PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now

Stoi
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Some random Rider players that really coulda been CFL legends if they played longer.

Add to this list and also find out where are they now.

KR Willis Jacox. Amazing kick returner

RB Bobby Johnson. Was exciting.

WR Curtis Mayfield.

DL Vince Goldsmith.

GM Bill Baker - Maybe we bring him back.

Bigsexydawg
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Curtis Mayfield is probably in jail and has a 100 kids trying to find him on Father's Day.

riderfan13
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Where are Harry Skipper and Albert Brown? Anybody know?

Bigsexydawg
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Where are Harry Skipper and Albert Brown? Anybody know?

Still suffering from second and third degree burns.

Lotus
01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Trevis Smith.......in a Cadillac on Hollywood Boulevard???

Bigsexydawg
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Whatever happened to Carlton Lance?

Canuckmedic
01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Ugg I remember when Bobby Johnson hurt his neck...tragic:(

riderfan13
01-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Still suffering from second and third degree burns.

I thought Skipper was pretty good. It's been a long time but I thought he was damn good.

chem_247
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Ugg I remember when Bobby Johnson hurt his neck...tragic:(

You can say that again. Tragic in so many ways. First off that it is such a serious injury, that ended his football career, and has probably affected his quality of life since that greatly.

Secondly, he was absolutely outstanding in the time he did play. One could only imagine the records that he would have set had he stayed healthy.

Easily the best running back that I had seen up to that point, maybe ever. Kenton Keith in his prime was really good...and IMO was the best that I had seen in a 'Riders uniform.

This might be a good thread starter....I.E. the "What could have been thread."

That is players that really lit it up in limited action then left.

Paul Spicer comes to mind. Arrived here in late 1998, and kicked *** for the rest of that year. I remember him owning the Stamps in a game that fall at home.

He then signed in the NFL, and has been there ever since (at least until last year). Fantastic NFL career, and was a key part of that tough Jaguar D-Line.

Hang Loose
01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
How about KD Williams? Didn't he go from the Riders, to the Bummers, to the Miami Airport hauling suitcases for tips, to the NFL (Packers), to the Tabbies, to the ...

Maybe not in that exact order.

3rdgenrf
01-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Curits Marsh could have had an outstanding career if his head would have been screwed on straight!

RiderPride89
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Some random Rider players that really coulda been CFL legends if they played longer.

Add to this list and also find out where are they now.

KR Willis Jacox. Amazing kick returner

RB Bobby Johnson. Was exciting.

WR Curtis Mayfield.

DL Vince Goldsmith.

GM Bill Baker - Maybe we bring him back.

Jacox went to the Iowa Barnstormers in the Arena League for a few years after he left the CFL. He won league MVP twice, I think. A quick google search shows he was a high school coach in Minnesota and is currently deputy sheriff of Hennepin County.

How about Joe "747" Adams? Last I heard, the CFL was looking for him so he could get his pension money, and he was driving a cab somewhere in the States.

Forever Green
01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Joey Walters

3rdgenrf
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Chris DeFrance

The Duke
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Joey Walters

Is a legend ...greatest Rider Receiver of all time IMO

Giventofly
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Is a legend ...greatest Rider Receiver of all time IMO

He should've been.

Flatulator
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Curtis Marsh could have had an outstanding career if his head would have been screwed on straight!

I think Shivers said "He would have still been in the NFL if his head was on straight". Or something to that effect.

dollar
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Harlan Huckleby Would have been a great rb. Damn that NFL!

The Duke
01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
He should've been.

Understood .. and agreed. But man Walters was so special.

Steve W
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
where are:

Tom Campana
Lorne Richardson
Roger Goree
Chris Defrance
Ted Provost
Ric Ebers
Pete Van Valkenburg
Steve Molnar
Joey Walters
Emanuel Tolbert (I know where he is :))

Ah what days....

The Duke
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Harlan Huckleby Would have been a great rb. Damn that NFL!

#25 with the Green Bay Packers ....I got his Green Packer Jersey while at a game in Green Bay...still have it all these years later.

DoubleCoverage
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
where are:

Tom Campana
Lorne Richardson
Roger Goree
Chris Defrance
Ted Provost
Ric Ebers
Pete Van Valkenburg
Steve Molnar
Joey Walters
Ah what days....

Well? where is he? I liked him.

dd
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/03/05/tolbert030305.html

DoubleCoverage
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Ah-OH! [slaps forehead]

That is all.

Jesse834
01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Does anybody know where Jackie Mitchell is?

Flatulator
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM

I hear he's a test subject at Harvard Medical School. They are researching the hamstring that will not heal!

Dylan E
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Dan Farthing?

Dan is now involved in working with high performance athletes, some with Olympic credentials.

Answered my own question.

All hail Google

Lotus
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/05/18/mitchell-named-southern-assistant?blog=2

Southern football coach Pete Richardson has turned to former free safety Jackie Mitchell to be the team’s new defensive backs coach.

Mitchell played linebacker for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League but has no full-time coaching experience.

“He should help us out a lot as far as knowing what to expect on defense and also experience-wise,” Richardson said. “He’s been a professional athlete, so he can help us out on the details.”

Mitchell spent seven years in the CFL, making the CFL All-Star team in 2003, and also had stints as a free agent in the NFL, playing for the Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers.

“I’m very excited about coming back to my alma mater,” said Mitchell, who works full time for General Electric and also acts as a player development consultant in Houston. Mitchell will start at SU on June 2. “They’ve got a great core there. I’m thankful Coach Richardson is giving me the chance to get started. I have a great place to start. The same people are going to be there to help me who were there to help me get started as a player.”

Mitchell was an All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection as a senior in 1998 and then returned the next season, serving as a graduate assistant under defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach Michael Vite.

