Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting take on solar/wind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting take on solar/wind

https://fcpp.org/2017/05/12/more-sol...ot-a-blessing/

Yeah, I know. Frontier Centre is a conservative think tank.

Originally posted by coralharbour View Post
    https://fcpp.org/2017/05/12/more-sol...ot-a-blessing/

Yeah, I know. Frontier Centre is a conservative think tank.
    Definitely a right wing slant for sure but pretty much everything in there is correct except for the climate change denial part.

Comment

Of the two, wind and solar, especially in Canada, wind will have a larger place moving forward that's for sure. Cost per Kw/hr is dropping pretty rapidly and it won't be too long before we get to that magic 50% renewable base, with wind and hydro in the mix. But yeah, solar... I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
        Of the two, wind and solar, especially in Canada, wind will have a larger place moving forward that's for sure. Cost per Kw/hr is dropping pretty rapidly and it won't be too long before we get to that magic 50% renewable base, with wind and hydro in the mix. But yeah, solar... I'm not seeing it.
        Interesting. Solar is literally everywhere in Europe. In Germany, for instance, nearly every house in Bavaria has solar panels on the roof and there are solar farms all over the countryside.

I don't know why we don't invest more in wind power here in Saskatchewan. I mean, man we have so much wide open space and so much freakin wind. Seems like a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by universityparkpride View Post

Interesting. Solar is literally everywhere in Europe. In Germany, for instance, nearly every house in Bavaria has solar panels on the roof and there are solar farms all over the countryside.

I don't know why we don't invest more in wind power here in Saskatchewan. I mean, man we have so much wide open space and so much freakin wind. Seems like a no-brainer.
          It's been discussed why on here many times.

Comment

Solar will be a joke until the collection facilities become more developed, but once those collection facilities are running more and prove out it is a real game changer. The two big problems with the solar industry and lumping all of those jobs together is that it is still a very 'in-development' technology for collection farms so those employ a lot of people with little actual output (yet) and the second is that it likely includes every dinky little system out there. For us, we use solar heating for our hot water and can't imagine not having it. I firmly believe in the solar collection farms in Canada because we have very high average sun-light here. The stand-alone solar collection, not so much, and I generally find them to be a joke, though I guess that is all a part of the development process over time and its evolution.
            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
              Solar will be a joke until the collection facilities become more developed, but once those collection facilities are running more and prove out it is a real game changer. The two big problems with the solar industry and lumping all of those jobs together is that it is still a very 'in-development' technology for collection farms so those employ a lot of people with little actual output (yet) and the second is that it likely includes every dinky little system out there. For us, we use solar heating for our hot water and can't imagine not having it. I firmly believe in the solar collection farms in Canada because we have very high average sun-light here. The stand-alone solar collection, not so much, and I generally find them to be a joke, though I guess that is all a part of the development process over time and its evolution.
              Actually no we don't, we have the exact opposite. Solar collection works in areas that not only have lots of sunlight but lots of heat. It's waste of time here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Actually no we don't, we have the exact opposite. Solar collection works in areas that not only have lots of sunlight but lots of heat. It's waste of time here.
                Solar power does not generate power from heat. That is not how it works at all. It is less efficient in the winter simply because there is less sunlight and it is is less intense, but heat is really a nominal factor in it.

As far as sunlight, Saskatoon and Regina are in the top 5 in Canada:
                http://notable.ca/these-are-the-majo...most-sunlight/
                1. Calgary, Alberta: 2396
                2. Winnipeg, Manitoba: 2353
                3. Edmonton, Alberta: 2345
                4. Regina, Saskatchewan: 2318
                5. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: 2268
                6. Victoria, British Columbia: 2109
                7. Ottawa, Ontario: 2084
                8. Toronto, Ontario: 2066
                9. St. John, New Brunswick: 1947
                10. Vancouver, British Columbia: 1938
                And if you do any amount of reading on it Canada is in the lower upper half overall for average sunlight.

The premier collection farms take about 6-8 hours of sunlight to provide 3-4 days of capacity for turbines. Yes, in the dead of winter there may be a lapse to get to full capacity, but why do you need to be at full capacity? Not saying it should be the only source of power. If you are going to rely heavily on renewables you are going to need to have greater overlap in technology.
                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Solar power does not generate power from heat. That is not how it works at all. It is less efficient in the winter simply because there is less sunlight and it is is less intense, but heat is really a nominal factor in it.

And if you do any amount of reading on it Canada is in the lower upper half overall for average sunlight.

The premier collection farms take about 6-8 hours of sunlight to provide 3-4 days of capacity for turbines. Yes, in the dead of winter there may be a lapse to get to full capacity, but why do you need to be at full capacity? Not saying it should be the only source of power. If you are going to rely heavily on renewables you are going to need to have greater overlap in technology.
                  By heat, I think what he's saying, is that in countries that don't need to heat their houses, it takes a huge load off the electric needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post

By heat, I think what he's saying, is that in countries that don't need to heat their houses, it takes a huge load off the electric needs.
                    I don't think natural gas as a primary heating means in much of Canada is going away any time soon.
                    #keepthepromise

Comment

Actually solar collection do generate power by heat. There are two type of technologies photo-voltayic which directly converts the suns energy into electricity and solar thermal collectors which are capturing heat and using that heat in order to drive a turbine. Most of the new technology being developed in places revolve around thermal collectors.

As far as sunlight here you go.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	600px-Sunshine.png Views:	1 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	22812

Not sure why the legend didn't post but it's a map of annual sunshine taking into account factors such as rain and clouds (blue is lower).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_duration

Comment

I don't think natural gas as a primary heating means in much of Canada is going away any time soon.
                        Natural gas is very common here but is not as common as you might think in other parts of the country.

Natural gas and electricity were the most common types of energy used for home heating in 2007. Almost half (47%) of Canadian households used natural gas as their main heating fuel, while 37% used electricity. A further 9% used oil, 6% used wood or wood pellets and 1% used propane.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-526-...artie1-eng.htm

Comment

Found out there is a farmer near Lashburn that is putting up a bunch of solar panels. Hopes that what power is produced during the summer offsets his winter costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                            Found out there is a farmer near Lashburn that is putting up a bunch of solar panels. Hopes that what power is produced during the summer offsets his winter costs.
                            If he made a big enough investment it probably will. He will just never even come close to beginning to pay off his investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

If he made a big enough investment it probably will. He will just never even come close to beginning to pay off his investment.
                              Something about maybe it will be paid off by the time he dies.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X