Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going rate for a Babysitter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going rate for a Babysitter?

My wife and I adopted a baby last year and we have taken our daughter to lots of things with us or in the case of a concert we have left her with friends or family. With the memorial cup in town and there being some 8pm games were likely going to use a babysitter that isn't family/friend. For the parents out there what is the going rate? when I babysat when I was a kid it was 10 bucks for the night. Do you pay by the hour or is it a flat rate for the evening?

Man, it drives me nuts. Every time I ask their rates, babysitters say, "whatever you feel like is fine".

I try to have pop/chips or snacks on hand for the sitter and generally pay about $7 an hour rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10. If we have someone from 7:00 to 11:00, I'll give her $30. This is for a 3 year old who goes to bed easy, though. I think we'd pay more when we were having someone sit when the boy was under 2 years old.

I am lucky, though, that as a high school teacher I have about a hundred potential babysitters in the vicinity at all times, so when I inevitably forget to book someone until Friday at about 3:15 it's easy to flag down a kid I know I can trust and won't set a fire/beat my kid/get pregnant when she's at my place.

Comment

don't you have to pay at least the minimum wage ?

Comment

Originally posted by RFIOttawa View Post
        don't you have to pay at least the minimum wage ?
        Technically you have to pay work comp too and can't hire anyone under 16 but no I never paid minimum wage but close too it (and our sitters were looking after three kids).

Comment

Norm, were you planning on buying or leasing?

We still want to come see your baby and your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Man, it drives me nuts. Every time I ask their rates, babysitters say, "whatever you feel like is fine".

I try to have pop/chips or snacks on hand for the sitter and generally pay about $7 an hour rounded up to the nearest 5 or 10. If we have someone from 7:00 to 11:00, I'll give her $30. This is for a 3 year old who goes to bed easy, though. I think we'd pay more when we were having someone sit when the boy was under 2 years old.

I am lucky, though, that as a high school teacher I have about a hundred potential babysitters in the vicinity at all times, so when I inevitably forget to book someone until Friday at about 3:15 it's easy to flag down a kid I know I can trust and won't set a fire/beat my kid/get pregnant when she's at my place.
            this is what we do

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
              My wife and I adopted a baby last year and we have taken our daughter to lots of things with us or in the case of a concert we have left her with friends or family. With the memorial cup in town and there being some 8pm games were likely going to use a babysitter that isn't family/friend. For the parents out there what is the going rate? when I babysat when I was a kid it was 10 bucks for the night. Do you pay by the hour or is it a flat rate for the evening?
              Its been a long long time since I have used a sitter but in the olden days if you wanted a reliable one you paid well and then they will always come back and even come on short notice if your a cheap skate you will have a endless circle of sitters coming.........its like being the house on Halloween that hands out full size chocolate bars ...the kids keep coming back.

you can't put a price on getting the Mrs out of the house and away from the kids for the night

Comment

When I was about 13 I babysat one of the neighbors kids. He was easy to look after and they had one of those gigantic motorized satellite dishes so you know what I watched after he went to bed. I would have babysat there for free.

Comment

For three kids under 9 we pay $10/hr. We want to keep her happy and make sure she feels valued. She does an awesome job and always has a craft activity planned. For a 4 hour night out, whats the difference between $8 and $10 an hour? Its not worth it being cheap.

If we just had one or two that were easier to take care of I would say $7-8.

My point is don't cheap out because it only amounts to a couple bucks - and if they have two people ask them to sit at the same time, they will probably go to whomever will pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by rybo View Post
                    For three kids under 9 we pay $10/hr. We want to keep her happy and make sure she feels valued. She does an awesome job and always has a craft activity planned. For a 4 hour night out, whats the difference between $8 and $10 an hour? Its not worth it being cheap.

If we just had one or two that were easier to take care of I would say $7-8.

My point is don't cheap out because it only amounts to a couple bucks - and if they have two people ask them to sit at the same time, they will probably go to whomever will pay more.
                    Yup, we have a couple of girls that our son loves and that we can trust to do a great job. I know their favourite snacks and stock up for them and am happy to give them above "market rate" for their time, especially if my boy is up and about. If I'm spending a couple hundred bucks for a nice night out with my wife, why would I balk at an extra $10 for a really solid babysitter?

That said, oftentimes our son is already in bed or close to it when the sitter arrives. I think paying $7-8 an hour to eat my food, watch my Netflix, and Snapchat is super reasonable in those instances.

Comment

Yup, we have a couple of girls that our son loves and that we can trust to do a great job. I know their favourite snacks and stock up for them and am happy to give them above "market rate" for their time, especially if my boy is up and about. If I'm spending a couple hundred bucks for a nice night out with my wife, why would I balk at an extra $10 for a really solid babysitter?

That said, oftentimes our son is already in bed or close to it when the sitter arrives. I think paying $7-8 an hour to eat my food, watch my Netflix, and Snapchat is super reasonable in those instances.
                      100%

Comment

I came home once and our about 2yr old was coloring himself with Crayons while the sitter was sleeping on the couch. First and last time with her.

Probably 5 years ago a coworker and I were chatting and he told me he couldn't find a babysitter for something he and his GF wanted to go to. I thought that was odd, between the schools there are probably 600 kids of babysitting age in our town. I asked one of mine if he wanted to do it. "hell yea", basically sit around watching TV for the most part and getting paid to do it what's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post
                          Norm, were you planning on buying or leasing?

We still want to come see your baby and your house.
                          Haha what are you doing Friday night between 7 and 1130

Let me know when your in town next!

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

Haha what are you doing Friday night between 7 and 1130

Let me know when your in town next!
                            Are you going to the concert? That's when I am in town next. I have to be at a class reunion on Friday, in Stoon.

Comment

....and blame Andy!
                              Can ZC feed cram sammiches??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X