Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humboldt Broncos Bus Crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think this has been posted, a very moving, compassionate story from Sports Illustrated writer Greg Bishop.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/04/13/hu...y-saskatchewan

Comment

• Wow- guess there were some tears years left
      thanks for posting

Comment

• Originally posted by smartyface View Post
        When you stop and think that some players may need assistance for the rest of their live which may be 60 to 80 years. 11.4 million isn't a whole lot of money.
        Excatly. I don't exactly see why how the money will be distributed or the amount raised is something that needs to be concerned about. I am sure they have started figuring out how it will be done and take care of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Excatly. I don't exactly see why how the money will be distributed or the amount raised is something that needs to be concerned about. I am sure they have started figuring out how it will be done and take care of it.
          Yeah, lots of things to consider with it. I just wonder who "they" are. Hockey teams are good at running hockey teams, they may not be the best people to distribute funds of this magnitude in a proper way. It's not necessarily easy, and lots of things to consider. Is it only for the victims and their families? Others related to the team and close to the tragedy? Support for first responders? Future Bronco players? They need to map out what is in and what is not covered by the fund.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Yeah, lots of things to consider with it. I just wonder who "they" are. Hockey teams are good at running hockey teams, they may not be the best people to distribute funds of this magnitude in a proper way. It's not necessarily easy, and lots of things to consider. Is it only for the victims and their families? Others related to the team and close to the tragedy? Support for first responders? Future Bronco players? They need to map out what is in and what is not covered by the fund.
            This is the latest update on the GoFundMe page. Looks like they have a law firm helping them now.

An update from the Humboldt Broncos:

"As we try to come to grips with our incredible loss, we have been overwhelmed by the donations we have received across Saskatchewan, Canada and from people around the world through GoFundMe - the support and solidarity has truly been awe-inspiring.

We would like to recognize and thank Sylvie for her thoughtfulness and kindness in setting up this GoFundMe on behalf of the Humboldt Broncos.

In the coming weeks, we will make an announcement about the process to distribute the funds - know that we are working around the clock with our advisors to get the funds to our families as quickly as possible. MLT Aikins LLP law firm has graciously agreed to support us pro bono as we bring together the right teams of professionals to help us work through the steps of distributing these funds. We appreciate your patience as this process takes time and thoughtful consideration.

Please continue to check this campaign for information and updates.

Thank you for your generosity and support. #HumboldtStrong"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghostrider View Post

I totally agree with this post, especially the part about the gps. When you get a map out you plan your whole trip, which hiways were better, where the turns were etc. Following a gps only in a truck can get you into a lot of trouble, I used mine more for telling me the distance to where I was going.
              Unfortunately things like gps, automatic transmissions and low wages have produced more steering wheel holders and less real truck drivers
              We live on a Crescent buried deep into Whitmore Park. One night arou d 2:30 am our doorbell rang and it was a semi driver wondering if any of the cars parked on the street (blocking his way around a curve) were ours. They weren’t but when hubby asked WTH he was doing with a semi on our little crescent, the guy told him his GPS told him to come this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Rick's post should answer all those questions. I am sure they weren't naive enough to think that the hockey people would run the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by rickyg View Post

This is the latest update on the GoFundMe page. Looks like they have a law firm helping them now.

An update from the Humboldt Broncos:

"As we try to come to grips with our incredible loss, we have been overwhelmed by the donations we have received across Saskatchewan, Canada and from people around the world through GoFundMe - the support and solidarity has truly been awe-inspiring.

We would like to recognize and thank Sylvie for her thoughtfulness and kindness in setting up this GoFundMe on behalf of the Humboldt Broncos.

In the coming weeks, we will make an announcement about the process to distribute the funds - know that we are working around the clock with our advisors to get the funds to our families as quickly as possible. MLT Aikins LLP law firm has graciously agreed to support us pro bono as we bring together the right teams of professionals to help us work through the steps of distributing these funds. We appreciate your patience as this process takes time and thoughtful consideration.

Please continue to check this campaign for information and updates.

Thank you for your generosity and support. #HumboldtStrong"
                  Yep, well-done.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Rick's post should answer all those questions. I am sure they weren't naive enough to think that the hockey people would run the money.
                    It looks like they are on their way to having the administration of the funds well at hand. I am sure they, as well as most of us, have been blown away by the response and were not planning on needing people to administer the amount they had originally targeted for.

Comment

• Originally posted by VoR View Post
                      Wow- guess there were some tears left
                      thanks for posting

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

I would buy a portrait of that. Went to the local hardware store this aft and there was a hockey stick out front. No that is not going to help anyone but it did make me stop and think, again.
                        Helps those hurt to know someone cares

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy View Post

We live on a Crescent buried deep into Whitmore Park. One night arou d 2:30 am our doorbell rang and it was a semi driver wondering if any of the cars parked on the street (blocking his way around a curve) were ours. They weren’t but when hubby asked WTH he was doing with a semi on our little crescent, the guy told him his GPS told him to come this way.
                          Ho lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Poppy View Post

To get there, he'd have to have ignored prominent signs and training forbidden heavy trucks from leaving major roadways. GPS isn't an excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post

So after killing 1 person, or 4, or 15, where is the limit that an accident would suddenly change from failure to stop to something more severe? Yes, it is bad, but if he wasn't under the influence of anything, all he did was fail to stop.
                              I won't get into a discussion on this as I don't feel it is appropriate, but to simply answer your Q, 1 is too many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

It looks like they are on their way to having the administration of the funds well at hand. I am sure they, as well as most of us, have been blown away by the response and were not planning on needing people to administer the amount they had originally targeted for.
                                In the face of this devastation, it's comforting to see the rallying nature of people from across the entire country and world.

I was out of the country, but had heard early on about the news and devastating scope of the accident. I donated right away, and it was incredible to watch the amount of donations increasing by the several thousands literally each minute, as they had to keep changing the goal accordingly.

And as impactful to me are the little gestures coming out in various stories, from the little boy kissing the stick his family left out on the porch, to the mom's organizing jersey day, to another little boy asking for money for his birthday that he could donate.

I hope all these acts and donations can help those impacted find some degree of solace and comfort.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X