Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep Apnea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don Mega View Post
    My ResMed machine has its own app you can load onto your phone. It tells me basic info from the previous night's sleep: how long the machine was on, how good the mask seal was, how many times you took the mask off, and how many events per hour. It rates all those categories and gives you a score out of 100. I seem to average around 0.5 events per hour since using the machine. That's the good news. The bad news is that I believe I'm not getting a good night's sleep because of the comfort level of wearing the mask.

I have sent a pre-determination to my insurance provider for 2 replacement masks. If they approve, I have 2 other masks I have been looking at that might work better for me.
    I have had a CPAP for 6 years and it took me a long time and a lot of experimenting with different masks because, like you, I didn't feel I was getting a good sleep, despite the "stats". I have used a full face mask (AirTouch F20) for the last 2 years and find it works awesome for me. What I was finding with the nasal pillows/masks, was that my mouth would open when I slept which really diminished the effectiveness of the mask as I was partially breathing through my mouth. With the full face, it doesn't matter, and makes a difference for me. I am a side sleeper and have no problems with leaks or hose tangling, etc

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

I have had a CPAP for 6 years and it took me a long time and a lot of experimenting with different masks because, like you, I didn't feel I was getting a good sleep, despite the "stats". I have used a full face mask (AirTouch F20) for the last 2 years and find it works awesome for me. What I was finding with the nasal pillows/masks, was that my mouth would open when I slept which really diminished the effectiveness of the mask as I was partially breathing through my mouth. With the full face, it doesn't matter, and makes a difference for me. I am a side sleeper and have no problems with leaks or hose tangling, etc
      I have been a mouth breather when I sleep for a long time. I always feel like I'm not getting enough air through my nose. Part of that is a deviated septum. I had surgery when I was younger that was supposed to fix that, but it didn't work. One huge benefit of CPAP for me is that I can now get enough air through my nose. I thought I would have problems keeping my mouth closed while using the machine, but that hasn't happened. It's mainly finding a mask that will work for me, especially when sleeping on my side. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 additional masks I'm looking at.

Comment

I have been a mouth breather when I sleep for a long time. I always feel like I'm not getting enough air through my nose. Part of that is a deviated septum. I had surgery when I was younger that was supposed to fix that, but it didn't work. One huge benefit of CPAP for me is that I can now get enough air through my nose. I thought I would have problems keeping my mouth closed while using the machine, but that hasn't happened. It's mainly finding a mask that will work for me, especially when sleeping on my side. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 additional masks I'm looking at.
        Good luck in your search. Eventually you will find one that works for you and it will make a big difference. I am going to re-try a couple of nasal masks/pillows again as I am going to purchase a Resmed Mini for travelling and a smaller mask would make for easier packing. Let us know how you make out with the new masks

Comment

• I received my 2 new masks today. They are:

Respironics Dreamweaver: https://www.philips.ca/healthcare/pr...N452/dreamwear
          (you have to scroll down the page to see more info on the mask)

Fisher & Paykel Brevida: https://www.fphcare.com/en-ca/homeca...masks/brevida/

They both feel comfortable out of the box. The Respironics mask feels a bit different with the swivel on top of the head, but apparently that should allow a "flip-flopper" like me to avoid getting tangled in the hose when I move side to side during the night.

I will post updates as I wear them both over the next few nights.

Comment

• Update for new mask #1: the Respironics Dreamwear (not Dreamweaver like I typed above):

It felt a bit weird to start with the hose connected on the top of my head. The opening for the air to go in the nose is also a bit different in that it is just one opening instead of 2 separate openings for your nostrils. I thought there would be lots of air leak with that design, but the seal was quite good. My Resmed app showed that the air leak with this mask was about half of what my other Resmed mask was, although the air leak on that mask was quite small too. After only 1 night I like it. We will see if that opinion changes over time.

I've been wearing new mask #2 for about an hour tonight, the Fisher & Paykel. It is a typical design: an opening for each nostril, hose connection at the nose. I will say that the hose seems to rest against my mouth, which I don't like. I am feeling a bit more pressure from the mask around my nose (not air pressure). I have adjusted the head strap, but that pressure is still there. The seal seems very good.

