Ottawa to announce $800M settlement with Indigenous survivors of Sixties Scoop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raven50 View Post

They were scooped. Taken with no word or consideration for themselves or their families, that's the greater good? Just because some had good experiences doesn't discount that children were ripped from their families and kept from them their entire lives.
    No consideration for themselves? Do you actually believe that? Maybe we should have left those kids there then, they would be suing us for that instead. Why didn't we step in and help.

Comment

Originally posted by prairiechickin View Post

Ya, it was, the last black slaves to come to what is now Canada came with the Loyalists in the 1780s. And the northern colonies were the first to abolish slavery, we were the terminus of the underground railway until the civil war. We really have very little to apologize for in regards to slavery.
      Was referring to "the scoop"

Comment

You know what grinds my gears? Take some native kid out of a life of violence and squalor, place them with a loving white family where they are raised properly, give them a university education, and then they discover their native roots and want to go all-indian. No mention of the white culture that made them the well educated twenty-something that they are, no, its all about the red blood coursing through their veins. Give me a break.
        That is something I have always wondered about. When a person of color does well for themselves, they are considered oreos, twinkies or apples by their own people, depending on what race they are. Instead of being viewed as a role model they are ostracized and ridiculed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

That is something I have always wondered about. When a person of color does well for themselves, they are considered oreos, twinkies or apples by their own people, depending on what race they are. Instead of being viewed as a role model they are ostracized and ridiculed.
          Jealousy, IMHO.
          Where's the Bridge to more cram sammiches??

Comment

Originally posted by Supraturbo13 View Post

Was referring to "the scoop"
            Then you didn't read the link. CH was referring to the blacks in Nova Scotia seeking reparations for past slavery misdeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

I've mentioned my Native friends, they all have jobs, and houses, and well raised kids, and are surrounded by Indian ticks. Check out Chaos, 'Crabs in a Bucket'. It sez it all.

Comment

I've mentioned my Native friends, they all have jobs, and houses, and well raised kids, and are surrounded by Indian ticks. Check out Chaos, 'Crabs in a Bucket'. It sez it all.
                Yep crabs in a bucket is right...and chiefs are the biggest of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post

No consideration for themselves? Do you actually believe that? Maybe we should have left those kids there then, they would be suing us for that instead. Why didn't we step in and help.
                  You mean the cases where girls were adopted by a pedophile raped and the man was finally caught and convicted...Do you not think in those cases the government has some responsibility?

I

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

You mean the cases where girls were adopted by a pedophile raped and the man was finally caught and convicted...Do you not think in those cases the government has some responsibility?

I
                    Did the government know the guy was a paedophile? If not the guy who did the crime is responsible. Not the government in any way. I am sick of money grubbers sucking the life blood out of tax payers.

Time to turn off the tap 100% and let the swim or sink. Otherwise we will be giving a huge payout for something else. Maybe it will be our fault for drug abuse and alcoholism because we did not train them how to spend their windfall and welfare.
                    Last edited by tickdog; 10-12-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tickdog View Post

Maybe it will be our fault for drug abuse and alcoholism because we did not train them how to spend their windfall and welfare.
                      Don't kid yourself for a second, some day they will sue us for that. If we hadn't came here there would have been no alcohol, must be my fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I
                        Do you want to provide some specific cases where the government gave a native child to a known pedophile? We have laws and courts to deal with crime in this country. Only native related crimes have a big fat cheque with them. Any other citizen, unless you are a terrorist, is lucky if they even get any justice at all, never mind a fat cash payday.

Comment

Originally posted by tickdog View Post
                          Time to turn off the tap 100% and let the swim or sink. Otherwise we will be giving a huge payout for something else. Maybe it will be our fault for drug abuse and alcoholism because we did not train them how to spend their windfall and welfare.
                          http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...nada-1.4351057

Ahhhh this may be the next payout. Not helping with reducing HIV which are crippling and killing FN people and their culture. It could be the new "infected blanket" payout. Or do we as tax payers need to give needles to reduce the spread? But then the government would be sued/used for enabling drug use which would also be deemed crippling FN culture. FN culture needs to get off the government tit and fend for itself like every other culture out there. The current system we have is broken and enabling it, and those enabling it, aren't helping things at all. People are getting rich in the process off the FN people and they're dying and being destroyed because of it. Which is horribly unfair.

Meanwhile efforts are being focused on avoiding offending words, because they hurt FN culture so badly....

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Polio View Post

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...nada-1.4351057

Ahhhh this may be the next payout. Not helping with reducing HIV which are crippling and killing FN people and their culture. It could be the new "infected blanket" payout. Or do we as tax payers need to give needles to reduce the spread? But then the government would be sued/used for enabling drug use which would also be deemed crippling FN culture. FN culture needs to get off the government tit and fend for itself like every other culture out there. The current system we have is broken and enabling it, and those enabling it, aren't helping things at all. People are getting rich in the process off the FN people and they're dying and being destroyed because of it. Which is horribly unfair.

Meanwhile efforts are being focused on avoiding offending words, because they hurt FN culture so badly....

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

FFS.
                            Pretty funny when first nations have chiefs but the Toronto School Board thinks the word has come under fire before so they are being proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Pretty funny when first nations have chiefs but the Toronto School Board thinks the word has come under fire before so they are being proactive.
                              TBH based on my knowledge I would want any part of being associated with most Chiefs either!!!

Comment

"more right than wrong"? That's high praise coming from you. And its prairiechickin. Dr. prairiechickin to you. What bugs me about this story is that the feds just caved, they fell for the standard story line that if the Indians are angry, we must have done something wrong. And pay out big cash. This mentality has created an industry involving Indians and governments and lawyers that has to end. Canadians are generally good people and do not mind compensating people for past misdeeds, we've done it with Ukranians during the Great War, and with Japanese interned during WWII. Fine and dandy, but the Indians seem to go on forever. Just watch, with the missing and murdered thing percolating towards big cash payouts, the native lawyers are already sifting through the history books looking for the next big cha-ching.
                                Back when I was teaching, I used to stop by the local cookie shop and buy six fresh baked cookies, double chocolate, chunky monkey, whatever. I would lay them out on my desk, and let the class just look at them. As the class went on, anyone who said something really smart got to have a cookie. They were bright little magnets, they figured out the cookie thing quickly, and every class became an effort in saying something smart enough to get a cookie. There were only six, and when it got down to two, or one, things got serious. And I used to play 'Spot The Loonie', after the Monty Python skit, whereas any student who spotted the loonie in Canadian history would yell out, and I would dig a loonie out of my pocket, and fire it at the student. It kept my classroom live and interactive.
                                So lets play the Next Big Indian Thing. I have my ear close to the ground on this stuff, so I'll probably pick up on it before you, but just for fun, let's see who can pick out the next big Indian cha-ching. The prize is I will buy you a beer, anywhere in Saskatchewan, at any bar, and I will bring Sprout along for fun She's such a lovely lady. Ears up, Riderfans, let's see who can spot the next big thing.
                                Well, that took less than a week. I've already spotted the next big thing, nobody else has here, or at least doesn't want to cash in on my offer of a free beer with myself and Sprout.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X