No announcement yet.

Tax grabbing, greedy m*fers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a perfect world it would be ideal that a particular Minister be experienced in the functions related to the Ministry they are presumed to lead. The Minister needs to be getting solid individuals to support them as Deputy Minister's, Assistant Deputy Minister's, advisors, etc. Examples of (reasonably) good Minister's I can think are Ralph Goodale and Lisa Raitt and they have handled a few different ones over the years with good professionalism.

Comment

• To Drysaddle I would say this [B]Yup, Rod Gantefoer was regarded as a pretty good finance minster from 2007-2010 for The Sask Party Gov't. His qualification was that he owned a KFC franchise. [B/} Gives him more experience with finances than a drama teacher or a social worker. Running a business is still running a business doesn't matter how many 0's are involved

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post

Cabinet minister needs to be able to identify good help. If the minister has knowledge of the subject matter that may help. Due to the nature of politics we just don't pay enough to get the people we should have.
        It is true there are many very smart people who would run for office but can make far more in the private sector and not have the crap that politicians have to deal with. Your life is in the public eye all the time, you get in a minor car crash or have too many beers at a football game and call the players bums it makes the news. Not a lot of incentive for someone to pursue public life when you will earn less than you could elsewhere and your under a microscope, you have to really want to serve the public.

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Youve got it backwards. One of the first bits of criticism brought up about her was basically that this has occurred because she was a woman and that she was only in this position because of her gender.
          In post #114 you asked me "why does it matter that half of cabinet are women?" I had made no comment about women or the composition of our cabinet to that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by nachocheese View Post
            To Drysaddle I would say this [B]Yup, Rod Gantefoer was regarded as a pretty good finance minster from 2007-2010 for The Sask Party Gov't. His qualification was that he owned a KFC franchise. [B/} Gives him more experience with finances than a drama teacher or a social worker. Running a business is still running a business doesn't matter how many 0's are involved
            Such a generalization. For a social worker do you know whether she was part of management at some point? Shes 59, Id be willing to bet she was by that point. Meaning shes probably been involved in budgeting and spending. Was she on any Boards? Do you know? Even the drama teacher Im sure has plenty of other experiences to build upon. Stop trying to pigeonhole these people into being one thing when you probably dont know close to the whole story.

And were not talking about running a business. Were talking about running a government- the factors you have to deal with are very different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick View Post

In post #114 you asked me "why does it matter that half of cabinet are women?" I had made no comment about women or the composition of our cabinet to that point.
              So you were at least ten posts behind in the discussion. Good to know.

Comment

• Such a generalization. For a social worker do you know whether she was part of management at some point? Shes 59, Id be willing to bet she was by that point. Meaning shes probably been involved in budgeting and spending. Was she on any Boards? Do you know? Even the drama teacher Im sure has plenty of other experiences to build upon. Stop trying to pigeonhole these people into being one thing when you probably dont know close to the whole story. And were not talking about running a business. Were talking about running a government- the factors you have to deal with are very different. Lerriuq do you know that they were apart of budgeting and finances if so I stand corrected until then I stand bye that a KFC owner knows more about finances.

Comment

Such a generalization. For a social worker do you know whether she was part of management at some point? Shes 59, Id be willing to bet she was by that point. Meaning shes probably been involved in budgeting and spending. Was she on any Boards? Do you know? Even the drama teacher Im sure has plenty of other experiences to build upon. Stop trying to pigeonhole these people into being one thing when you probably dont know close to the whole story. And were not talking about running a business. Were talking about running a government- the factors you have to deal with are very different. Lerriuq do you know that they were apart of budgeting and finances if so I stand corrected until then I stand bye that a KFC owner knows more about finances.
                  No I dont know that they were. Do you know they werent? But if youre really going for comparisons, I would say that knowledge of how a KFC works isnt all that transferable to managing a $10 billion budget with multiple programs on a macro level.

Comment

• Your the expert Lerriuq I leave it to your expertise Lol

Comment

Your the expert Lerriuq I leave it to your expertise Lol
                      You think dealing with half a million dollars annually makes someone qualified to deal with around $10 billion?

Comment

• Only 4 more 0's to write down concept is the same lerriuq

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

So you were at least ten posts behind in the discussion. Good to know.
                          I wasn't 10 posts behind. I was aware others had commented on the gender balance, but since I hadn't why would you ask me what was wrong with it? You brought women up to me when I hadn't previously, which is exactly my point.

I'm done with this argument. I sincerely hope you can learn to not be so prejudiced in the future, I would be appalled if my children ever referred negatively to someone by their age, skin colour or gender like you did in post #108.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick View Post

I wasn't 10 posts behind. I was aware others had commented on the gender balance, but since I hadn't why would you ask me what was wrong with it? You brought women up to me when I hadn't previously, which is exactly my point.

I'm done with this argument. I sincerely hope you can learn to not be so prejudiced in the future, I would be appalled if my children ever referred negatively to someone by their age, skin colour or gender like you did in post #108.
                            Lol. No you jumped in on my post while ignoring the sexist posts that occurred previous to it. So youll forgive me if I dont give a rats *** about your situational judging of my posts that apparently is based on your political slant.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post
                              Do people really think cabinet ministers in our gov'ts are always appointed because of their specific connection to that portfolio? Some are what I would call "qualified" and some are there because of geography or other deciding factors. The cabinet ministers are mere figureheads and it's the deputy ministers and the staff underneath that actually do the work anyway.
                              Wow, we agree twice in one week. You are right, and I can say this since I can honestly say I have been through more government documents that anybody on this site. Twenty-five years, two provinces, five administrations, took me ten years to wade through that mountain of paper, and I can say with some confidence you are right. The Minister only needs a good sense of common sense, the Deputy Minister does the real work.

Comment

• Originally posted by prairiechickin View Post

Wow, we agree twice in one week. You are right, and I can say this since I can honestly say I have been through more government documents that anybody on this site. Twenty-five years, two provinces, five administrations, took me ten years to wade through that mountain of paper, and I can say with some confidence you are right. The Minister only needs a good sense of common sense, the Deputy Minister does the real work.
                                That would explain why the deputy minister or president of the crown corporation make more than the cabinet minister too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X