Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Walking Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steve04 View Post

I just started the comics (at the part where the governor attacks the prison). Having watched the show first itís quite interesting to see the differences between the show and the comics. Lots of it is subtle, but already there have been some pretty major changes. Some make sense for how they show it on TV and some are clear conscious decisions just to go another way. Itís also interesting how some of the major storylines on TV occurred to completely different characters in the comics (IE the leg being chopped off).

biggest shocks to me:

who kills Shane
    what happens to Rick in Woodbury
    what happens to carol in the prison
    What about Dixon

yeah, it is really interesting. I can't say as I hate any of the changes, they are just different. I sometimes wish I wasn't ahead in the comics, because you anticipate so much. Jesus dying was the big shocker for me.

a couple interesting things on the differences in general though:
    - some of it was axed because it is simply bad TV. The show can be draggy as it is at times.
    - The story changes a bit because both sides rather wanted it to. They didn't want it to be an exact screenplay or anything and felt it was important that both felt the same but were not trying to be identical.
    - Nixon was originally created to help fill some of the gaps that changes have made. They clearly had that well thought out from the start, which is pretty interesting.
    - some of it, like Carl's "injuries" were toned down or reworked, likely to make filming leads easier and also for audience appeal. I compare it to the Jack Sparrow decision, where Depp wanted to go full out pirate, and even have no nose and such, but they yanked the idea because of general audience appeal.

Another thing, and I have talked about this before, is Carl = Judith/Henry. Judith died long ago in the comic. With the time jump, Carl would be much too old to pull off the 'innocent little conversations' with Negan while he is in Jail, and probably too old to pull off Henry's relationship with a whisperer. I had wondered for some time how they were going to pull that off, and clearly they went big. Those 2 characters took over a Carl's story-line. I wasn't sure it was going to turn out well, but I think it has actually been better than the comic. Carl had become hard and jaded in the TV show, right up until some reflections prior to his death. Both of those characters still have the innocence to make it all work.
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• The original creator of the TV show wanted to remove the comic book elements from the show and ground it in reality. Since his removal and after a couple of show runners the tone of the show has changed to allow for a more comic book approach to the show. The governor VS Negan is a great example of this.

The other aspect is nobody nobody expected a zombie show to be the #1 show on TV ever. The fact that it held that tittle for a couple of years is impressive. It also happened as viewers moved away from broadcast tv to cable shows. It seems this season of TWD with exception of the Rick Grimes exit episode has found the groove they were looking for to appeal to more the zombie fans VS everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post
        The original creator of the TV show wanted to remove the comic book elements from the show and ground it in reality. Since his removal and after a couple of show runners the tone of the show has changed to allow for a more comic book approach to the show. The governor VS Negan is a great example of this.

The other aspect is nobody nobody expected a zombie show to be the #1 show on TV ever. The fact that it held that tittle for a couple of years is impressive. It also happened as viewers moved away from broadcast tv to cable shows. It seems this season of TWD with exception of the Rick Grimes exit episode has found the groove they were looking for to appeal to more the zombie fans VS everyone.
        There was also a major change between season 1 and 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

What about Dixon

yeah, it is really interesting. I can't say as I hate any of the changes, they are just different. I sometimes wish I wasn't ahead in the comics, because you anticipate so much. Jesus dying was the big shocker for me.

a couple interesting things on the differences in general though:
          - some of it was axed because it is simply bad TV. The show can be draggy as it is at times.
          - The story changes a bit because both sides rather wanted it to. They didn't want it to be an exact screenplay or anything and felt it was important that both felt the same but were not trying to be identical.
          - Nixon was originally created to help fill some of the gaps that changes have made. They clearly had that well thought out from the start, which is pretty interesting.
          - some of it, like Carl's "injuries" were toned down or reworked, likely to make filming leads easier and also for audience appeal. I compare it to the Jack Sparrow decision, where Depp wanted to go full out pirate, and even have no nose and such, but they yanked the idea because of general audience appeal.

Another thing, and I have talked about this before, is Carl = Judith/Henry. Judith died long ago in the comic. With the time jump, Carl would be much too old to pull off the 'innocent little conversations' with Negan while he is in Jail, and probably too old to pull off Henry's relationship with a whisperer. I had wondered for some time how they were going to pull that off, and clearly they went big. Those 2 characters took over a Carl's story-line. I wasn't sure it was going to turn out well, but I think it has actually been better than the comic. Carl had become hard and jaded in the TV show, right up until some reflections prior to his death. Both of those characters still have the innocence to make it all work.
          Yeah I'm still pretty early in the comic, so I haven't hit some of these plot lines yet. I completely agree that I find it very interesting how they take a plot line of one character in the comic and apply it to a different character in the show.

It's actually funny that you point out Daryl, because although I have noticed his absence early in the comics, as I have been reading them it just becomes natural that he is not there yet, so I don't even think about him when I am reading them.

A friend of mine that is up to date with them, told me that Andrea's story in the comics is quite interesting, and she is a much better character in the comics than in the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve04 View Post

Yeah I'm still pretty early in the comic, so I haven't hit some of these plot lines yet. I completely agree that I find it very interesting how they take a plot line of one character in the comic and apply it to a different character in the show.

It's actually funny that you point out Daryl, because although I have noticed his absence early in the comics, as I have been reading them it just becomes natural that he is not there yet, so I don't even think about him when I am reading them.

A friend of mine that is up to date with them, told me that Andrea's story in the comics is quite interesting, and she is a much better character in the comics than in the show.
            Dixon isn't in it. They did s teaser cover with it some time back, leading people to believe he was being written in. The creators are hilarious in how they love ****ing with their fans lol
            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X