STC vs the Province

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Its called poop or get off the pot. Giving STC a year was not going to increase ridership and instead of throwing good money after bad just made a clean break.

This court case is a waste of money because no where is there a right to subsidised scheduled transportation.
    Yup, if the union thinks us such a viable business they should buy items run it, and subsidize the shortfall every year with their union dues they collect.

Comment

• Nobody has explained to me yet why the City and Province should be subsidizing a city bus service and not a rural one. Anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by The_G View Post

Yup, if the union thinks us such a viable business they should buy items run it, and subsidize the shortfall every year with their union dues they collect.
        City transit workers should do the same. Might as well fk everyone in the province who can't drive a car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
          Nobody has explained to me yet why the City and Province should be subsidizing a city bus service and not a rural one. Anyone?
          How much does the province kick in to bus services in the cities?

Comment

• Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post

How much does the province kick in to bus services in the cities?
            The province transferred $27 million to the city in 2015.

Comment

Nobody has explained to me yet why the City and Province should be subsidizing a city bus service and not a rural one. Anyone?
              Very simple Ridership. In the city many people depend on the bus to get around, many city busses are full at certain times of the day. STC has piss poor ridership all the time the ridership and utilization is very low, can't remember the last time I saw a motor coach with anything close to full, doing freight subsidizes it somewhat but that can be done by the private sector that operates on the same routes. The company I work for ships less by bus now than we did 5 years ago too, common courier is going to many of the same places and they pick it up rather than us having to drop it off at the bus depot.

The government will have to pay for some transportation where other alternatives aren't available (for example inmates being released from regina) may have to be sent by taxi to their home rather than being dropped off at the bus depot the day they are released.

Comment

• I just don't understand how a 30 million dollar subsidy per year is OK for the city of Regina Transit and 15 million is too much for the majority of residents of the province? It should also be noted that ridership for STC has been practically flat for the last 10 years, Between 2006 and 2015 the highest levels were 2011 and 2012. It's not declining every year like has been falsely reported. As with the ciry I see a whole bunch of Regina city buses riding close to empty or completely empty all the time, it's the nature of running scheduled bus service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

Very simple Ridership. In the city many people depend on the bus to get around, many city busses are full at certain times of the day. STC has piss poor ridership all the time the ridership and utilization is very low, can't remember the last time I saw a motor coach with anything close to full, doing freight subsidizes it somewhat but that can be done by the private sector that operates on the same routes. The company I work for ships less by bus now than we did 5 years ago too, common courier is going to many of the same places and they pick it up rather than us having to drop it off at the bus depot.

The government will have to pay for some transportation where other alternatives aren't available (for example inmates being released from regina) may have to be sent by taxi to their home rather than being dropped off at the bus depot the day they are released.
                  What made you think of the inmates?

Comment

Nobody has asserted the position that the City and Province should be subsidizing a city bus service and not a rural one. Anyone?
                    Fixed it for you.
                    Big ol' turkey sammich! MMMMMMM!

Comment

• Originally posted by juice View Post

Fixed it for you.
                      Potato, Potato. You are OK with axing city bus service?

Comment

I don't know if I'd say that. I've never said that I'm "OK" with getting rid of STC either, though. I can, however, understand the reasoning behing the decision. I dont have to agree with something in order to understand it.
                        Big ol' turkey sammich! MMMMMMM!

Comment

You're losing it in this thread for some reason. City transit is firmly entrenched in every god damn city in the world. Gov't run empty rural buses aren't.

Your argument is terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by juice View Post

I don't know if I'd say that. I've never said that I'm "OK" with getting rid of STC either, though. I can, however, understand the reasoning behing the decision. I dont have to agree with something in order to understand it.
                            Fair enough

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post

You're losing it in this thread for some reason. City transit is firmly entrenched in every god damn city in the world. Gov't run empty rural buses aren't.

Your argument is terrible.
                              No the majority of the argument was that the gov't shouldn't be subsidizing a bus service, that's fine but why is it OK to do it in the city and not in the country? I hope the best answer isn't "cuz that's what other people do"

Comment

No the majority of the argument was that the gov't shouldn't be subsidizing a bus service, that's fine but why is it OK to do it in the city and not in the country? I hope the best answer isn't "cuz that's what other people do"
                                As an example Saskatoon Transit had 9 million rides last year. It's quite easy to make the case for helping that many riders have a way to get around a City and increase quality of life as opposed to subsidizing 180,000 rides. And by having buses take more people around a City actually makes driving easier in that City. They aren't comparable.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X