Eskimo Name Change Imminent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bomber beetle View Post
    Dan Robson makes some good points, particularly when viewed within the league's 'Diversity is Strength' campaign:

At this point, debate over the word ó its origins, its intent ó is unnecessary. You can argue all you want, but it does not change the fact that many Inuit people find it offensive.

Thatís it; full stop. Itís over.

Or it should be, anyway. The fact that the name that is viewed as derisive by the people it refers to seems like it would be enough for a sports organization to recognize the insignificance of keeping its name.

But apparently itís not. According to the CBC, in August Edmontonís president and CEO, Len Rhodes, said that the team was speaking with Indigenous leaders but had no plans to change the name.

The CFL promotes itself as a league dedicated to diversity. Its ďDiversity is StrengthĒ campaign this season was widely celebrated as a powerful statement of progress, especially when it was launched early in response to racist violence in Charlottesville, Va. It was an admirable, important message. But it looks cheap on the backs of a team that insists on using a moniker that is viewed as hurtful and offensive.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...s-change-name/
    This guy is pulling facts out of his ***. I've never, not once heard an Inuit person complain about the Eskimo name. Its only "hurtful and offensive" to some white SJW who feel they have to stand up for the poor downtrodden Inuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by prairiechickin View Post

This guy is pulling facts out of his ***. I've never, not once heard an Inuit person complain about the Eskimo name. Its only "hurtful and offensive" to some white SJW who feel they have to stand up for the poor downtrodden Inuit.
      That' exactly right.

Comment

I agree, that's a rant worthy of Rick Mercer.
        You think rick Mercer would say anything like that? You trolling?
        Last edited by wheels; 11-13-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• As somebody who hates political correctness with a passion I hate this name changing crap, however after seeing so many Edmonton fans calling us the "green whites" after Ottawa came back to the CFL I have no sympathy for those scabs. Call them the Green yellows.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheels View Post

You think rick Mercer would say anything like that? You trolling?
            I don't know what Rick Mercer's opinions are on the topic of the Eskimo name, I was suggesting the OP's rant contained the passion and sincerity of a Mercer diatribe. How do you get 'trolling' out of that?

Comment

Exactly. I have travelled the North extensively for years and never have I heard it as an issue. Never even met an Inuit that let on they were a football fan. Football season is when they get out on the land and the heck out of their over crowded small houses that they are cooped up in for the hard winter. Of course I have not met them all and to be honest I don't care if some cupcake in the group is faux offended for political reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by tickdog View Post

Exactly. I have travelled the North extensively for years and never have I heard it as an issue. Never even met an Inuit that let on they were a football fan. Football season is when they get out on the land and the heck out of their over crowded small houses that they are cooped up in for the hard winter. Of course I have not met them all and to be honest I don't care if some cupcake in the group is faux offended for political reasons.
                I realize this is a bilingual country but your mixing English and French in the same post is very offensive to me. I will be joining a like minded group and you will hear from us.

Comment

• Eskimos name an insult to the Inuit, says local Inuk woman

'It's time to get rid of it and recognize Inuit people as modern day people,' says Norma Dunning

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...itic-1.4401422

The controversy surrounding the Edmonton Eskimos name has plagued the franchise for the past few years. It flared up again last week when Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman publicly called on the club to opt for something "more inclusive."

In response, Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson urged the club to move quickly on a name change or risk having the 2018 Grey Cup "beset by a very charged conversation."

In August, Eskimos president and chief executive officer Len Rhodes said the club was consulting with Indigenous leaders but had no plans to change the Eskimos name.

In a statement, the club said it treated the Eskimos name with positivity and the "utmost respect."

But there is no pride or respect in using a term which is considered an insult by so many, and this apparent dedication to the name reflects poorly on the entire city, Dunning said.

Honouring Inuit culture would be an important contribution to ongoing reconciliation efforts and in putting forward a progressive image for Edmonton, she added.

"We have a very small window of time that we call reconciliation, and I believe it's up to all of us to make a contribution," Dunning said.

"One of the ways to do that is to eliminate team names that represent Indigenous people in a derogatory, and less-than way."

Comment

• Originally posted by kcountry View Post
                    Eskimos name an insult to the Inuit, says local Inuk woman

'It's time to get rid of it and recognize Inuit people as modern day people,' says Norma Dunning

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...itic-1.4401422

hahahaha... yes OK... she has her opinion. Is she a big football fan? Question, when the TSN announcer talks about the Eskimo team, do you think of a local Inuit, or a hard hitting bastage wearing a helmet in yellow and green? Nobody associated this local woman with a football team.

Comment

• Wow, they scoured the North, and found one Inuit who was offended. That's damn good scouring. When you consider the tens of thousands of square miles that had to be scoured to find one offended Inuit, that's true journalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by tickdog View Post

hahahaha... yes OK... she has her opinion. Is she a big football fan? Question, when the TSN announcer talks about the Eskimo team, do you think of a local Inuit, or a hard hitting bastage wearing a helmet in yellow and green? Nobody associated this local woman with a football team.
                        "this local woman" played outside linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1996-1999. I think she knows a bit about football.

Comment

Wow, they scoured the North, and found one Inuit who was offended. That's damn good scouring. When you consider the tens of thousands of square miles that had to be scoured to find one offended Inuit, that's true journalism.
                          Oh donít be so triggered.

Comment

No, he doesn't. I canoed the Yukon River when I was 17 and developed quite a fascination with the place and the Klondike Gold Rush. I've read every book Burton wrote on the topic, and most of the rest. Some fools did try to go from Edmonton to the Yukon, but most of them perished en route or turned back. It was a minor footnote to the real event that went through Skagway.
                            while the numbers were small compared to the west coast route between 1500 and 2000 left Edmonton on what was known as the Chalmers trail (now referred to as the Klondike trail) fewer than 300 made it to the Yukon and very few of those found any gold

I rode my motorcycle to Dawson last summer and can't imagine how tough it was for the gold rushers back in the day
                            Last edited by goaltender61; 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

while the numbers were small compared to the west coast route between 1500 and 2000 left Edmonton on what was known as the Chalmers trail (now referred to as the Klondike trail) fewer than 300 made it to the Yukon and very few of those found any gold

I rode my motorcycle to Dawson last summer and can't imagine how tough it was for the gold rushers back in the day
                              I was shooting for Dawson, but ran out of gas in my canoe in Carmacks. I got $150 for the canoe, spent $135 for a bus ticket home. spent the last $15 on canned chili, then rode home with 15 cents in my pocket. My mother came to get me at the bus depot, she was just glad I was still alive. I was a hard dog to keep under the porch.

Comment

• Older article from 2015 that also broached this topic. Some interesting comments from some northern Inuit in it.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...called-eskimos

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X