“He expressed an interest in coaching and because he played for us and we had an opening come available, we wanted to try to get him in,” Richardson said. “I think he understands what is expected in our program. He went through it, so he should bring a lot of pluses to us.”

Mitchell played a linebacker position known as dimebacker, which is like an extra defensive back, he said. Mitchell also played some at halfback.

“With just getting out of the game, I can see things from the other perspective,” Mitchell said. “And with my attitude, enthusiasm and passion, and with all the other coaches, it’s going to be a great fit.”

With Mitchell’s hiring, defensive coordinator Terrence Graves will stay with the linebackers and Todd Middleton will continue to work with the defensive line, where they were during spring practice. Richardson coached the secondary during spring ball.

Although this was announced in May 2008.

gpridernut
01-12-2010, 01:06 AM
rhett dawson...was pure magic but walked away when the team didn't offer him enough money...

Pacificgreen
01-12-2010, 01:12 AM

Woah!!! I never heard that. I do remember it was his winky that got him a ticket out of here...

Doug123
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Dan Farthing?

Dan is now involved in working with high performance athletes, some with Olympic credentials.

Answered my own question.

All hail Google

Yep. Level 10 Fitness.

dollar
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
#25 with the Green Bay Packers ....I got his Green Packer Jersey while at a game in Green Bay...still have it all these years later.

Very cool!

Spedly
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM

I didn't know that. Thanks for the link.

Stoi
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
No Rider but I wonder what Tracey Ham is up to.

Stoi
01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes Chris DeFrance and Joey Walters.

Wow, them were the days.

Bigsexydawg
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
No Rider but I wonder what Tracey Ham is up to.

The last I heard he was a developer/partner in some type of football database for player tracking, or something like that.

szarka33
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Jackie Mitchell should donate his hamstrings to science.

Bigsexydawg
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Jackie Mitchell should donate his hamstrings to science.

I thought he was Roy and Wally's clubhouse spy.

szarka33
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I thought he was Roy and Wally's clubhouse spy.

and Charles Thomas....he could spin on a second's notice if he noticed something funny behind him going on...

Bigsexydawg
01-12-2010, 02:09 PM
and Charles Thomas....he could spin on a second's notice if he noticed something funny behind him going on...

What was going on behind him was the QB being sacked and I didn't find it funny.

dd
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Wow, them were the days.

In 1990 I worked on a movie set with Ron Robinson (Rider receiver 82-83 season). He kept asking me - about 4 times a day for 3 weeks - where Chris DeFrance was... as if I knew him or something. Ron is still working as a stunt man out in Vancouver at age 54.

Stoi
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
In 1990 I worked on a movie set with Ron Robinson (Rider receiver 82-83 season). He kept asking me - about 4 times a day for 3 weeks - where Chris DeFrance was... as if I knew him or something. Ron is still working as a stunt man out in Vancouver at age 54.

Yes, being a Canadian in NY, I get the same question about every Canadian hockey player that comes to the US like he lived next door to me or something.

I did have a lot of American people that knew about the Grey Cup though when I was flying home from the game. I was wearing my Rider jersey and everyone in most airports was like, wow, tough loss.

The Duke
01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Wow, them were the days.

In one season Joey Walters and Chris Defrance inside with Emanual Tolbert and Dwight Edwards ( he could catch that year ) at wideout ..speaking of legends that is a legendary group. Maybe the best group ever fielded by the Riders ??

green4life
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
How bout these ones; a few with lots of potential and promise but never fully succeeded...

Profail Grier - great speed

Mario Smith - big hitter but not the most intellegent

Frank Jagas - IIRC McCallum's replacement in 1996 when McCallum learned he couldn't tackle

R-Kal Truluk - bounced around a bit; made brief stop in MTL while ago; quite the character

Curtis Marsh - as mentioned in thread; was top receiver in 2000; what a waste of talent... imagine if he woulda been on the same team as Lewis, Rambo and Copeland!

Sam Garza - former QB coach; still find it humourous that Murphy traded him from WPG (son in law)

Fullhouse
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Matt Dominguez - really only had one productive season with the Riders. Too bad - having said that, without the bummed knees probably never would have came to the CFL.

Keith Smith - That poor bugger really knew how to get injured when put into a good situation.

Darren Davis - Really liked him with the Riders. I don't think his heart was in it with the Eskimos. Managed to hurt his neck bad with the Renegades. I think he had a tryout with the Al's after that.

Jim Ballard - Had significant playing time with the Argo's, but who could forget his career with the Riders. His first pass and he breaks his arm.

Anthony Mclanahan - A very good flamboyant linebacker with the Stamps. Shivers first significant signing. Couldn't really understand that signing because he was apparently forced to retire due to a neck injury. Then signs with the Riders in the offseason. Then retires during training camp because he turned his neck wrong in a team meeting apparently. He must have loved the Riders, they paid his salary the rest of the season.

Stoi
01-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Once again not a Rider for still a Saskatchewan Boy.

RB Rueben Mayes

I think he's in Washington State now.

entropy19
01-13-2010, 11:47 PM
willis jacox was my first "favorite player"... I do seem to remember teams kicking out of bounds every time after a while... that was also the yea he beat the rocket (and his million dolar salary) in return yards...

squish
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Once again not a Rider for still a Saskatchewan Boy.

RB Rueben Mayes

I think he's in Washington State now.

Rueben, man, try growing up in North Battleford in the early/mid 80's. All you heard about was Rueben. My High School was wallpapered with his photo and posters.

We drafted him didn't we? It was worth taking the flier.

CalgaryRiderFan
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Rueben, man, try growing up in North Battleford in the early/mid 80's. All you heard about was Rueben. My High School was wallpapered with his photo and posters.

We drafted him didn't we? It was worth taking the flier.

