Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legalization of Marijuana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalization of Marijuana

Here’s some good news for Canadian pot smokers: high taxes will not join the munchies, the pasties and short-term memory loss as unwelcome side effects of smoking up.

The Canadian government is hinting it wants to keep pot taxes low.

As the feds design taxation policy for soon-to-be-legalized marijuana, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said Friday that he will be guided by one main goal: squeezing out the black market.

He is adamant that maximizing federal revenues is not, and will not be, the priority on pot, suggesting Ottawa favours keeping prices competitive against the street value in order to push the local pusher out of business.

“The driver as we look at taxation in this sector will be, ‘How do we tax in a way that makes sure we get criminals out?’… That gives you context for the way we’re thinking about it,” Morneau said in a roundtable interview.

“The key issue is to make sure we eliminate the black market. It’s straightforward. The first issue has to be our focus on that. Which means we are thinking about taxation in the context of how we get at that first objective…

“Revenue maximization is absolutely not our goal.”

A new C.D. Howe report puts a price tag on the goal Morneau describes.

It finds that 90 per cent of the illegal market would disappear if pot cost $9 per gram, and governments applied only existing sales taxes, producing $675 million a year in federal and provincial revenues.

But the report concluded illegal sales would retain half the market if governments tried squeezing $1 billion in revenue from the sale of marijuana – and that’s the scenario Morneau says he doesn’t want.

But don’t expect to hear the feds trumpeting Canadians’ ability to get high without high taxes. Ottawa’s messaging on the issue has been extremely sober, emphasizing the goal of displacing black-market vendors who sell to kids.

“Our current approach on marijuana is failing Canadians,” Trudeau told a news conference Friday on Parliament Hill.

“We need to make it more difficult for underage Canadians to access marijuana; we are not doing that right now, the current prohibition does not work, which is why we’re going to legalize and control the sale of marijuana ….

“We’re going to end the billions of dollars in profits that flow into organized crime and criminal street gangs every year through the sale of this illicit drug.”

In public, Morneau has avoided any deep discussions about marijuana taxation and its potential revenue impact.

Another thing the government has avoided discussing is the potential consequences of disrupting the criminal market.

A lengthy, detailed piece in Esquire magazine charts how Mexican criminal gangs saw U.S. states starting to legalize marijuana a few years ago, figured that market would soon dry up, and ramped up production of another product: heroin.

Will the provinces tax it?

Comment

I'm sure it will balance itself

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	latest?cb=20060531132611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	3162
        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

I can't see how they can possibly tax the four plants you will be allowed to keep at home.

Comment

I'm not sure how much of a black market will be left after anyone with basic gardening skills and a patch of dirt sticks 4 seeds in the ground.

Comment

You underestimate how lazy some people are.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo View Post
                I'm not sure how much of a black market will be left after anyone with basic gardening skills and a patch of dirt sticks 4 seeds in the ground.
                My wife of 21 years will wonder why all of a sudden an interest plants and gardening.
                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

I don't know anaything about this, but will they just grow outside in a bed or a flower pot? Our climate is warm enough for long enough?

Comment

4/20 would be a good date to make it official

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                      I don't know anaything about this, but will they just grow outside in a bed or a flower pot? Our climate is warm enough for long enough?
                      Yes but the issue is the time of year when the hours of light changes. Over come with autoflowering seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post

Yes but the issue is the time of year when the hours of light changes. Over come with autoflowering seeds.
                        The first DST discussion begins!

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Are Politics back???

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

An extra hour of growing time

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

My wife of 21 years will wonder why all of a sudden an interest plants and gardening.
                              I'm not sure how far the legalization goes, but here are a couple of my concerns since I don't touch the stuff, and honestly can't stand the smell.
                              a) if I have my GRANDKIDS at the parade or at the fireworks and Spicoli decides to like up a big fatty fairly close to where we are. I will politely ask him/them to move or put it out since the little kids are right there getting high off their smoke. If he/they won't oblige, my Grandkids could learn how to Pop A stoner. I usually go early to get a good seat or spot and shouldn't have to move or leave because some thoughtless pot head can't go without while kids are around.
                              b) having that stink embedded in my clothes from passing by where it is being smoked. Trying to go through a road check or even the border once that crap is on your clothes.
                              c) having it legalized won't be enough for some. Adding crap to increase the buzz. Getting behind the wheel bothers me after they have been toking up, especially the different strengths and qualities.
                              d) obesity in kids is already a problem. Now kids that are around people that are puffing will be running around with the munchies

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X