Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thai boys trapped in cave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai boys trapped in cave

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this, anyone following? 12 boys and their coach trapped in a cave that started flooding and they can't get out. They needed seal divers to even find them. Now they don't know what to do with rain coming, they might be in there for months or forced to swim out. They can try to train them to scuba out but most of the boys don't even know how to swim and officials are scared to do that. I hope this turns into a happy ending.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/i...5a5285fa384746

Definitely a captivating story. I sure hope for the best for them, it's a dicey situation they're in, at least the Seals were able to reach them so they can at least get supplies if they have to wait it out to October after the rainy season. You do have to think that the coach of those players is going to be as popular as a turd in a punch bowl. He's the one who led them in there on a supposed spontaneous expedition.

Comment

this should be in the main forum section...oh wait, it is not about the riders

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
        this should be in the main forum section...oh wait, it is not about the riders
        What?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdgenrf View Post

What?
            I was confused as well so I didn't respond lol.

Comment

Last I heard they (this morning) were able to pump some of the water out and they are trying to teach these boys (who were apparently celebrating one player's 16th birthday) how to dive to see if they can attempt to get them out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ridersrule View Post
                ...You do have to think that the coach of those players is going to be as popular as a turd in a punch bowl. He's the one who led them in there on a supposed spontaneous expedition.
                What the h**l was that coach thinking? He is the adult and should know of the dangers.

I don't like the looks of the submerged dip and rise for boys who can't swim. I wonder if they can learn to swim in their present location.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

What the h**l was that coach thinking? He is the adult and should know of the dangers.

I don't like the looks of the submerged dip and rise for boys who can't swim. I wonder if they can learn to swim in their present location.
                  He went into a cave that subsequently flooded. I wouldn't hang too much on the coach. I've been in caves and they are fascinating, it's a perfectly reasonable field trip. Just terrible consequences now.

You can't teach a kid to cave dive and swim 2 and a half miles if they can't even swim, I would guess (and this is just speculation) that they would be taught how to use Scuba gear and would be basically towed out by the pros.
                  Last edited by Sofaking; 07-05-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

He went into a cave that subsequently flooded. I wouldn't hang too much on the coach. I've been in caves and they are fascinating, it's a perfectly reasonable field trip. Just terrible consequences now.

You can't teach a kid to cave dive and swim 2 and a half miles if they can't even swim, I would guess (and this is just speculation) that they would be taught how to use Scuba gear and would be basically towed out by the pros.
                    There was talk of lines and lights, but the water isn't clear and cave diving is pretty dangerous at the best of times.

Comment

I guess you are right, but I understand that spelunking is extremely dangerous and I believe it.

So I lead a boring but safe life and others take these risks. Chacun a son gout, as they say in French (each to his own).

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

I guess you are right, but I understand that spelunking is extremely dangerous and I believe it.

So I lead a boring but safe life and others take these risks. Chacun a son gout, as they say in French (each to his own).
                        The caves I have been in are tourist traps and perfectly safe. Cave diving is a whole other story. The coach seemed to be trying just to take his team on a field trip into one and it flooded.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos View Post

There was talk of lines and lights, but the water isn't clear and cave diving is pretty dangerous at the best of times.
                          Previous post said it was 2.5 miles. That is a long friggen way to try and get out on a rope. I know less than 0 about the Philippine seals, and doubt they are as skilled as the US Navy. I still think that the strongest swimmers of them between the Phillippines the US and the British are going to teach them SCUBA and tow them out. They can't stay there until October.

Comment

I read or heard somewhere that he's going to charged with negligence or something like that when he gets out. I wonder what it's like in a Thai prison.

Comment

Previous post said it was 2.5 miles. That is a long friggen way to try and get out on a rope. I know less than 0 about the Philippine seals, and doubt they are as skilled as the US Navy. I still think that the strongest swimmers of them between the Phillippines the US and the British are going to teach them SCUBA and tow them out. They can't stay there until October.
                              It's not that simple.
                              https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/opini...za/index.html]

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X