At that time the territorial exemption rule may have still been in place where you could pick a local guy before the draft. That might have been the last year of that rule and we used our exemption on Reuben

danno
01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Matt Dominguez - really only had one productive season with the Riders. Too bad - having said that, without the bummed knees probably never would have came to the CFL.

Keith Smith - That poor bugger really knew how to get injured when put into a good situation.

Darren Davis - Really liked him with the Riders. I don't think his heart was in it with the Eskimos. Managed to hurt his neck bad with the Renegades. I think he had a tryout with the Al's after that.

Jim Ballard - Had significant playing time with the Argo's, but who could forget his career with the Riders. His first pass and he breaks his arm.

Anthony Mclanahan - A very good flamboyant linebacker with the Stamps. Shivers first significant signing. Couldn't really understand that signing because he was apparently forced to retire due to a neck injury. Then signs with the Riders in the offseason. Then retires during training camp because he turned his neck wrong in a team meeting apparently. He must have loved the Riders, they paid his salary the rest of the season.

Davis reportedly had the lowest score ever recorded on the NFL's Wonderlic test, IIRC he scored 4 out of 50.

Europeanriderfan
01-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Davis reportedly had the lowest score ever recorded on the NFL's Wonderlic test, IIRC he scored 4 out of 50.

Had to look that up and it seems like it's true. Wow, calls into question some NCAA academic programs.

riderfaninbc
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Understood .. and agreed. But man Walters was so special.

Could be way off but if my old memory still work wasn't he the first Rider to have 100 receptions in a year.

riderfaninbc
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM

I agree Emanuel Tolbert was good. I remember a play where he made a catch against Edm. and was inbound by like 3 feet and the ref called him out. No challenge flag on those days.

Green in Queen City
01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Could be way off but if my old memory still work wasn't he the first Rider to have 100 receptions in a year.

was he was, in 1982.
He actually had more yds in '81 (just over 1700 IIRC but only had 91 catches)
in 82 he had 100 exactly IIRC. for just Under 1700 yds

Bigsexydawg
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM

If one ever heard his interviews it didn't take long to figure out why.

Jedrock43
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Had to look that up and it seems like it's true. Wow, calls into question some NCAA academic programs.

I played football in University with a few guys who could not write.

I took the English Essay exam for a few of them to keep them eligible.

szarka33
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I played football in University with a few guys who could not write.

I took the English Essay exam for a few of them to keep them eligible.

Albert Brown was a complete mess....I don't think he could write.

Bigsexydawg
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM

But he sure knew how to find Popeye's chicken in Sacramento.

szarka33
01-14-2010, 01:01 PM
But he sure knew how to find Popeye's chicken in Sacramento.

There was a story about Albert in Ridgway's book....how Albert couldn't read or sign his bill or something....maybe someone remembers?

CalgaryRiderFan
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure if its the same story, but Albert did dispute his bill on a road trip cause he didn't order a gratuity and wanted it taken off his bill

Bigsexydawg
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Not sure if its the same story, but Albert did dispute his bill on a road trip cause he didn't order a gratuity and wanted it taken off his bill

A former Rider once told me the sotry of a road trip to Calgary where he and some players, including Bob Poley, went out for supper. When the waitress asked if any wanted dessert, Poley asked for pie and ice cream. The waitress said okay, "One Pie-a-la-mode." Poley got all mad and said "NO, I want pie and ice cream."

szarka33
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
someone also told me Albert Brown wanted a plain hamburger, so he ordered a cheeseburger without the cheese.

cripes.

szarka33
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM

that's it

jvjones
01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Joey Walters

Didn't achieve the career numbers of Elgard or Narcisse, but as far as basic talent, he also gets my vote for greatest Rider receiver of all time.
His 1981 numbers were 91 for 1715 with 14 touchdowns, and in 1982 he was 102 for 1692 with 7 touchdowns. I was a very sad young man when he headed south after that season. Of course his name and number is now featured on my retro jersey.

I believe he now works for Florida Citrus sports and is involved in the administration/marketing of a couple of bowl games.

Huff Daddy
01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Joey Walters

Easily the best Receiver to ever wear Green and White...and it's not even close.

jvjones
01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Chris DeFrance

Didn't he stay in Regina for quite a few years...maybe still. He was involved in track and field for quite awhile.

jvjones
01-14-2010, 09:51 PM
where are:

Tom Campana
Lorne Richardson
Roger Goree
Chris Defrance
Ted Provost
Ric Ebers
Pete Van Valkenburg
Steve Molnar
Joey Walters

Ah what days....

Campana and Provost were both inducted into the Plaza of Honor in 2008...I think they both returned their hometowns after there careers ended, and IIRC they both commented that they had not been back to Regina since they retired.

I believe Lorne Richardson is still selling suits at Moore's. I think he's the manager too.

jvjones
01-14-2010, 09:56 PM
In one season Joey Walters and Chris Defrance inside with Emanual Tolbert and Dwight Edwards ( he could catch that year ) at wideout ..speaking of legends that is a legendary group. Maybe the best group ever fielded by the Riders ??

Air Faragalli, flight 17-74-19-33...with JJ Barnagel at the controls. That team was fun to watch.

jvjones
01-14-2010, 10:01 PM

But he got himself a Cadillac back in the day...I've searched my old VHS tapes but I still can't find the infamous clip of Vince Goldsmith interviewing Albert on Sportsjournal. That was TV gold!!!

The Duke
01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
What about Ex-CJME'er Mitchell Blair ?? Is he still in Regina ?

szarka33
01-15-2010, 02:55 PM

I think he does the odd Pats game for Access, writes the odd article for Riderville, but mostly is blogging right now....and looking for work I assume...

bignorm
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM

I think he was the stadium announcer on Saturday night at the pats game. Not sure but it sounded like him.

szarka33
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Air Faragalli, flight 17-74-19-33...with JJ Barnagel at the controls. That team was fun to watch.

sounds like Shivers record...;)

szarka33
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
I think he was the stadium announcer on Saturday night at the pats game. Not sure but it sounded like him.

