Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Sharing in Sask (Uber, Lyft, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drysaddle View Post

They have their path already charted for them by Uber’s own roadmap. I’ve taken well over a hundred Uber rides and when they go off book they have to provide an explanation to the bosses. I’ve told them many times I know a quicker route and they don’t seem too bothered other than they have to report a reason for that route. That being said, I have found more than 80% of Uber drivers are simply young drivers just trying to maintain their car payments in their off hours, and the other 20% are retired guys just trying to supplement their incomes. One driver I was with last week was lamenting the fact that he had poured a lot of money into his 2011 vehicle with add-ons and such but now his vehicle was soon going to be too old to qualify for Uber and its vehicle age restrictions. All in all, I prefer Uber a lot more than getting into a stinky cab where the driver hasn’t bathed for a month or so. Also, the app and the receipt process is a lot more convenient.
    Agreed, especially for business travel there's really nothing better. Perfect record of the rides and where they went for the folks who check it.

Comment

• Similar to Skip the Dishes?

Comment

• Originally posted by jollyrider View Post

Similar to Skip the Dishes?
        Yes this is the same as Skip the Dishes. Just Uber Eats not Uber unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curo View Post

Yes this is the same as Skip the Dishes. Just Uber Eats not Uber unfortunately.
          Except Skip the dishes is Canadian and hasn’t had to pay millions in sexual harassment lawsuits.

Comment

• Looks like Uber is getting set to relaunch their self driving project, this time in Canada.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4821637

Comment

• Municipalities are responsible for rules on vehicle and equipment standards, the number of rideshare drivers, local company licensing plus fees and rates.

Comment

• Here’s the info from SGI. The rules seem to be good to me and appear to be a fair playing field as far as drivers are concerned. Now we wait to see what each city will allow.

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/news?title=eve...ut-ridesharing

Comment

• Too bad this wasn't already in place because I'm going to a Christmas party Saturday night and will inevitably be waiting for over an hour to get into a falling apart minivan for my ride home.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post
                    Too bad this wasn't already in place because I'm going to a Christmas party Saturday night and will inevitably be waiting for over an hour to get into a falling apart minivan for my ride home.
                    With that awful "automatic " sliding door .....

Comment

• https://www.thestar.com/wsj/technolo...g-drivers.html

Uber and Lyft face tough test of finding and keeping drivers

By Eliot Brown WSJ
                      Sun., May 12, 2019

Now that both Uber Technologies Inc. and Lyft Inc. are trading on public markets, the ride-hailing companies are under pressure to achieve years of rapid growth.

First they will have to figure out how to hang onto drivers like Carl Wagoner, a Lexington, Ky., minister and potter who last summer drove for Uber to make extra cash. The gig proved less lucrative than he thought—around $5 an hour after gas, he calculates—given that he avoided the higher-priced, late-night bar crowd. He quit within six weeks.

“Just wasn’t worth it,” he said.

Uber and Lyft are banking on a future where evermore riders surrender their cars and rely on ride-hailing. But that vision assumes the companies will accomplish a trickier task—finding and keeping the millions of drivers needed to whisk them around.

By relying on a workforce of independent contractors, the companies are dealing with drivers who can simply turn off their app when they want to stop working. Drivers also can toggle back and forth between services—called “dual apping”—depending on which offers more money.

Uber and Lyft have paid billions of dollars combined in incentive payments to keep drivers, helping contribute to a combined $5.4 billion in losses over the past 12 months through March. Despite the incentives, drivers protested in several major cities last week to bring attention to low wages.

Multiple economists have estimated Uber and Lyft drivers earn on average between $9 and $16 an hour, after accounting for various expenses the contractors are responsible for, such as gas and maintenance.

Comment

• Considering cab drivers are considered one of the lowest paying and a bad job I am not sure how Uber and Lyft will be able to fix this .

I also expect their shareholders will not be impressed with massive executive wages when the company continues to loose billions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Considering cab drivers are considered one of the lowest paying and a bad job I am not sure how Uber and Lyft will be able to fix this .

I also expect their shareholders will not be impressed with massive executive wages when the company continues to loose billions.
                          Simple. Raise prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Considering cab drivers are considered one of the lowest paying and a bad job I am not sure how Uber and Lyft will be able to fix this .

Since the last Uber thread I have been in probably a dozen of them and have been curious as to how they are doing so try to strike up conversations with them. One thing I always ask is if they think they are making any money and the results are mixed. The last guy I was with said he worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week. He was driving a brand new Camry Hybrid and said he put on 10K a month (nice car btw). I was thinking that I hoped he was figuring in depreciation on that thing because it's going to be worn out in 2 years.

The one thing they all say that the main reason they drive is having no boss and working when they want. My experience using them is limited to just outside the GTA and as a customer it is fantastic.

The longest I have waited for one is about 5 minutes, I've never been in a car that isn't immaculate, and I've never had a rude or bad driver. I seriously don't know why anyone, where I am anyway, would order a cab.

Comment

• Uber is holding a presser in Regina later today to officially launch ride-sharing in that city. In Manitoba, Uber is holding out for MPI to ease insurance restrictions to enter the market. https://t.co/AO2gTJNG7h
                              Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Since the last Uber thread I have been in probably a dozen of them and have been curious as to how they are doing so try to strike up conversations with them. One thing I always ask is if they think they are making any money and the results are mixed. The last guy I was with said he worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week. He was driving a brand new Camry Hybrid and said he put on 10K a month (nice car btw). I was thinking that I hoped he was figuring in depreciation on that thing because it's going to be worn out in 2 years.

The one thing they all say that the main reason they drive is having no boss and working when they want. My experience using them is limited to just outside the GTA and as a customer it is fantastic.

The longest I have waited for one is about 5 minutes, I've never been in a car that isn't immaculate, and I've never had a rude or bad driver. I seriously don't know why anyone, where I am anyway, would order a cab.
                                Yeah, all true. I think Uber now has a pretty loyal ridership and they could start to raise fees without losing much business, I know I'd still use them even with a 20% increase. This would assist in paying drivers better in areas where its not profitable for them, and the overall profit of the company, where they would no longer be losing 8c a ride.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X