure what thread in which to put this, but apparently without much fanfare, steel tariffs have gone away...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tar...rump-1.5140031

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post
              Wasn't sure what thread in which to put this, but apparently without much fanfare, steel tariffs have gone away...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tar...rump-1.5140031
              Americans must be feeling safer now that Canada is no longer a national security threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by jollyrider View Post

There are a lot of ways to compare and contrast the differences in milk and industries! So this is not an exhaustive list by any means.

The most popular difference between the two countries is the use of recombinant bovine somatotropin, or rBST. What is that? Well, Health Canada states that rBST is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring growth hormone. It is approved for use in the USA to increase the production of milk in dairy cattle, but is illegal in Canada. Why is this illegal for use in Canada? Health Canada determined that it did not pose a health risk to humans, but they also determined that it had negative effects on the health and welfare of cows.

As well, our maximum Somatic Cell Count (SCC) is also lower than the American standard. What is a SCC? Itís the total number of cells per milliliter in milk. Primarily, SCC is composed of leukocytes, or white blood cells, that are produced by the cowís immune system to fight an inflammation. Itís a way we measure milk quality. For example, a reduced count of SCC is associated with better quality milk. Often if the count is high, it means the cow might be sick. Our maximum allowable is 400,000. Our provincial average is well below this maximum at 205,000. In Canada, each load of milk is tested to ensure itís below that standard. In the USA, the national standard is 750,000, but the export standard is 400,000.
                And that is why I would gladly pay more for Canadian milk and poultry. American corn fed chicken is just f***ing gross.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

And that is why I would gladly pay more for Canadian milk and poultry. American corn fed chicken is just f***ing gross.
                  Something to be aware of to those purchasing American Poultry is also concerns with allergic reactions to penicillin. The period of time before a chicken can be taken of steroids and slaughtered in the US is shorter than in Canada. My brother is very reactive to penicillin. Growing up in the US, we always had to be careful with this. He had multiple near death experiences from it. Never has an issue here. It is a conversation that has come up with people a lot, and I know of 2 people that grew up in Canada that also nearly bit the dust while visiting the states and eating chicken from this. Won't happen all the time, but the risk is there.
                  #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Chicken at Buffalo Wild Wings in Minot is mighty tasty to me!!!!

Comment

• So I guess it is true. There was so little talk about such a big issue, Freeland was in Regina yesterday at Evraz. Now lets get those Evraz-made pipes into the ground.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.5145874

Comment

• Dairy, poultry, either way, is there a way of addressing the standard of product being imported to get a deal done? Everything is negotiable. I canít imagine there arenít farms that would fill a certain standard to satisfy an export quota to Canada. Or is it all in or none? Iím obviously no expert on these things. But f we allow an import quota of a certain percentage, shouldnít it be small enough that the US could work to our standards?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X