I think Darren Szabo does that...but maybe he needed a night off.

bignorm
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I think Darren Szabo does that...but maybe he needed a night off.

Yeah the usual guy was there for the game Friday, saturday wasn't the usual guy, really sounded like mitchell blair.

Bigsexydawg
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah the usual guy was there for the game Friday, saturday wasn't the usual guy, really sounded like mitchell blair.

He was the stadium announcer Saturday night.

I miss Mitchell Blair, he was such a sweet young lad on the radio. He loved the posters here.

In fact he would be in my list of celebrities I would like to go to lunch with. Mitch, if you're reading, let's go for Egg Rolls sometime.

szarka33
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
He was the stadium announcer Saturday night.

I miss Mitchell Blair, he was such a sweet young lad on the radio. He loved the posters here.

In fact he would be in my list of celebrities I would like to go to lunch with. Mitch, if you're reading, let's go for Egg Rolls sometime.

You guys could do Newtown one day and have a buffet-off.

Rock Preston #1
01-15-2010, 03:21 PM

BSD could plug his nose and they would sound the same bantering back and forth across the table.

Bigsexydawg
01-15-2010, 03:26 PM

We would invite Pete Paczko.

Beels
01-15-2010, 03:27 PM

:hilariou

That or put them out of business...

szarka33
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM

LOL...year end clean-up crew....

Bigsexydawg
01-15-2010, 03:32 PM

500 chickens died that day for that event.

Beels
01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
500 chickens died that day for that event.

Some poor dog just lost the better part of it's a$$...

Stephen LaRose
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM

http://blair-necessities.blogspot.com/

Lotus
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
http://blair-necessities.blogspot.com/

Saw him wheelin' a cart full of grocerys out of Sobeys this past Monday.

szarka33
01-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Saw him wheelin' a cart full of grocerys out of Sobeys this past Monday.

I saw him at the 7-11......

Lotus
01-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I saw him at the 7-11......

It appears at least he isn't starving :D

Riders - Edmonton
01-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Some "Where are they now" info from a Leader post article from 2006 - 40 year reunion of 1966 Cup win.

JACK ABENDSCHAN :Guard and placekicker with Saskatchewan, 1965-75 Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Resides in Abilene, Texas, where he coaches the offensive line and tight ends with McMurry University.

HINCKLEY ARCHER: Saskatchewan's equipment manager, 1960-66. Died June 5, 1995 at age 82.

SANDY ARCHER: Saskatchewan's trainer, 1951-80. Plaza of Honor inductee(1988). Retired and living in Regina.

RON ATCHISON: Defensive lineman with Roughriders, 1952-66. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Retired and living in Regina.

DON BAHNUIK: Defensive tackle with Roughriders, 1966-74. Lives in Edmonton, where he is a financial and insurance adviser.

GORD BARWELL: split end with Roughriders, 1964-73. Plaza of Honor inductee (1994). Died of cancer in Toronto on April 21, 1988, at age 43.

AL BENECICK: Roughriders offensive lineman, 1959-68. Inducted into Canadian Football Hall of Fame, April 15, 1996.Plaza of Honor inductee (1991).Lives in Regina. Retired about five years ago after spending 15 years with the Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation.

BRUCE BENNETT:Defensive back with Roughriders, 1966-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1991).Lives in Lake Wales, Fla., where he coaches football at Lake Wales High School.

TOM BEYNON: Offensive tackle with 1966 and 1967 Roughriders. Lawyer in Waterloo, Ont.

CLYDE BROCK; Offensive tackle, 1964-75. Four-time CFL all-star. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Retired and living in Lake Oswego, Ore., where he moved after spending almost 30 years in San Diego.

ED BUCHANAN: Tailback with Saskatchewan, 1963-67. Died of Lou Gehrig's disease in San Diego on Aug. 31, 1991, at age 51.

WALLY DEMPSEY: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1966-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Lives in Sacramento, Calif., where he operates Dempsey Construction.

HANK DORSCH: Running back and defensive back with Roughriders, 1964-71.Saskatchewan's general manager, 1978-79.Plaza of Honor inductee (2004). Lives in Regina. Retired in December after 25 years with Public Service Commission, most recently as a recruitment specialist.

PAUL DUDLEY: Stabbed to death in Las Vegas in March of 1987, at age 48. Previously played with Green Bay, Philadelphia and New York Giants of the NFL, and Calgary of the CFL.

LARRY DUMELIE: Saskatchewan defensive back, 1960-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (2003). Resides in Osgoode, Ont., where he owns a 100-acre farm.

JIM DUNCAN: Assistant coach with Roughriders, 1965-69. Head coach of Calgary team which won 1971 Grey Cup. Retired and living on a golf course in Calabash, N.C.

TED DUSHINSKI: Defensive back with Roughriders, 1965-75. Plaza of Honor inductee (1993). Died of cancer in Vancouver on Oct. 24, 2005 at age 61.

GARNER EKSTRAN: Played with Roughriders from 1961-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (1990). Lives in birthplace of Bow, Wash., where he is Western Canadian territory sales manager for Miller Ag-Bag, which sells agricultural products.

DON GERHARDT: Defensive end and linebacker with Riders, 1966-68. Resides in Golden Valley, Minn., where he is CEO of Medical Alley/MNBIO -- a health care and life science trade association.

JACK GOTTA: Assistant coach with Roughriders, 1965-67 . . . Receiver with Roughriders, 1960-64. Former head coach of Ottawa, Calgary and Sask. Lives in Cochrane, Alta.

EAGLE KEYS: Roughriders head coach, 1965-70. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Retired and living in Langley, B.C.

