Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Movies: Oldies but goodies you love to watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've concluded that the ambience around a movie has to be comfortable to us; something we can relate to. i think the first movie i saw in a theatre, that i can remember, was the long, long trailer. Maybe 1955? Then the ten Commandments. But we had to be comfortable with the message and the philosophy.

I was born in the late 40s and grew up with the changing times. Even now, I can love the acting in 1950s All About Eve, dated and "slow" as it is. I'd rather call it plot and character development/

I stopped going to movies in the 90s when the profanity, sex and non relevant stuff no longer mattered to me any more. Just didn't suit me any more.

Comment

• I quit going for quite a few years in the mid 80's when someone burnt our small town theater down... There used to be theaters in all small towns. My Grandpa ran the one in Wapella back in the 50's. Now a city the size of Weyburn doesn't have one anymore.

Comment

• I miss Russ Meyer.
        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post
          Bullit was on TCM last night.

Watched it too. Just love the car chase in that movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
            I miss Russ Meyer.
            Memories of the Roxy theatre on 20th St in Saskatoon circa 1972, Sunday night was Russ Meyer night!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190416-094730_Google.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	430626
            Last edited by danno; 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• If we are going a long way back I've always enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird

Comment

• Larceny Inc. 1942
                A decent crime comedy with Edward G Robinson. Jayne Wyman along with other greats

No CGI to hide a boring script and poor acting

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAxeMan View Post

Watched it too. Just love the car chase in that movie.
                  Chase is good but man, I always wanted that car! Hell, I would have gladly taken that Charger too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Chase is good but man, I always wanted that car! Hell, I would have gladly taken that Charger too.

I would have loved to have the Mustang Steve McQueen drove or that beautiful Charger.
                    Steve McQueen did all his own driving in those chase scenes. Sad we lost him at such an early age as he was great in a lot of movies.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Shotgun;n430635]Larceny Inc. 1942
                      A decent crime comedy with Edward G Robinson. Jayne Wyman along with other greats

Yes that is good flick. Edward G. is one of my fav old actors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

You mentioned Sunset Boulevard above. I borrowed it yesterday and watched it for only the second time after some quarter-century. Great premise, script and acting. It was a slam on Hollywood, so I suppose that's why it won only one Oscar, for best screenplay methinks.

Sunset Boulevard is a must see for any old movie buff.

Comment

• I have always had an affinity for the old Vincent Price/ Edgar Allen Poe movies. I don't know if it because they used to scare the bejesus out of me and they aren't really scary by today's standards. CBC Regina used to have Horror theatre on Saturday late night and the opening was of a hearse with a coffin being loaded into it.. House of Usher, Pit and Pendulum and Telltale Heart.

Comment

• I loved the original Cape Fear, 1962, with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum. Scary stuff and better than the 1992 remake with Robert Deniro, although it was rather scary as well.

Comment

• “Double Indemnity“ - 1944 with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. Billy Wilder was a great director.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheAxeMan View Post

I would have loved to have the Mustang Steve McQueen drove or that beautiful Charger.
                                Steve McQueen did all his own driving in those chase scenes. Sad we lost him at such an early age as he was great in a lot of movies.
                                Loved the guy, loved that scene but this is an urban myth. He drove some of the scene where they were showing his face.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X