Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Movies: Oldies but goodies you love to watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheAxeMan View Post

Sunset Boulevard is a must see for any old movie buff.
    Yes awesome. And the cameos from stars of the silent era . Including Gloria Swanson who brought somewhat over dramatic physical acting from that period ...pretty cool

Another very good William Holden flick is Stalag 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
      I quit going for quite a few years in the mid 80's when someone burnt our small town theater down... There used to be theaters in all small towns. My Grandpa ran the one in Wapella back in the 50's. Now a city the size of Weyburn doesn't have one anymore.
      aawww yes, the old small town theaters where people brought in garbage bags of popcorn ohhhh and they had double seats in the front row.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
          Anyone remember the first movie you ever went to in a theater? I can recall my parents taking me with them to see a couple classics at our little small town theatre:
          El Cid 1961
          The Alamo 1960

The most memorable early movie experience for me was the first Bond thriller, Dr. No (1962), I can vividly recall Ursula Andress coming out of the water in that clingy little bikini! And I was only 9, maybe 10 as we probably didn't get the movie til a year after it was released ...
          First movie I ever went to was The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, an old Disney movie. First big person movie was Smokey and the Bandit. First movie at a drive in was Grease.

Comment

• Hmmmm

Two I recall as a youngster going to . True Grit and Planet Of The Apes . The latter one I recall , running home scared thinking that apes may jump out towards me from the hedges

Comment

• The Gold Rush a silent classic movie from 1925 starring Charlie Chaplin just finished airing on TCM. Entertaining movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

First movie I ever went to was The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, an old Disney movie. First big person movie was Smokey and the Bandit. First movie at a drive in was Grease.
                A classic. Wasn't it starring Kurt Russel?

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

A classic. Wasn't it starring Kurt Russel?
                  That and a few others. Barefoot Executive and the Strongest Man in the World. Then there were the Love Bug movies and of course, A Man Named Flintstone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

You mentioned Sunset Boulevard above. I borrowed it yesterday and watched it for only the second time after some quarter-century. Great premise, script and acting. It was a slam on Hollywood, so I suppose that's why it won only one Oscar, for best screenplay methinks.
                    Three. And it would likely have won many more, had it not been up against "All About Eve". (Also "The Asphalt Jungle", "Born Yesterday", "The Third Man", "Broken Arrow", etc. It was a pretty good year for the movies.)

Comment

Sunset Boulevard is a must see for any old movie buff.
                      Movies with a similarly bitter, cynical tone, all seen from time to time on TCM: "Ace in the Hole" (Wilder again); "The Sweet Smell of Success"; "The Manchurian Candidate".

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldguard View Post
                        Movies with a similarly bitter, cynical tone, all seen from time to time on TCM: "Ace in the Hole" (Wilder again); "The Sweet Smell of Success"; "The Manchurian Candidate".

I believe I have seen those as well as the tv here is no TCM if not watching Netflix or Prime. Been watching TCM since 1991.

Comment

Watched it too. Just love the car chase in that movie.
                          Great car chase scene but the Charger lost 8 hubcaps.
                          No teacher, cake are square, pie are round.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenius View Post

Great car chase scene but the Charger lost 8 hubcaps.
                            That would take some doing. What sharp eyes you have!

I know it's coming, but I always do a little jump when the two muscle cars really start the chase. Vroom!

Comment

• Not sure if these count as a classic oldies but I enjoy "My Favourite Year" starring Peter O'Toole and, every Christmas, watching "White Christmas" starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, and "Meet Me In St. Louis" starring Judy Garland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug123 View Post
                                Not sure if these count as a classic oldies but I enjoy "My Favourite Year" starring Peter O'Toole and, every Christmas, watching "White Christmas" starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, and "Meet Me In St. Louis" starring Judy Garland.
                                Only recently became a tradition for me, about the past 8 years.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X