BOB KOSID: Defensive back with Riders, 1964-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1997). Lives in Hamilton. Loading dock foreman for Northam, an office management company.

DALE LAIRD: Roughriders equipment manager, 1966-79. Lives in Regina, where he is self-employed doing renovations and small carpentry jobs.

MOE LEVESQUE; Defensive tackle played 15 games with 1966 Roughriders. Could not be located. Believed to be living in Quebec.

DON MacDONALD: Roughriders president in 1950, 1966 and 1967. Worked with 1966 management committee, which also consisted of Clair Warner, Don McPherson, Bill Clarke and Alan Sangster. Served on management committee from 1946-75. Died Jan. 4, 1979 at age 78.

JIM McKEAN: Punted for Roughriders during six games in 1966. Became a Major League Baseball umpire in 1973. Worked in three World Series (1979, 1985, 1995). Became an umpire supervisor in 2002. Lives in St. Petersburg, Fla.

ED McQUARTERS: Defensive lineman with Roughriders, 1966-74. Plaza of Honor (1989). Worked with SaskPower, 1968-98. Retired and living in Regina.

MEL OTTENBREIT: Ball boy with Roughriders for "seven or eight years,'' concluding in 1966.Lives in Winnipeg, where he was a valet and horse owner at Assiniboia Downs until a few years ago. Power engineer for Winnipeg's YMCAs.

GIL PETMANIS: Played 11 games with 1966 Roughriders. Retired and living in Oshawa, Ont.

KEN PRESTON: Roughriders general manager, 1958-77. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Died on Aug. 2, 1991 of Alzheimer's disease at age 73.

RICH PRESTON: Roughriders ball boy for first half of 1966 season. Former NHL and WHA player. Former head coach of WHL's Regina Pats. Calgary Flames assistant coach. Lives in Calgary.

KEN REED: Linebacker and defensive end with Roughriders, 1965-70. Plaza of Honor inductee (2006). Lives between White City and Balgonie. Operates Reed Leisure Products.

ALAN FORD: Mr. Versatility with Riders, 1965-76.Roughriders GM, 1989-99.Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Born in Regina, where he still resides. Semi-retired. Sales representative for Intergold.

CLIFF SHAW: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1966-70. Died on June 15, 1993 of a liver ailment at age 49. Younger brother of Wayne Shaw.

WAYNE SHAW: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1961-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1994). Lives in Saskatoon. Operates used-book store-A Book Hunter.

DON THOMPSON: Running back spent time on the Riders' taxi squad in 1965 and 1966. Central Collegiate grad. Lives in Canora. Principal at Chief Kahkewistahaw Community School.

TED URNESS: Regina-born centre with Roughriders, 1961-70. Plaza of Honor in 1989. Lives in Saskatoon, where he has been "fully and completely retired''. Previously, he spent five years as chairman/CEO of the Saskatchewan Liquor Board, plus 22 years in the farm and industrial equipment business.

GALEN WAHLMEIER: Centre, linebacker and long-snapper had three stints with Roughriders (1957, 1959-63, 1965-67). Mayor of Estevan, 1976-82. Retired school teacher lives in White Bear. Helps out at boys' and girls' camp in Kenosee during the summer. Board member, Southeast Saskatchewan Association for Culture, Recreation and Sport.

DALE WEST: Defensive back and receiver with Roughriders, 1962-68. Plaza of Honor inductee (1997). Lives in Regina, where he is program co-ordinator with the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.

REG WHITEHOUSE: Roughriders' offensive line from 1952 to 1966.Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Retired and lives with wife Joanne-Miss Grey Cup 1953-in Chilliwack, B.C.

GENE WLASIUK: Roughriders defensive back and punt returner, 1959-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Retired and living in Regina.

JIM WORDEN: Tight end with Roughriders, 1964-69. Plaza of Honor inductee (1996). Resides in Wellington, Ohio.

snotbuggy
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Wahlmeier was my grade 5 & 6 teacher. He was an awesome person. Soft-spoken and kind.

Charles Thomas is a Matador in Spain

Clambake
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
What happened to Dylan Ching. I thought he showed some flashes as a Canadian receiver ............then gone.

Clambake
01-16-2010, 02:58 PM
What happened to Dylan Ching. I thought he showed some flashes as a Canadian receiver ............then gone.

Darrell Edwards. We were scared to pick him to high in the CFL draft everyone thought he was NFL bound ??

The Slack. I like how he basically ran our way to the 1997 grey cup. The body can't that kind of punishment for an entire season.

CalgaryRiderFan
01-16-2010, 04:08 PM
We didn't invite Dylan Ching back...either after the 2001 or 2002 season.

szarka33
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Didn't he call wondering where his plane ticket was to get back here for camp and then they said....."Oh, you're cut"

squish
01-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Didn't he call wondering where his plane ticket was to get back here for camp and then they said....."Oh, you're cut"

I saw something on him, can't remember where. He's running like a surf shop, or a surf school in Hawaii somewhere.

danno
01-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Darrell Edwards. We were scared to pick him to high in the CFL draft everyone thought he was NFL bound ??

The Slack. I like how he basically ran our way to the 1997 grey cup. The body can't that kind of punishment for an entire season.

Dylan Ching was a "pretend" Canadian, I think his mom was from Canada and he lived a year or two in Canada (Vancouver?) as a kid.

Last I heard, Darnell Edwards was selling real estate in Panama.

danno
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Willie Wilder, the one catch wonder?
Pete van Valkenburg, the next George Reed (not)?
Tommy "the hat" Reamon?
Lester Brown?

Bigsexydawg
01-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Willie Wilder, the one catch wonder?
Pete van Valkenburg, the next George Reed (not)?
Tommy "the hat" Reamon?
Lester Brown?

Tommy Reamon became an actor I think as did Bobby Hosea.

