Automotive engineering/design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

You probably won’t have to empty the tray from the AC.
    You probably will have to empty your shorts.

Comment

Huh say what now?

Comment

Isn’t that totally ****ing bananas?
        Can you imagine driving that on some (most?) of Saskatchewan highways? 0-60 in 2.3 seconds! Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by coralharbour View Post

Can you imagine driving that on some (most?) of Saskatchewan highways? 0-60 in 2.3 seconds! Yikes.
          You could put a $100 bill on the dash, and ask your passenger to try to pick it off the dash while you go 0-100 and they wouldn’t pick it.

Comment

You could put a $100 bill on the dash, and ask your passenger to try to pick it off the dash while you go 0-100 and they wouldn’t pick it.
            That was a salesmans trick in a 1962 Oldsmobile 88, passenger in the back seat though.

Comment

Originally posted by jenius View Post

That was a salesmans trick in a 1962 Oldsmobile 88, passenger in the back seat though.
              It was a trick for a local car from the front seat.

Comment

After owning a SRT jeep I can honestly say I wouldn't want a demon. Demon has almost twice the horsepower and weighs less. The jeep would still hit 100K in less than 5 seconds, that is quick enough for me.

Comment

And I thought the sign I saw at a Ford Dealership for a 635HP (or thereabouts) Mustang was insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos View Post
                    And I thought the sign I saw at a Ford Dealership for a 635HP (or thereabouts) Mustang was insane.
                    Less than ten years ago Camaro had 305 hp and the president of Ford said in a commercial that the 300 hp in the Mustang was enough for anybody.

Comment

When you sift through all the BS about this brand or that brand, one thing always remains true, "You Get What You Pay For". Example is, if you have three pick-up trucks to choose from, and one is consistently $10K cheaper, then you are getting less of something, period. It costs money to pay attention to detail, to use higher quality materials, or spend more engineering time to make things easier. This is not just limited to one brand or the other. A higher end lux SUV has more engineering resources spent on fit and finish, materials, and design, than a much cheaper SUV of the same size. I get a chuckle out of people who buy a lower end brand then at dinner parties talk about what a great deal and great car they have. Talking about how it is just as good as the more expensive stuff, what a load of crap. Usually they are just trying to convince themselves that they have found the "magic potion" for car buying. Bottom line, if it is cheaper, it's because you are getting less of something. Korean brands are and low end US / French brands are a perfect example of "throw away" transportation. Just say'n.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Some of the new Fords are designed to remove the cab of the truck to access the back of the engine and to change the spark plugs.
                        Same with the injectors on their diesels. One of the main reasons I bought a Ram with the Cummins inline 6. I do a lot of my own servicing and have owned the other 2 and will probably never go back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Green w/Envy View Post
                          When you sift through all the BS about this brand or that brand, one thing always remains true, "You Get What You Pay For". Example is, if you have three pick-up trucks to choose from, and one is consistently $10K cheaper, then you are getting less of something, period. It costs money to pay attention to detail, to use higher quality materials, or spend more engineering time to make things easier. This is not just limited to one brand or the other. A higher end lux SUV has more engineering resources spent on fit and finish, materials, and design, than a much cheaper SUV of the same size. I get a chuckle out of people who buy a lower end brand then at dinner parties talk about what a great deal and great car they have. Talking about how it is just as good as the more expensive stuff, what a load of crap. Usually they are just trying to convince themselves that they have found the "magic potion" for car buying. Bottom line, if it is cheaper, it's because you are getting less of something. Korean brands are and low end US / French brands are a perfect example of "throw away" transportation. Just say'n.
                          I'd have agreed with you on the Korean brands 15 years ago. That's changed now. Hyundai was a joke in the 1980's, and Kia into this century. However, now they offer some of the best warranties of all brands because they're well built. I looked at the Corolla and Accord, as well as a couple of American makes before we bought our Hyundai Sonata and they couldn't come close to the amenities for the price. Is it any less well built? Probably, but the gap is incredibly narrow, as both are in the top 7 from Consumer Reports in overall reliability. Honda is behind both, as is every American automaker besides Buick (of all things). Sure, Lexus and Toyota remain #1 and #2, but the difference in terms of quality is getting closer every year.

Edit: The 2018 list has Hyundai down to #9, but Kia up to #3, just behind Lexus/Toyota.
                          Last edited by Andy; 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Green w/Envy View Post
                            The mid priced sedans are built just as good if not better than the higher priced ones. I'm looking at getting rid of our BMW when the lease is up and warranty is over as it'll be just too expensive to maintain. Looking at a 2018 Honda Accord Touring which comes with all the bells and whistles that our 535 has plus a few more. Reading on the BMW forums it can be pretty expensive for upkeep ($300 battery or $500 for the starter). The honda is $35,000 cheaper too and so far the reviews are great.

Comment

Worst one I have heard is that on almost all Subaru models, there is a recommendation to replace the head gasket around 120K.

Comment

Originally posted by voice of reason View Post
                                Worst one I have heard is that on almost all Subaru models, there is a recommendation to replace the head gasket around 120K.
                                And some cars have the rubber timing belt that has to be changed (fairly big job)or you could ruin your engine if it breaks. Had a VW that we had to have the belt changed. They recomended doing the water pump at the same time as it is tied into the timing belt.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X