Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seahawks punter Jon Ryan steps aside as Regina Pride's grand marshal

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seahawks punter Jon Ryan steps aside as Regina Pride's grand marshal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ride-1.4699713

Ryan says negativity over his selection has made him decide to withdraw

The Seattle Seahawks' Jon Ryan has decided to withdraw as grand marshal of Regina's Pride parade, saying the decision came after much thought and conversation with his wife and friends in the LGBT community.

"The negativity it's bringing is the opposite of what pride stands for and as an ally, I want to step aside so that the community has someone they all agree on in the role," he wrote in an email shared with CBC News.

Ryan said he was incredibly honoured to be asked and will continue to stand up for equality and for the LGBT community, writing, "nothing about that has or ever will change."

Some had raised concerns about Ryan leading the June 16 parade, rather than a member of the LGBT community. Others also felt the choice of a NFL athlete as a marshal overshadowed the work of AIDS Program South Saskatchewan (APSS), the parade's second grand marshal.

Pride organizers released a statement acknowledging "pain and hurt was caused by this decision," inviting LGBT athletes to join as a Pride in Sports marshal. The statement also noted the parade would lead with APSS and the Pride in Sports marshal, and would end with Queen City Pride, members of the community and Ryan.

Well this situation drifted into the ditch. Queen City Pride claimed Ryan was still on board after the meeting and was super committed to doing it. Then he was replaced, not with a person but with an amorphous concept.

i get the current ideal of making sure we listen to genuine victims. But unfortunately that now has to include people whose "hurt" seems dubious.

Comment

A person with Jon Ryan’s stature lends his time and name to an event and people complain because he’s not one of them? That doesn’t sound very inclusive, I hope those who complained have no pride in their actions.

Comment

No surprise. It's standard-issue identity politics: Only those who have lived our experiences have a right to speak about our lives. All others -- even those who agree with us -- are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldguard View Post
          No surprise. It's standard-issue identity politics: Only those who have lived our experiences have a right to speak about our lives. All others -- even those who agree with us -- are irrelevant.
          I think certainly some in the LGBT community feel that way, and that is their right to. I'm sure this decision was unfortunately hotly contested amongst organizers, and ultimately, I thing they made the wrong decision. If they had someone who is a better candidate though, then fair play, but it doesn't sound like they did.

End of the day, not really anyone's business but theirs, and the marshall of the parade isn't supposed to be MY favorite choice, as I am not relevant to the converstaion of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post
            Well this situation drifted into the ditch. Queen City Pride claimed Ryan was still on board after the meeting and was super committed to doing it. Then he was replaced, not with a person but with an amorphous concept.

i get the current ideal of making sure we listen to genuine victims. But unfortunately that now has to include people whose "hurt" seems dubious.
            Several years ago a video surfaced in which MP Tom Lukiwski, who was a Devine gov't aide at the time, was seen uttering some homophobic slurs. Even though he apologized the LGBT community tried to force him to be the parade marshall. He was clearly not a member of the community.

So now we have another non-member who was honoured to be the marshall & there's enough beeping & squeaking from the LGBTQ crowd that it winds up he steps aside to quell the "controversy".

Comment

I think it was wonderful of Ryan to accept the position and i do not whatsoever blame him for relinquishing it.

It is just my opinion, but some strident people in the rainbow community cannot accept what a gift they had in someone like Ryan. Tough noogies to them.

Comment

Originally posted by coralharbour View Post

Several years ago a video surfaced in which MP Tom Lukiwski, who was a Devine gov't aide at the time, was seen uttering some homophobic slurs. Even though he apologized the LGBT community tried to force him to be the parade marshall. He was clearly not a member of the community.

So now we have another non-member who was honoured to be the marshall & there's enough beeping & squeaking from the LGBTQ crowd that it winds up he steps aside to quell the "controversy".
                Your repetitive "beeping and squeaking" line is tired, old, not funny, and frankly, disrespectful. It undermines your point.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

Your repetitive "beeping and squeaking" line is tired, old, not funny, and frankly, disrespectful. It undermines your point.
                  It should fit in great with the group being discussed though. No idea how you want to have a discussion about equality and inclusion when you only want folks like you participating??

Comment

Good grief...the event about inclusiveness ends up having a strong exclusive stripe.

I thought the choice of Ryan was uber progressive of the LGBTQ folks, but clearly they're not as far in the fight as Ryan is.
                    Last edited by dokterew; 06-10-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

It should fit in great with the group being discussed though. No idea how you want to have a discussion about equality and inclusion when you only want folks like you participating??
                      "The group" are not some collective with only one thought or opinion. The organizers made a decision. Live with it, move on, don't minimize them or trivialize their reasons. Thats really nobody's business.

Comment

These people deserve zero support. "You can't support us... you are not like us...wawwww". WTF... Here I thought the whole concept was to be just another person no different then anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by tickdog View Post
                          These people deserve zero support. "You can't support us... you are not like us...wawwww". WTF... Here I thought the whole concept was to be just another person no different then anyone else.
                          They don't need support from the likes of people like you.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

They don't need support from the likes of people like you.
                            They don't deserve it...that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldguard View Post
                              Except with race, white people can yell BLM and it's cool.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X