Tommy Reamon played in the movie "North Dallas Forty" which is a classic football movie and appeared in episodes of Charlies Angels TV series.

MEAN_GREEN
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Trevis Smith.......in a Cadillac on Hollywood Boulevard???

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMwhl4IrPNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMwhl4IrPNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

prairiechickin
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Tommy Reamon played in the movie "North Dallas Forty" which is a classic football movie and appeared in episodes of Charlies Angels TV series.

Wasn't Bobby Hosea the guy that knocked the Ti-Cat receiver out with one punch? I remember this because I just happened to be scanning the field with binocs post-play when I saw Hosea and the receiver jabbering at each other. Next thing I knew Hosea popped him with a perfect upper cut, the only punch that is effective against a football helmet. The receiver dropped like a soft sack of you-know-what and Hosea was tossed. But it was a back-to-back series, so we played in Hamilton the next week. Barney Rubble (John Gregory) opted to introduce the defence, and came out arm in arm with Hosea to a chorus of boos and a few drink cups at the end. Ya, it was probably wrong, but I probably wouldn't remember Bobby Hosea if he hadn't thrown that punch.

Stoi
01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Some great posts in this thread so far. Very informative.

How about:
Milson Jones
and
Bay Boy linemen James Curry

Lotus
01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMwhl4IrPNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tMwhl4IrPNc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:o

h.scorpio
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Wasn't Bobby Hosea the guy that knocked the Ti-Cat receiver out with one punch? I remember this because I just happened to be scanning the field with binocs post-play when I saw Hosea and the receiver jabbering at each other. Next thing I knew Hosea popped him with a perfect upper cut, the only punch that is effective against a football helmet. The receiver dropped like a soft sack of you-know-what and Hosea was tossed. But it was a back-to-back series, so we played in Hamilton the next week. Barney Rubble (John Gregory) opted to introduce the defence, and came out arm in arm with Hosea to a chorus of boos and a few drink cups at the end. Ya, it was probably wrong, but I probably wouldn't remember Bobby Hosea if he hadn't thrown that punch.

Pretty sure that was before the John Gregory era.

dd
01-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Not sure if Tommy Reamon is still an actor but Bobby Hosea played O.J. Simpson in "The O.J. Simpson Story" back in 1995. He is still quite busy as an actor:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0395914/

Green in Queen City
01-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Pretty sure that was before the John Gregory era.

Nope,..it was 1981 IIRC.
Joe Faragelli was the coach at the time.
Bobby Hosea who was playing DB for the riders punched Gord Patterson (a reciever with the Ti-cats in a game at tasylor Field. Patterson dropped instantly to the turf.

Luther Selbo
01-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Hamilton reciever was Gord Patterson. I don't think that Hosea played during the Gregory era I would think that he was playing during the Joe Farragelli era. Could be wrong though, I don't have a media guide with me right now to verify.

Green in Queen City
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Hamilton reciever was Gord Patterson. I don't think that Hosea played during the Gregory era I would think that he was playing during the Joe Farragelli era. Could be wrong though, I don't have a media guide with me right now to verify.

it was when Joe Faragelli was the coach in 1981

prairiechickin
01-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I stand corrected, it was Feragelli. But both he and Gregory looked like Barney Rubble to me.

Under_Miner
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Yep. Level 10 Fitness.

Could probably still play...if he wanted to.

Frankie Lee
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Love this thread. Man, it sure does bring back a lot of memories, especially:

Some "Where are they now" info from a Leader post article from 2006 - 40 year reunion of 1966 Cup win.

JACK ABENDSCHAN :Guard and placekicker with Saskatchewan, 1965-75 Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Resides in Abilene, Texas, where he coaches the offensive line and tight ends with McMurry University.

HINCKLEY ARCHER: Saskatchewan's equipment manager, 1960-66. Died June 5, 1995 at age 82.

SANDY ARCHER: Saskatchewan's trainer, 1951-80. Plaza of Honor inductee(1988). Retired and living in Regina.

RON ATCHISON: Defensive lineman with Roughriders, 1952-66. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Retired and living in Regina.

DON BAHNUIK: Defensive tackle with Roughriders, 1966-74. Lives in Edmonton, where he is a financial and insurance adviser.

GORD BARWELL: split end with Roughriders, 1964-73. Plaza of Honor inductee (1994). Died of cancer in Toronto on April 21, 1988, at age 43.

AL BENECICK: Roughriders offensive lineman, 1959-68. Inducted into Canadian Football Hall of Fame, April 15, 1996.Plaza of Honor inductee (1991).Lives in Regina. Retired about five years ago after spending 15 years with the Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation.

BRUCE BENNETT:Defensive back with Roughriders, 1966-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1991).Lives in Lake Wales, Fla., where he coaches football at Lake Wales High School.

TOM BEYNON: Offensive tackle with 1966 and 1967 Roughriders. Lawyer in Waterloo, Ont.

CLYDE BROCK; Offensive tackle, 1964-75. Four-time CFL all-star. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Retired and living in Lake Oswego, Ore., where he moved after spending almost 30 years in San Diego.

ED BUCHANAN: Tailback with Saskatchewan, 1963-67. Died of Lou Gehrig's disease in San Diego on Aug. 31, 1991, at age 51.

WALLY DEMPSEY: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1966-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Lives in Sacramento, Calif., where he operates Dempsey Construction.

HANK DORSCH: Running back and defensive back with Roughriders, 1964-71.Saskatchewan's general manager, 1978-79.Plaza of Honor inductee (2004). Lives in Regina. Retired in December after 25 years with Public Service Commission, most recently as a recruitment specialist.

PAUL DUDLEY: Stabbed to death in Las Vegas in March of 1987, at age 48. Previously played with Green Bay, Philadelphia and New York Giants of the NFL, and Calgary of the CFL.

