Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Movies: Oldies but goodies you love to watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder that The Godfather is playing June 4 and 7 at the Cineplex (formerly Galaxy):
    https://www.cineplex.com/Events/ClassicFilmSeries

Comment

Watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off sick on the couch on Thursday. Another very high re-watch-ability factor movie.

Comment

Singin' in the Rain
        It was raining so I had to think of this movie from 1951. It's playing mid July as part of the classic film series presented by Odeon cineplex (formerly Galaxy) at Normanview. Probably the best dancing ever seen on screen, combined with a witty script. It doesn't seem dated to me because the era of the silents to talkies was ancient history some 20 years later when I first saw it.

I highly recommend this movie to take your grandparents or older relatives to. And secretly you will probably like it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          I love old movies. I don't generally care about superheroes or CGI and while I'm sure there are lots of good new movies, I prefer something more story driven than mayhem and eye candy.

I watch a lot of film noir - Third Man, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Casablanca,and others find their way onto my TV at least once a year. I love Hitchcock, as well. My biggest vice are spaghetti westerns - the Dollars trilogy is phenomenal, and, of course, Once Upon a Time in the West - as far as I'm concerned, the all time best western (along with Unforgiven) and one of my favourite movies of all time.

Getting a little more modern, it's inconceivable that I change the channel when The Princess Bride is on. If they air it, I will watch Field of Dreams. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Seven, The Silence of the Lambs, The Usual Suspects, and most anything from the Coen brothers are classics I've seen probably dozens of times. The sheer brilliant stupidity of Airplane and the first two Naked Gun movies will always make me laugh throughout. This is Spinal Tap and Monty Python and the Holy Grail are other comedies that I'll always watch when I see them.
          You mentioned Sunset Boulevard above. I borrowed it yesterday and watched it for only the second time after some quarter-century. Great premise, script and acting. It was a slam on Hollywood, so I suppose that's why it won only one Oscar, for best screenplay methinks.

Comment

If this thread is back, I will add Once Upon a Time in the west.

Comment

For fans of old but still rewatchable movies, Bill Simmons (The SPorts Guy) hosts a great podcast called "The rewatchables" where he and a guest or two (usually writers from the ringer) go over a classic movie in great detail. Usually ones from the late 80's/90's when these guys were teens, but they really break it down well.

Comment

An old movie I have watched many times is "The Secret of Santa Vittoria", a fantastic WW2 movie that combines drama and comedy in a very effective manner. The book is even better.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064952/

Comment

Bullit was on TCM last night.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                    For fans of old but still rewatchable movies, Bill Simmons (The SPorts Guy) hosts a great podcast called "The rewatchables" where he and a guest or two (usually writers from the ringer) go over a classic movie in great detail. Usually ones from the late 80's/90's when these guys were teens, but they really break it down well.
                    It must be about perspective. To me, movies from the 80s and 90s are modern. Must be my own personal time warp. I think it's hilarious to call an 80s movie a classic.

I haven't heard about anything wotth watching beyond the first Pirates of the Caribbean and only for Johnny Depp.

I have a large stash of movies from 50s to 70s and love them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

It must be about perspective. To me, movies from the 80s and 90s are modern. Must be my own personal time warp. I think it's hilarious to call an 80s movie a classic.

I haven't heard about anything wotth watching beyond the first Pirates of the Caribbean and only for Johnny Depp.

I have a large stash of movies from 50s to 70s and love them all.
                      I think we all love movies from a certain period in our lives. For you thats the 50-70's. By and large, I find those movies to be slow and dull. MOviemaking, to me, changed very much in the late 70's early 80's with Spielberg and the advent of the fast moving action adventure movie like Jaws or Indiana Jones. From there we were off to the races with some of the best filmed action movies ever. COmedic sensibilities in the 80's as well really fit me well as a teen then, so I enjoy those as well.

Comment

• "Touch of Evil"

Comment

• Anyone remember the first movie you ever went to in a theater? I can recall my parents taking me with them to see a couple classics at our little small town theatre:
                          El Cid 1961
                          The Alamo 1960

The most memorable early movie experience for me was the first Bond thriller, Dr. No (1962), I can vividly recall Ursula Andress coming out of the water in that clingy little bikini! And I was only 9, maybe 10 as we probably didn't get the movie til a year after it was released ...

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

I think we all love movies from a certain period in our lives. For you thats the 50-70's. By and large, I find those movies to be slow and dull. MOviemaking, to me, changed very much in the late 70's early 80's with Spielberg and the advent of the fast moving action adventure movie like Jaws or Indiana Jones. From there we were off to the races with some of the best filmed action movies ever. COmedic sensibilities in the 80's as well really fit me well as a teen then, so I enjoy those as well.
                            I agree

1975 Jaws
                            1977 Star wars, Smokey and the Bandit, Slap Shot, Airport

The movies I have watched before these and actually enjoyed are few and far between. The Hustler, The Birds, and The Graduate are the only ones that come to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                              Anyone remember the first movie you ever went to in a theater? I can recall my parents taking me with them to see a couple classics at our little small town theatre:
                              El Cid 1961
                              The Alamo 1960

The most memorable early movie experience for me was the first Bond thriller, Dr. No (1962), I can vividly recall Ursula Andress coming out of the water in that clingy little bikini! And I was only 9, maybe 10 as we probably didn't get the movie til a year after it was released ...
                              Smokey and the Bandit 2. Probably the only reason I remember is my parents phoned friends of theirs to make sure it was appropriate for a 6 year old to see lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                                Anyone remember the first movie you ever went to in a theater? I can recall my parents taking me with them to see a couple classics at our little small town theatre:
                                El Cid 1961
                                The Alamo 1960

I went to movies a lot as a kid as me and my brothers or friends would hop on a bus from when we lived way out in Dieppe and we'd go downtown to all the old classic movie theaters we used to have. The first really memorable movie for me in those days was the original Jaws as I was 8 or 9 when I first saw it and I'm pretty sure it freaked me out quite a bit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X