Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Pellet Grills Reviews/Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Pellet Grills Reviews/Opinions

I need a new bbq and I have been seriously considering a wood pellet smoker/grill. I have been looking at and researching all the different brands Traeger, Louisiana Grills, PIt Boss, etc but I was wondering if any one has any real world reviews/opinions on any particular brand/model.

I know Traeger was the first one out there and I am really leaning towards that brand but would like to hear thoughts on the others.

TIA

Louisiana Grills one for almost 3 years now. Its good, no major complaints. Temperature sometimes fluctuates a bit, and it can be a bit of a problem to get going in the dead of winter sometimes. Otherwise really good.

Only complaint I guess would be about pellet grills in general is that the smoke flavour is much much more mild than when I used to do the charcoal/wood chips method. Temperature much more easy to regulate though.

Comment

I have have had the Lil Tex Elite Traeger grill for just over 6 years now and love it. Haven't had any issues with it at all, it fires right up every time and works great even in winter (uses a bit more pellets, but they all do). Haven't had a meal off of it that we didn't like. If you get any pellet grill, be sure to get your pellets from JBs if you are in Regina. By far and away the best deal in the city...2 40lb bags for $50.

Only thing that I need to replace on it soon is the firebox as it is starting to rust and fall apart. I have had one sitting at home for a year now, as I'm lazy and am waiting for the current one to completely fail to change it. Other than that though everything is almost like new on it.

All in all I think you'd be very happy with a pellet grill. Very easy to use and the food is all excellent. You won't regret it.

Comment

I have (and had) a few different Pellet Grills. My thoughts:
        • Traeger is a waste of money. They're the Dyson of Pellet Grills. Huge marketing budget that's subsidized by selling an over-priced (compared to competitors), under-featured product. Materials and quality have gone down hill over the years and they no longer compete with most grills in the same price category.
        • Louisiana Grills. I like the grill build (for price) and the fact they're available locally at many establishments. I don't like how uneven the temperature is on the cooking surface. I've used 3 (1 at home, 1 at work and a buddy owns one). They all have extreme hot and cold spots and it becomes frustrating. If you know your grill, this is fine but it irritated me. I also don't care for their controller design compared to others.
        • Yoder Smokers. Incredible build quality/material, hold their heat, beautiful to grill or smoke on. Negative=very expensive. They're built like a tank and the price reflects this. If you're not moving the grill or looking to impress your friends, I don't think I could recommend a Yoder.
        • Memphis Grills. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to cook on, hold their heat, great build quality, a lot of high end features. Unfortunately incredibly expensive. If you're looking to spend big bucks, I'd go with a Memphis over a Yoder for backyard cooking.
        • Green Mountain Grills. Best bang for the buck. Incredible Customer Support/warranty. Numerous features not available in similar price points. App/wireless control from your phone (if you want that type of functionality). Decent build quality (materials are somewhat entry level compared to more expensive units but for price, can't complain... Especially compared to other units in same price point that seem to rust out). Cooking surface has hot/cold spots until you adjust your heat deflectors properly. Where Green Mountain Grills seem to blow away the competition is in the affordability of their accessories. There's Grease Tray liners, bucket liners, Grill Pans, Griddles, Direct grill/sear attachments... And the best?... Check out this Pizza Oven attachment for $129 USD... Including the Pizza Stone.
        • Click image for larger version  Name:	Wood-Fired-Pizza-Attachment-Green-Mountain-Grills-@-Sunset-Feed-Miami.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	281824
        Last edited by #1Fan; 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the detailed opinion!

Comment

There is some temperature uneveness on my Louisiana for sure, but it only matter when grilling at high heat. At BBQing temps, it doesn't matter. Its just a bit hotter on the right side than the left (counterintuitive, since the firebox is on the left).

Comment

I've owned a Traegar for over ten years without any problems once I upgraded to the now standard digital heat controller. Ownership did change and production was relocated to Florida since I purchased mine.

Comment

The Green Mountain Grills are very intriguing!

Comment

Iíve only had or used green mountain. Easy to use for beginners. Itís hard to screw up with a temperature probe controlling the cooking. Havenít had any complaints about the food cooked on it.

Comment

Don't own one, but a couple years back I did a bunch of research on them. My choices came down to Yoder and Rec Tec.
                    In my opinion the Rec Tec came out ahead, check them out https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt...-pellet-grill/

Comment

I love my Louisiana Grill. Incredibly easy to use and so versatile.

Pit Boss is the cheaper line made by the same Canadian company (Dansons) but they are still better quality, and have better features, than a Traeger.
                      Is it May yet?

Comment

I live on the road. My green mountain Davy Crockett comes with me. Love the thing. Bit tough to start in the winter, but hitting off and on on my phone from the house isnt that hard.
                        its a bit small, but can do a decent size turkey.

Comment

We just picked up a Green Mountain Grill. No complaints. The app is nice for monitoring food temp and changing temp settings. Had to tweek the positioning of the heat deflector a bit for more balanced temp side to side but the instruction book explained what to to.

Comment

I m in about my 4th summer with my Green Mountain Daniel Boone and I do 2-3 cooks a week from May - September and at least a couple per month in the "offseason" and have absolutely zero complaints. My pellet level sensor malfunctioned last year, but I just took it out and double check pellet level before I start and haven't missed the thing.

Comment

Iíve never used a pellet grill. Does it work okay if your wanting to just do burgers and dogs or a few steaks? Are you using a lot of pellets to run it that hot?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X