PDA

View Full Version : Sully Glasser's widow passes away

swamp_witch
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
A few of you on here may remember Sully who played for us in the 40s and early 50s. He played in the 1951 Grey Cup when Glenn Dobbs was our quarterback. Sully scored a huge touchdown for us in our comeback, but unfortunately we lost the game 21-14.

http://www.cfl.ca/page/his_greycup_recap1951
http://www.legacy.com/can-regina/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=148144491

Riders - Edmonton
01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Sad to hear. I am sure she had a great life being partnered with Sully and it appears she had a large loving family.

Sully was an all round athlete and a very good baseball player (SS/P). He played for the Regina Red Sox in the 40's along with another Roughrider, Ken Charlton (C/CF).

Although those players were smaller than today's athletes they were really tough as they had very little equipment for protection, the fields were really rough, and the travel was difficult as the roads in those days were very bad.

A pic of Sully on the diamond below. I seem to remember the National Film Board of Canada has film of Sully from the 40's on the football field teaching different skills. I will try to find it online and post it.

stanthefan
01-29-2011, 06:13 AM
I golfed with Sully at Fort Qu'Appelle (Echo Valley GC) when I was still in public school. He was a great multi-sport athlete.
He and Ken Charlton were in the backfield in the old days of the "flying wing" formation, and Ken often "quick-kicked"

swamp_witch
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I golfed with Sully at Fort Qu'Appelle (Echo Valley GC) when I was still in public school. He was a great multi-sport athlete.
He and Ken Charlton were in the backfield in the old days of the "flying wing" formation, and Ken often "quick-kicked"

Even though I was just a kid at the time, I remember him doing that.

Glasser33
02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Does anyone have any more pictures of my Great Uncle Sully?

Riders - Edmonton
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM

I was sure I saw a video from the 40's or 50's in the National Film Board archives but I haven't been able to find it,.. I will do another search,.. it was on football skills, catching, throwing, kicking, blocking etc.

Riders - Edmonton
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM

This is the info I have on the film;

1 FOOTBALL TRAINING / ARCHBISHOP KINGSTON VISITS HOMETOWN
Football Training (Regina, Saskatchewan, 14/08/1947): sequence on Cathy Lavang, formerly with army show unit overseas, leading Regina Roughrider hopefuls in limbering up exercises. CU of Johnny "Red" Bell being coached by Cathy. CU of Cathy watching her athletes closely. Various shots of exercises, high kicking, footwork drill, blocking being carried out under watchful eye of Cathy. Shot of coach Ken Preston, #11, passing ball, of Roy Wright, #20, passing ball, of Sully Glasser, #32, kicking, Stan Rose, #22, kicking, Johnny Bell, #35 catching pass. Various shots of training, coach Preston giving instructions. Shots of scrimmage and practice pass.

SHOT: 10732 YEAR: 1947
SOUND: Silent
FORMAT: 35mm fine grain b&w CAN: NFB1940-FG-317-01
COLLECTION National Film Board FOOTAGE: 0007 - 0347
HI-8 NUMBER: H8-843 TIME: 04:00:04:20 - 04:03:51:10

Riders - Edmonton
02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Here is the link to the above video,.. I think the 1947 team is wearing the Red & Black jerseys, shows a number of players demonstrating skills, including Sully

Quicktime required;

http://images.nfb.ca/images/pages/en/search.html?clipIndex=6&nbpage=10&pageStr=1&newSearch=true&limitSearch=501&keyword=football+training&termsList=&geo=&year_from=&year_until=&collection=&duration_from=&duration_until=&number=&__son=&highDef=&clipAvailable=true&aspectRatio=&resolution=&sourceFormat=&uvcount=&avcount=&parentTopic=&searchTopic=