Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleep Apnea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Apnea

I know this was on the old site so thought i would bring it up again.
    A few years ago I went to the sleep group and got full apparatus to see if i had sleep apnea...think i stopped breathing 8 times in a one hour period, not sure if that is low, medium, or high.
    bought the full mask and had a machine and really had trouble getting used to it....so took the machine back... now a few years later i snore like a freight train again and feel ragged every day....it is time to go back, especially for Oct 1st since it will be back to $275 again...do i have to get tested again to get one or can they use the past results for a couple of years ago?...anybody else out there with the full mask? I toss and turn in the night, maybe once i get used to it i wont toss and turn....and would really like to make this work as am a zombie during the day...thanks!

Pretty sure you'll have to get tested again as things change if you gain/lose weight and likely other factors which would change the pressure your machine would need to be at for the best treatment.

​​​​​​Have you tried using a nose cushion mask? Very easy to get used to and won't make you feel all claustrophobic. I hated the full masks.

Good luck...if you do need treatment it will literally change your life for the better.

Comment

I believe that now they send you home with a machine and after a few nights they will insert the card into their computer and will be able to tell you what you need. I have had a machine for maybe 15 years now and started out with a full mask but now use the pillows. I am a back sleeper but now do sleep some on my side since we got a new bed. I would not sleep without my cpap and you will not believe how much better you will feel. It will save your life. Sask. Health will give you a machine for free and you just need to buy the mask and hose. I now own my own and splurged for the Cadillac that is automatic and has a humidifier. The automatic only blows air when you inhale and not when you exhale.

Comment

Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
        I believe that now they send you home with a machine and after a few nights they will insert the card into their computer and will be able to tell you what you need. I have had a machine for maybe 15 years now and started out with a full mask but now use the pillows. I am a back sleeper but now do sleep some on my side since we got a new bed. I would not sleep without my cpap and you will not believe how much better you will feel. It will save your life. Sask. Health will give you a machine for free and you just need to buy the mask and hose. I now own my own and splurged for the Cadillac that is automatic and has a humidifier. The automatic only blows air when you inhale and not when you exhale.
        The sask health giving it free is no longer, I think.

Comment

I use the nose pillow type mask. I call it my bed scuba. I hardly notice it now. But boy, I sure do notice when - for whatever reason - I have to try sleeping without my CPAP machine. Id rather stay awake all night than try that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug123 View Post
            I use the nose pillow type mask. I call it my bed scuba. I hardly notice it now. But boy, I sure do notice when - for whatever reason - I have to try sleeping without my CPAP machine. Id rather stay awake all night than try that again.
            Agree. I don't even nap without it.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
              A few years ago I went to the sleep group and got full apparatus to see if i had sleep apnea...think i stopped breathing 8 times in a one hour period, not sure if that is low, medium, or high.
              bought the full mask and had a machine and really had trouble getting used to it....so took the machine back... now a few years later i snore like a freight train again and feel ragged every day....it is time to go back, especially for Oct 1st since it will be back to $275 again...do i have to get tested again to get one or can they use the past results for a couple of years ago?...anybody else out there with the full mask? I toss and turn in the night, maybe once i get used to it i wont toss and turn....and would really like to make this work as am a zombie during the day...thanks!
              I went through the same thing as you years ago. I got the machine and struggled like crazy getting used to the mask and stopped using it for a couple of years, I actually felt like a slime ball because I still had the machine but wasn't using it knowing there was people who would use it. I got back onto the machine after that and now I don't think I could function without it, I recommend you force yourself to stay on it and you won't regret it. I got mine through the U of S sleep lab.

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

The sask health giving it free is no longer, I think.
                Okay Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

Okay Yoda
                  Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ROFLMAO View Post

Agree. I don't even nap without it.
                    How portable is it for travel?

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

The SaskHealth ones pack up into a case about the same size as a small travel laptop case

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

The one that I have from SAIL, which I added a humidifier. Not bad, but not great, if I leave the humidifier behind. There are some newer ones that are really compact.

They make you take them out of the bag to go through security at the airport. I don't recommend putting it in your checked bag.

The airlines will often let you have an extra carry-on if this is one of them.

Comment

I have the full mask as I'm a bit of a mouth breather. But what I find works for me to curb the mouth breathing is to use those damn nasal strips. I had always thought they were gimmicky. But I'll be damned if the don't work. Quitting smoking also really helped too.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
                            I have a full mask and it maybe wakes me once a month from discomfort. You get used to it very easily and the sleep you'll be getting will make it easier to sleep through having it on!

Comment

Just an update, I got the nose pillow type mask...much more comfortable than the old full face I had 4 years ago....sleep clinic recommended a nasal after their tests....9 nights in and wow what a game changer, I feel like a new man...Tuesday night I had it on for only 2 hours and wow did I feel like a zombie the next day....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X