Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Sharing in Sask (Uber, Lyft, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Sharing in Sask (Uber, Lyft, etc.)

Looks like legislation is coming soon!

The question Bates and I want to know is - are they going to be considered contractors or employees? I don't want to have to re-Google all of my contractor counterpoints again!

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post
      The question Bates and I want to know is - are they going to be considered contractors or employees? I don't want to have to re-Google all of my contractor counterpoints again!
      It will be interesting. Saskatoon Mayor has been asking for legislation to get going on this. Hope it is a well thought out legislation that answers most of the questions.

Comment

Long overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post
          It is rather important as we have a taxi driver now suing WCB after he had an accident but hadn't self assessed for coverage. Wonder who the first Uber driver in an accident will expect to pay for their workplace injury?? And Uber lost another case recently in the Employee vs Contractor BS claim.

Comment

Resurrection of one of the better scraps that was lost.
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Govt quadruples motorcycle insurance rates reaction is oh well accidents cost more. Govt insists Uber actually carry necessary insurance reaction is get with the times drunk driving rates etc etc .when really all most who post care about is saving a couple bucks. Uber should be welcomed, regulated, and properly insured. And those who paid for exclusivity should be compensated if that exclusivity is removed or regulations aren't equal. And just like any other business who makes it impossible for it's workers to earn minimum wage Uber should be held accountable.

Comment

I wonder if UBER/LYFT drivers will be required to carry a class 4 driverís license. Will the taxi system be abolished if UBER/LYFT are allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  I wonder if UBER/LYFT drivers will be required to carry a class 4 driverís license. Will the taxi system be abolished if UBER/LYFT are allowed?
                  Doubtful on the class 4, that's where Uber manages to give the lower prices. Less insurance, lower earning drivers, less conditions on vehicles, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

Doubtful on the class 4, that's where Uber manages to give the lower prices. Less insurance, lower earning drivers, less conditions on vehicles, and so on.
                    The thing is that I've heard Uber cars are nice clean newer cars and I've been in plenty of actual cabs that shouldn't even be on the road.

Comment

I just have to laugh when small-government, less-regulation types are against Uber or Lyft. It's almost like those people aren't philosophically opposed to regulation or government intervention, they just want it to benefit them.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

The thing is that I've heard Uber cars are nice clean newer cars and I've been in plenty of actual cabs that shouldn't even be on the road.
                        Have you seen any wheelchair accessible Uber's? Cabs are required to have a percentage, that is a condition of vehicle example. I'm more concerned about Uber drivers than dirty cabs, I've had a few that shouldn't have a licence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post
                          I just have to laugh when small-government, less-regulation types are against Uber or Lyft. It's almost like those people aren't philosophically opposed to regulation or government intervention, they just want it to benefit them.
                          Don't include me in that list. Proper insurance and background checks are the regs I want.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Stabbing of Regina cab driver 'a wake up call,' says union

A driver was nearly killed over a 2012 Dodge Caravan. I wonder how far someone would go for a U Student driving Dad's BMW while trying to make some pocket change on a Saturday night,

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

It is rather important as we have a taxi driver now suing WCB after he had an accident but hadn't self assessed for coverage. Wonder who the first Uber driver in an accident will expect to pay for their workplace injury?? And Uber lost another case recently in the Employee vs Contractor BS claim.
                              I'm confused and can't obviously look back, but I thought it had been established in the old thread that taxi drivers were employees and paid at least minimum wage and benefits. Wouldn't this driver's employer have WCB coverage? Or is he self-employed and not guaranteed minimum wage?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X