Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Yard Care Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

I haven't seen fertilizer burn grass in years. I suppose if you dumped a boatload on and it was dry for a week maybe but i can't see fertilizing the lawn months apart burning the lawn.
    If you fertilizer late in the fall, the fertilizer just sits in the soil and will not activate until the snow melts and adds moisture to the grass in the spring. If you fertilize early spring after fertilizing late fall, it is like dumping a boatload of fertilizer on. Grass isn't growing anymore in late october so the fertilizer is not being used until the spring, so fertilizing in early spring and late fall would essentially be doubling up on fertilizer and potentially burning the grass. I use agriculture fertilizer so it may be a little more potent then the bagged stuff from the big box stores. I always fertilize as late as I can in October, that way as soon as the snow is gone and the ground temperture is above 0 the grass shoots up like crazy in the spring. Then about 3 -4 weeks after that I will give it another dose of fertilizer and then usually another shot in late July early August.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Yea I've never burnt grass. I've used drop spreaders and broadcast and put way too much on a couple times and never hurt anything.
      Next time you are driving around the city/town look at the lawns. The edge where guys have turned around with the spreaders sometimes have a burnt tinge to it. It usually comes back right away but I always see it when I'm touring around. I guess if you water the piss out of it after putting too much on that would help it from not burning as well.
      Last edited by kbench55; 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I found this great article that helps explain the "art of fertilizing" lol

http://www.lestercontracting.ca/blog...apply-and-when

Comment

Originally posted by The_G View Post

Curtail M is excellent on thistles, and dandelions, it won't kill the grass. That being said now is not the time to kill thistles, later in the fall would be better. If you sprayed them now you'll likely burn them to a crisp but a few may come back next year.
          Is that only available in large quantities, like for 1000 times the size of my yard?

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

Is that only available in large quantities, like for 1000 times the size of my yard?
            It's not terribly expensive, I think it might be something like an 8L jug, but if I remember correctly it's maybe $120? A jug maybe. But yes, I think one jug does something like 40 acres, so you'll have Curtail M for years!!! Sorry just looked it up, one jug does 20-25 acres, still a fair amount of chemical though.
            Last edited by The_G; 08-09-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

It's not terribly expensive, I think it might be something like an 8L jug, but if I remember correctly it's maybe $120? A jug maybe. But yes, I think one jug does something like 40 acres, so you'll have Curtail M for years!!!
              No kidding lol.

Comment

No kidding lol.
                I edited my post, it's only 20-25 acres, still a fair amount though, but not terribly expensive

Comment

I edited my post, it's only 20-25 acres, still a fair amount though, but not terribly expensive
                  I have a whole bag of farm fertilizer. could do the whole block lol.

Comment

I have a whole bag of farm fertilizer. could do the whole block lol.
                    ROFLMAO yard care does have a nice ring to it

Comment

ROFLMAO yard care does have a nice ring to it
                      LOL. Now if I only cared.

Comment

LOL. Now if I only cared.
                        Sounds better than ROFLMAO yard indifference

Comment

Kbench gave good advice, I wouldn't be worried about mowing in the evening if you aren't taking too much off but would definitely water afterwards.

I kind of laugh when people are watering at this time of the day in this heat. You can pretty much watch it evaporate before it hits the ground. Late in the evening or early in the morning.
                          I guess I admit to cheapdom because I haven't watered the lawn in 20 years. I pay enough for water (90 per month) as it is. The grass can take it or lump it.

Comment

I bought a 4L jug of par 3 years ago and went and did the math to figure out how much I needed to spray my yard. It was like holy **** I'm going to be dead before I use all of this. So I tell my dad next time you come over bring a jug and I'll give you some. So he shows up with an empty 66oz wisers bottle. Pour it in there and it actually does kind of look like rye. Still have about 50oz of it with a piece of duct tape on it labeled Par 3 so nobody decides to do something stupid with it.

Comment

Sounds better than ROFLMAO yard indifference
                              You are on fire, really making me laugh. Add to that, I am giddy for the Piffles Bowl today.

How about MAODONTGIVVAHOOT Yard Care?

Comment

I bought a 4L jug of par 3 years ago and went and did the math to figure out how much I needed to spray my yard. It was like holy **** I'm going to be dead before I use all of this. So I tell my dad next time you come over bring a jug and I'll give you some. So he shows up with an empty 66oz wisers bottle. Pour it in there and it actually does kind of look like rye. Still have about 50oz of it with a piece of duct tape on it labeled Par 3 so nobody decides to do something stupid with it.
                                Can I come with my 66 of Wisers? #notjoking My friend partly owns a GM dealership in your town, and I want to visit him. Sept 12

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X