Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Sharing in Sask (Uber, Lyft, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

They can't always give an upfront price because of outside factors such as traffic. It's easy to just make your business plan that way when you don't actually care about the company or the driver making money. Cabs need to move forward with apps, payments, and cleanliness but on the other side Uber also has plenty of room for improvement. It just seems many are willing to overlook Uber's shortcomings because of cost and convenience to the individual. And I'm saying they can't give you that price because of regulation.
    Traffic is a known thing. Plenty of sources for real-time traffic data that they could factor in to their price quote. This is the type of thing they need to do to bring themselves into a competitive position.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Traffic is a known thing. Plenty of sources for real-time traffic data that they could factor in to their price quote. This is the type of thing they need to do to bring themselves into a competitive position.
      It could help but an accident happening in 10 minutes can't be accounted for right now. My last Lyft ride in AZ had me going almost 90 minutes because of traffic for a route that takes about an hour. The driver charging me $35 did not have a good day when you factor in that she had to return at some point. Taxis have to get better at technology and convenience while Ride Sharing needs to get better at paying drivers.

Comment

It could help but an accident happening in 10 minutes can't be accounted for right now. My last Lyft ride in AZ had me going almost 90 minutes because of traffic for a route that takes about an hour. The driver charging me $35 did not have a good day when you factor in that she had to return at some point. Taxis have to get better at technology and convenience while Ride Sharing needs to get better at paying drivers.
        When Uber drivers start quitting or not joining in the first place, which is probably happening already in some places, Uber will have to adjust pay scales locally in order to keep drivers active. If a city has more than enough drivers and more wanting to start, it's tough from a business standpoint to pay more. Its a thing that seems to find its own level. It would take Uber drivers quitting en mass for them to make a global change I would think.

Comment

In Saskatchewan? I must be out of the loop. I don't know of any real-time traffic sites for Regina, for instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by chester68 View Post

In Saskatchewan? I must be out of the loop. I don't know of any real-time traffic sites for Regina, for instance.
            Google maps or Waze don't work in Regina?

Comment

When Uber drivers start quitting or not joining in the first place, which is probably happening already in some places, Uber will have to adjust pay scales locally in order to keep drivers active. If a city has more than enough drivers and more wanting to start, it's tough from a business standpoint to pay more. Its a thing that seems to find its own level. It would take Uber drivers quitting en mass for them to make a global change I would think.
              It should not take that. It is illegal to pay less than minimum wage so hiding behind the worker/contractor BS while making rates that don't allow a driver to make a decent living is something that Govt everywhere should be challenging. Pay, background checks, and insurance are pretty much the only issues anyone has with Uber, why can't they fix them??

Comment

• Originally posted by chester68 View Post

My GPS shows it. Usually for Sask though, there's not much to show since we have so few traffic problems. Construction-related mostly, which is also shown on GPS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                  We always get flat fee taxi service from the airport to our hotel in Edmonton. $55. Maybe it's changed in the last few months.
                  Another option in Edmonton is transit for $5 a passenger: http://flyeia.com/coming-and-going/b...47-bus-service

Comment

It should not take that. It is illegal to pay less than minimum wage so hiding behind the worker/contractor BS while making rates that don't allow a driver to make a decent living is something that Govt everywhere should be challenging. Pay, background checks, and insurance are pretty much the only issues anyone has with Uber, why can't they fix them??
                    Its kind of the new economy, and people (workers included) generally like it that way. In Nashville a couple months ago, got a ride with this little skinny kid, very friendly, who was in a band. Turns out he's in quite a popular band, and they tour throughout the southern states. Uber allows him to take off for a few weeks at a time for touring, work only day time when they gig at night, but always come back and work whenever he wants. He said all his band mates drive Uber. Is there a price for that convenience? Yeah, he probably gets paid less than a worker with regularly scheduled hours. But this is what works for him, and for most Uber drivers doing this as a side job.

Comment

Its kind of the new economy, and people (workers included) generally like it that way. In Nashville a couple months ago, got a ride with this little skinny kid, very friendly, who was in a band. Turns out he's in quite a popular band, and they tour throughout the southern states. Uber allows him to take off for a few weeks at a time for touring, work only day time when they gig at night, but always come back and work whenever he wants. He said all his band mates drive Uber. Is there a price for that convenience? Yeah, he probably gets paid less than a worker with regularly scheduled hours. But this is what works for him, and for most Uber drivers doing this as a side job.
                      I get it for some folks, I might actually do it myself when it arrives here for the same reasons. Gives me something to do without a schedule and easy. I still believe though that it should be illegal to schedule rides that make it impossible for driver to earn at least minimum wage. The difference would not be a deal breaker for riders.

Comment

I get it for some folks, I might actually do it myself when it arrives here for the same reasons. Gives me something to do without a schedule and easy. I still believe though that it should be illegal to schedule rides that make it impossible for driver to earn at least minimum wage. The difference would not be a deal breaker for riders.
                        Looking at the app, my trip with him was 22 minutes long, cost me 18.73, and I gave him a 5 dollar tip. Seems not too bad.

His complaint, was actually that you don't know where your destination will be until you actually pick up the person. He could see the reason for not being able to see it, drivers would only take the "good" fares. But it screwed him up once when he was almost done and he picked up a guy that wanted to go to Knoxville or something. Lots of money, but he had a gig. He had to reject it and take the negative rating that came with it.
                        Last edited by squish; 06-13-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

His complaint, was actually that you don't know where your destination will be until you actually pick up the person. He could see the reason for not being able to see it, drivers would only take the "good" fares. But it screwed him up once when he was almost done and he picked up a guy that wanted to go to Knoxville or something. Lots of money, but he had a gig. He had to reject it and take the negative rating that came with it.
                          I have said before that I think this app works different for different places as well. You folks have talked about options in the App that I don't get when using it is AZ. I have used Lyft more than Uber lately as drivers tell me they are treated better. And they get to earn more. Costs are not really that significantly different.

Comment

• The new way in my AZ Community is older folks doing airport runs for Uber or Lyft. When you use them they regularly give you their personal cell number to text them for rides and avoid the Ride Sharing Service.

Comment

The new way in my AZ Community is older folks doing airport runs for Uber or Lyft. When you use them they regularly give you their personal cell number to text them for rides and avoid the Ride Sharing Service.
                              I met a really nice guy in Houston who was a retired long-haul truck driver... so every morning he would drive Uber, and then meet his buddies for an afternoon golf game. They all drove as well. He said his Uber pay covered his golf. Seemed like a happy guy, gave me some great restaurant recommendations.

Comment

• Cab companies havn't copied Uber or others directly because they can't afford to lose 3.8 billion dollars.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X