Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's on Netflix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pwnzorelli View Post

I'd give it another try if I were you, it isn't about the crime committed but the 'investigation' and fallout from it - it gets much more interesting further in... but to each their own.
    Ok thanks. Maybe later I'll try again. There's just so much interesting stuff to get to. Not enough time.

Comment

Volcano (1997) .. **** this was bad. I'm not having much luck finding good stuff lately.

Comment

You guys have to check out "Sherlock". Not the original stories like the classic Sherlock Holmes stuff which stuck close to the books, but new crime tales that are up-to-today relevant. The kind of stuff the BBC is so good at; we don't see the "regular" BBC stuff which airs in the UK and is not much different than CBC fare, maybe even worse, but they do manage to create a few gems, and Sherlock is one.

It's masterfully shot, the dialog is excellent, and you don't need to be from Manchester to understand the accents.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes, and is a real asshole, which I found to be an interesting take on the character. Bonus: the women seem to really like him, so you can watch this one with the missus. Not kids fare, though ... some late night topics.

I also liked "Father Brown", a series, not BBC but one of the other UK networks. Again really well put together, I don't know where they find those British actors but the casting is top shelf. He's a Catholic Priest who has a hobby solving crimes, much to the chagrin of the local constabulary. Set in the 30's and 40's.

Finally, "Poirot". The Belgian detective, superb acting, great plots and dialogue, and you can spot some fantastic classic British and European cars in every episode, plus the Art Deco sets are truly masterful. You'll want to win the lottery and redecorate your house. Set a decade or so earlier than Father Brown.

More into the nasty crime category, there is the Columbian drug lord series about Pablo Escobar called "Narcos". Totally engrossing. There is also "Pablo Escobar, el patrĂ³n del mal" which is a multi-part documentary made in Columbia. You need to put up with subtitles, but it's a chilling fact-based docu-drama that is surprisingly well acted. If covers some of the same ground as Narcos, but sticks a little closer to the actual events.

That's many hours of Netflix watching right there.
        Last edited by Gordguide; 05-08-2017, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by imschatz View Post
          Volcano (1997) .. **** this was bad. I'm not having much luck finding good stuff lately.
          Haha, I just love your adventurism in movies!

Comment

Originally posted by Joeywalters View Post

Haha, I just love your adventurism in movies!
            Haha. I work shift work. So on weekends/night shifts there can be lots of time to watch Netflix, and to dig around the bottom of the barrel. Save the good movies for the big-screen at home.

With that said .. that Volcano movie was an embarassment. If I ever get a chance to meet Tommy Lee Jones .. I'll be asking him WTF he was thinking doing that one.

Comment

Originally posted by imschatz View Post
              I screwed up. Gave up on convincing my girlfriend to watch Mad Max: Fury Road with me. So I watched it at work, on my computer with headphones. Definitely should have been watched on the big screen at home. 5* movie, top to bottom. Should have done more reading .. but for an action movie like that to get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture .. I knew it was supposed to be good, just wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Comment

"Get Me Roger Stone". Essential viewing for politics junkies.

Comment

Mentioned it earlier but finished binge watching 13 Reason Why and it's really great. The premise is a teeneager has killed herself and leaves behind tapes explaining all the things that happened. It's obviously a depressing show but there are some great scenes and yes they show her suicide and it's as bad as you think. It's reslly well acted and I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of acting nods next seasons espcially the mother.

If you have a teenager or school aged kid their school has probably already notified you. I don't think show glamorizes anything but...

https://youtu.be/JebwYGn5Z3E
                  Last edited by bzborow1; 05-14-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Just started watching "Dreamland" which is basically the Australian version of "The 0ffice". It's about an office called Nation Building Authority whose purpose is to build infrastructure projects around Australia. Thing is nothing gets accomplished and projects get bogged down in useless meetings and endless planning stages. Quite funny.

Comment

New seasons of Bloodlines and House of Cards....I'm a happy man
                      Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                        New seasons of Bloodlines and House of Cards....I'm a happy man
                        Binge watched Bloodline last week. Loved the series but the final 2 episodes were rather weak I thought. Just didn't really like the way it ended. Far too many unanswered questions.

House of Cards .... watched the first 3 episodes of the new season. As good as ever .... art imitating life.... or is it the other way around!

Comment

"The Driver", with David Morrissey. (The Governor, to "Walking Dead" fans.)

Looking forward to starting the new season of "House of Cards" tonight.

Comment

Watched War Machine, satire on Afghan war. It was ok. Some funny satirical lines.

Comment

I don't have NetFlix so I haven't seen any episodes, but my brother is a set decorator on "A Series of Unfortunate Events" based on the Lemony Snickett books. He toured me through a few of the sets when I was in Vancouver last week. Holy cow! Incredible stuff. Definitely spending feature film-style money on a TV series.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordguide View Post
                                You guys have to check out "Sherlock". Not the original stories like the classic Sherlock Holmes stuff which stuck close to the books, but new crime tales that are up-to-today relevant. The kind of stuff the BBC is so good at; we don't see the "regular" BBC stuff which airs in the UK and is not much different than CBC fare, maybe even worse, but they do manage to create a few gems, and Sherlock is one.

It's masterfully shot, the dialog is excellent, and you don't need to be from Manchester to understand the accents.

Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock Holmes, and is a real asshole, which I found to be an interesting take on the character. Bonus: the women seem to really like him, so you can watch this one with the missus. Not kids fare, though ... some late night topics.
                                X 1,000. The BBC "Sherlock" series is fantastic.

Another London-based detective-show-with-a-twist I've been binge watching is "Lucky Man," starting Jimmy Nesbitt. Based on a Stan Lee comic, of all things, but dark and suspenseful.

Last edited by Doug123; 06-02-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X