LARRY DUMELIE: Saskatchewan defensive back, 1960-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (2003). Resides in Osgoode, Ont., where he owns a 100-acre farm.

JIM DUNCAN: Assistant coach with Roughriders, 1965-69. Head coach of Calgary team which won 1971 Grey Cup. Retired and living on a golf course in Calabash, N.C.

TED DUSHINSKI: Defensive back with Roughriders, 1965-75. Plaza of Honor inductee (1993). Died of cancer in Vancouver on Oct. 24, 2005 at age 61.

GARNER EKSTRAN: Played with Roughriders from 1961-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (1990). Lives in birthplace of Bow, Wash., where he is Western Canadian territory sales manager for Miller Ag-Bag, which sells agricultural products.

DON GERHARDT: Defensive end and linebacker with Riders, 1966-68. Resides in Golden Valley, Minn., where he is CEO of Medical Alley/MNBIO -- a health care and life science trade association.

JACK GOTTA: Assistant coach with Roughriders, 1965-67 . . . Receiver with Roughriders, 1960-64. Former head coach of Ottawa, Calgary and Sask. Lives in Cochrane, Alta.

EAGLE KEYS: Roughriders head coach, 1965-70. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Retired and living in Langley, B.C.

BOB KOSID: Defensive back with Riders, 1964-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1997). Lives in Hamilton. Loading dock foreman for Northam, an office management company.

DALE LAIRD: Roughriders equipment manager, 1966-79. Lives in Regina, where he is self-employed doing renovations and small carpentry jobs.

MOE LEVESQUE; Defensive tackle played 15 games with 1966 Roughriders. Could not be located. Believed to be living in Quebec.

DON MacDONALD: Roughriders president in 1950, 1966 and 1967. Worked with 1966 management committee, which also consisted of Clair Warner, Don McPherson, Bill Clarke and Alan Sangster. Served on management committee from 1946-75. Died Jan. 4, 1979 at age 78.

JIM McKEAN: Punted for Roughriders during six games in 1966. Became a Major League Baseball umpire in 1973. Worked in three World Series (1979, 1985, 1995). Became an umpire supervisor in 2002. Lives in St. Petersburg, Fla.

ED McQUARTERS: Defensive lineman with Roughriders, 1966-74. Plaza of Honor (1989). Worked with SaskPower, 1968-98. Retired and living in Regina.

MEL OTTENBREIT: Ball boy with Roughriders for "seven or eight years,'' concluding in 1966.Lives in Winnipeg, where he was a valet and horse owner at Assiniboia Downs until a few years ago. Power engineer for Winnipeg's YMCAs.

GIL PETMANIS: Played 11 games with 1966 Roughriders. Retired and living in Oshawa, Ont.

KEN PRESTON: Roughriders general manager, 1958-77. Plaza of Honor inductee (1987). Died on Aug. 2, 1991 of Alzheimer's disease at age 73.

RICH PRESTON: Roughriders ball boy for first half of 1966 season. Former NHL and WHA player. Former head coach of WHL's Regina Pats. Calgary Flames assistant coach. Lives in Calgary.

KEN REED: Linebacker and defensive end with Roughriders, 1965-70. Plaza of Honor inductee (2006). Lives between White City and Balgonie. Operates Reed Leisure Products.

ALAN FORD: Mr. Versatility with Riders, 1965-76.Roughriders GM, 1989-99.Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Born in Regina, where he still resides. Semi-retired. Sales representative for Intergold.

CLIFF SHAW: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1966-70. Died on June 15, 1993 of a liver ailment at age 49. Younger brother of Wayne Shaw.

WAYNE SHAW: Linebacker with Roughriders, 1961-72. Plaza of Honor inductee (1994). Lives in Saskatoon. Operates used-book store-A Book Hunter.

DON THOMPSON: Running back spent time on the Riders' taxi squad in 1965 and 1966. Central Collegiate grad. Lives in Canora. Principal at Chief Kahkewistahaw Community School.

TED URNESS: Regina-born centre with Roughriders, 1961-70. Plaza of Honor in 1989. Lives in Saskatoon, where he has been "fully and completely retired''. Previously, he spent five years as chairman/CEO of the Saskatchewan Liquor Board, plus 22 years in the farm and industrial equipment business.

GALEN WAHLMEIER: Centre, linebacker and long-snapper had three stints with Roughriders (1957, 1959-63, 1965-67). Mayor of Estevan, 1976-82. Retired school teacher lives in White Bear. Helps out at boys' and girls' camp in Kenosee during the summer. Board member, Southeast Saskatchewan Association for Culture, Recreation and Sport.

DALE WEST: Defensive back and receiver with Roughriders, 1962-68. Plaza of Honor inductee (1997). Lives in Regina, where he is program co-ordinator with the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.

REG WHITEHOUSE: Roughriders' offensive line from 1952 to 1966.Plaza of Honor inductee (1992). Retired and lives with wife Joanne-Miss Grey Cup 1953-in Chilliwack, B.C.

GENE WLASIUK: Roughriders defensive back and punt returner, 1959-67. Plaza of Honor inductee (1995). Retired and living in Regina.

JIM WORDEN: Tight end with Roughriders, 1964-69. Plaza of Honor inductee (1996). Resides in Wellington, Ohio.

Stoi
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Love this thread. Man, it sure does bring back a lot of memories, especially:

Ya, what a great post of all these players.

Stoi
01-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Sorry if I missed it but:

Is Elgaard selling insurance now in the US, Vegas maybe. Not sure if I got that right.

How about Tommy Burgess.

Luther Selbo
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Rich Preston, former Winnipeg Jet was a ball boy for the Riders ??? Wow, never knew that !!!!