More updates to come.

Comment

• Good luck with that, Don Mega!

Comment

• For cleaning I found this on Amazon and it seems to get really good reviews, Even better, a quarter of the price of the SoClean one mentioned in previous threads. I will likely purchase sometime in the new year.

https://www.amazon.ca/Disinfector-St...s=rescomf+cpap

Image result for rescomf cpap cleaner

Comment

• Mask updates:

Mask #1 (Dreamwear) has been the mask I have been wearing more. Mask #2 (Fisher & Paykel) is also quite good, but I don't like how the hose connection to the mask hits my mouth. I think it is a bit of a design flaw. Mask #2 seems to keep a good seal even when I sleep on my side. However, mask #1 just feels a bit more comfortable, and I have gotten used to having the hose connection on the top of my head, for the most part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iggy Pop View Post
                    For cleaning I found this on Amazon and it seems to get really good reviews, Even better, a quarter of the price of the SoClean one mentioned in previous threads. I will likely purchase sometime in the new year.

https://www.amazon.ca/Disinfector-St...s=rescomf+cpap

Image result for rescomf cpap cleaner
                    A question for you and everyone else who is using a CPAP machine: how often are you cleaning the different parts, and how are you cleaning them? I have started cleaning the humidifier tank every day, because it is easy to do, and I don't think it is good to have water remain in the tank for extended periods of time. I clean the main hose and my masks every week. I use dish soap and water for my cleaning, as this is what is suggested by the manufacturers.

I can't justify $400-$500 for a SoClean, but I could possibly justify $80-$90 for the device listed above. However, I believe soap and water is effective for me.

Comment

A question for you and everyone else who is using a CPAP machine: how often are you cleaning the different parts, and how are you cleaning them? I have started cleaning the humidifier tank every day, because it is easy to do, and I don't think it is good to have water remain in the tank for extended periods of time. I clean the main hose and my masks every week. I use dish soap and water for my cleaning, as this is what is suggested by the manufacturers.

I can't justify $400-$500 for a SoClean, but I could possibly justify $80-$90 for the device listed above. However, I believe soap and water is effective for me.
                      I clean my mask, hose, and tank with just soap and water like you do but I get lazy and don't clean them very often, maybe once a month if I remember. I did buy some mask wipes off of one of the sites, which are like a disinfectant wipe. I use that on my mask every other day.

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

I clean my mask, hose, and tank with just soap and water like you do but I get lazy and don't clean them very often, maybe once a month if I remember. I did buy some mask wipes off of one of the sites, which are like a disinfectant wipe. I use that on my mask every other day.
                        I was the same way very lazy to a point that I rarely cleaned it. I also could not justify the So Kleen but I did get it and am so happy I did. Everything is cleaned each day and what a difference. Do not miss the money after a week either can't take it with me and someone else would spend it needlessly anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by inspector7 View Post

I was the same way very lazy to a point that I rarely cleaned it. I also could not justify the So Kleen but I did get it and am so happy I did. Everything is cleaned each day and what a difference. Do not miss the money after a week either can't take it with me and someone else would spend it needlessly anyways.
                          Does the So Kleen require any maintenance?

Comment

• This thread and the Sous Vide one will always make me think of my friend ROFLMAO , Bradley ....

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmac View Post

Does the So Kleen require any maintenance?
                              Replace a filter every 6 monthes

Comment

• Another mask update: The Dreamwear mask (#1 of the two I recently bought) seems to be a really good mask. I have gotten used to the hose swivel being on the top of my head and that allows me to roll from side to side easily at night. I have also gotten used to the unique nose piece. It doesn't go inside your nostrils like a lot of nasal pillow masks, but it is also smaller than the typical nasal mask. It is very comfortable, and I seem to get a good air seal every night. Lastly, I don't seem to get the urge to take the mask off in the middle of the night like I did with some of the other masks I have tried.

I think I have found my winner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X