Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Movies: Oldies but goodies you love to watch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Movies: Oldies but goodies you love to watch?

I just watched Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare. I like these from several decades ago because, while the effects have been dwarfed by today's CGI, the plot and characterization are so fine. I'll also watch The Dirty Dozen shortly, at least until the point where the motley crew is enroute to their mission. After that it becomes gruesome and unconscionable violence.

Other goodies I like and which your ladies might like are: Rosemary's Baby, Charade, Wait Until Dark.

The 60s and 70s were the high watermark of film making, but I might remember it as such because it was also my high watermark.

Movies back then definitely had a slower pace, something that most audiences wouldn't tolerate these days. One of my favorites is the original Rocky. So much different and so much better than any of the sequels, but it had that same slow 70's pace to it. Another one is the godfather, just amazing from start to finish, but it is long.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
      Movies back then definitely had a slower pace, something that most audiences wouldn't tolerate these days. One of my favorites is the original Rocky. So much different and so much better than any of the sequels, but it had that same slow 70's pace to it. Another one is the godfather, just amazing from start to finish, but it is long.
      Oh, yes, I forgot to mention The Godfather, Parts 1 and 2. I saw them both in theatre release. Everyone was amazed by them at the time. I watched them both recently and for me they held up remarkably well. I have never watched Rocky, but you give me reason to.

Comment

Old.........those arnt old movies.

Always pull out The Scarlet Pimpernel from 1934 at least once a year.

Agreed that what is lacking now a days is the slower paced and the story telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Agreed that what is lacking now a days is the slower paced and the story telling.
          Well, slow pace is nice sometimes, but jeesh, some of those old movies are almost unwatchable because of it. It had to be a good movie if it was going to have that pace, because if it wasn't it was torture.

Comment

Also, the original Taking of Pelham One Two Three. Walter Matthau was so politically incorrect, but Robert Shaw was chilling.

Most of the titles mentioned are available from the Sask Library Consortium, thanks to the restoration of inter library loans.
            Last edited by Sprout; 05-23-2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about what 'old' is.

I love classics because they did rely on story unlike many of today's movies that are all special effects. (not that I dislike that either, because it too has it's place)

Old good movies:

On the Waterfront
              All About Eve
              Sunsent Boulevard
              Chinatown

Those four have absolutely great stories.

A bit newer but still pretty old/Classic:

One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest
              The Deer Hunter
              The Graduate

These 3 are absolutely fascinating.

Comment

I have watched most of them and agree totally with those mentioned:
                All About Eve
                Sunset Boulevard
                Chinatown
                One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
                The Graduate

Such great plots and acting! Chinatown was a force de majeure. Nicholson and Dunaway have never been better, nor the supporting actors.
                Last edited by Sprout; 05-22-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Anyone interested in 'getting into classics' but don't know where to start, my wife and I checked out the American Film Institutes Top 100 films of all time. Our mistake was that we watched some of the top 20 before some of the 60-100. Once you've seen some of the best ever, others are a bit wanting. Still, it's pretty much a guarantee of great movies, most of them classics.

Interestingly but not surprisingly, The Godfather and the Godfather II are the only original and sequel to make the list and they are both in the top 20.

Comment

I used to watch Where Eagles Dare every Christmas time. It always seemed to come on sometime between Christmas and New Year's but not this year. An oldie I like to watch is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I always liked the Devil's Brigade too.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Nice,...

I will still watch those old Errol Flynn/ Olivia de Havilland films from the 1930s any chance I get. Among my faves are 1935's "Captain Blood" , 1936's "Charge of the Light Brigade" and 1938's "Robin Hood" .

I also count as part of my favorite films, John Ford's Calvary Trilogy that starred John Wayne ; particularily 1948's "Fort Apache" (perhaps my favorite movie all time), and 1949's "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

And of course,...what old movie fan could not include "Casablanca" from 1942.

Turner Classic Movies is one cable channel that I really loved to watch on a regular business.
                      Last edited by Green in Queen City; 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I have seen The Shawshank Redemption 3 or 4 times, only because my wife had it on at least 10 times, same thing for The Green Mile, both from the 90's. I enjoy a few from the 40's occasionally but am not really a movie guy. Bell has given us about 3 months of HBO free but only saw one movie, sorry Bell, not biting.
                        No teacher, cake are square, pie are round.

Comment

This one is from the70s, when a silly movie was known for more than just being silliness

Foul Play, with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8rkoC32gGg

Comment

I watch The Shawshank Redemption, The Usual Suspects, The Magnificent Seven, The Godfather 1&2 (Roflmao can you spot the pattern?) Goodfellas and Life of Brian whenever I get a chance, usually at least once a year. Same with Band of Brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post
                              I watch The Shawshank Redemption, The Usual Suspects, The Magnificent Seven, The Godfather 1&2 (Roflmao can you spot the pattern?) Goodfellas and Life of Brian whenever I get a chance, usually at least once a year. Same with Band of Brothers.
                              A more modern one that may or may not fit, Ingliorious Basterds

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X