Oldguard
01-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Bay Boy linemen James Curry
As of a couple of years ago, he owned a pizza place in his hometown in California. He was accused of murdering his girlfriend to keep her from testifying against him in a criminal case, but the charge was dismissed.

Doctor Z
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM

"We??"...I don't think you were part of the desision making process.

I laugh every time someone refers to the riders as "us" or "we"

We are fans. Period.

prairiechickin
01-19-2010, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Doctor Z;1679713We are fans. Period.[/QUOTE]

As a member of the Rider Nation, I consider myself an 'us' and a 'we'. Just because I'm not part of the immediate decision-making process (for good reason), doesn't mean I'm not part of this team. We remain community-owned, and I'm part of that community, so I retain the priviledge of the royal 'we'.

Doctor Z
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
As a member of the Rider Nation, I consider myself an 'us' and a 'we'. Just because I'm not part of the immediate decision-making process (for good reason), doesn't mean I'm not part of this team. We remain community-owned, and I'm part of that community, so I retain the priviledge of the royal 'we'.

Sorry. You are not part of the team. Nor am I.

Is it that hard to accept only being a fan?

slowhand_bc
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry. You are not part of the team. Nor am I.

Is it that hard to accept only being a fan?

Riders made "us" one of "them" when they adopted the 13th Man theme. Yer welcome :)

Doctor Z
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Riders made "us" one of "them" when they adopted the 13th Man theme. Yer welcome :)

What "we" are to the riders is $$$.

Nothing more.

Riders - Edmonton
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Nothing more.

I doubt you'll get any negative reaction from that statement!!

CalgaryRiderFan
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM

We are fans. Period.

Wow, someone crap in your corn flakes this morning? Sometimes people use the word "we" when talking about their favorite teams even though they aren't part of the team. Get over it

Riders - Edmonton
01-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow, someone crap in your corn flakes this morning? Sometimes people use the word "we" when talking about their favorite teams even though they aren't part of the team. Get over it

Some people are "builder-uppers" and some are "tearer-downers".

Doctor Z
01-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Some people are "builder-uppers" and some are "tearer-downers".

If you think I am a tearer downer- you don't know me very well.

In fact you don't know me at all.

Some of the people on this site seem to think they are actually more important to the team then they really are.

All we really are to the team is clicks on a turnstile.

If anyone thinks they are more than that, they truly are dreaming.

Riders - Edmonton
01-19-2010, 11:09 PM

Some of the people on this site seem to think they are actually more important to the team then they really are.

Please explain how this is an optimistic point of view and not a pessimistic one?

Riders - Edmonton
01-19-2010, 11:58 PM

We are fans. Period.

To set the mood for fans, ESPN Classics should be showing the games which the teams involved won.

For us, playoff games from 66, 69, 72, 89, 07 ( west finals were all wins)

I don't know in 2000 how there could have been a bidding war, when we ( the riders) had no money.

whoops,.. fumble,...

Gopher33
01-20-2010, 12:02 AM

If anyone thinks they are more than that, they truly are dreaming.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations. You advance to the grand prize round. FINALLY someone on here hits the nail on the head.

prairiechickin
01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
All we really are to the team is clicks on a turnstile..

The last time I clicked the turnstile was the day after the Grey Cup when I went down to Taylor Field to welcome the guys back. There were about three thousand of us there, and we were pretty sad, it was kind of like going to a funeral. The worst part was watching the team shuffle up to the podium, they were beat and they knew it. But we made the best of it, and there was a palpable feeling, a grim determination even, that vengence would be sweet in 2010. Maybe if you'd been there you'd understand why I refer to the Riders, and most of the people on this forum, as 'we'.

Drifter
01-20-2010, 05:59 AM

Nothing more.

Is it ok to say WE if WE win 50 gold medals or do i actually need to compete?

Doctor Z
01-20-2010, 08:08 AM
The last time I clicked the turnstile was the day after the Grey Cup when I went down to Taylor Field to welcome the guys back. There were about three thousand of us there, and we were pretty sad, it was kind of like going to a funeral. The worst part was watching the team shuffle up to the podium, they were beat and they knew it. But we made the best of it, and there was a palpable feeling, a grim determination even, that vengence would be sweet in 2010. Maybe if you'd been there you'd understand why I refer to the Riders, and most of the people on this forum, as 'we'.

What a hero. Nice big bandwagon jump in 2010. I am sure you will jump right off again soon enough.

What a dumb *** statement. Like I don't have season tickets, which I do., Like I don't suffer for losses and cheer for big wins, which I do.

mabey I wasn't there because I had a job to be at. You should try it someday.

You don't know anything about me.

Doctor Z
01-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Is it ok to say WE if WE win 50 gold medals or do i actually need to compete?

We are Canadians, but we don't really own and are really not part of the team, so if you feel like you helped some guy win bronze, go hard. CHEER!!!

go riders
01-20-2010, 10:23 AM

And if those 'clicks on a turnstile' weren't there, neither would 'our' team be.

Jedrock43
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Disagree Dr Z.

Strongly.

As a former Eskimo player I was part of the team for 13 years. I was physically, emotionally and spiritually invested for the duration of my career which stopped the day I retired.. Fans are emotionally, physically* and spiritually invested for a lifetime.

I know lots of guys who are not even fans of the teams they used to play for..

I kind of see your point but you are missing the mark when it comes to fans 'owning' their team. Good franchises play with the help of a loyal fan base which generates a life of it's own..

Fans + Players = We.

Collective experience.

* Anyone who has ever sat through a game during a vicious prairie thunderstorm or blizzard has physically invested themselves in their franchise in my books..

Stoi
01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice post jedrock.

Not to change subjects too much, but along the line of the Eskies, one of my favorite Eskie players was Blake Marshall. That guy was amazing at the goal line.

prairiechickin
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
What a hero. Nice big bandwagon jump in 2010. I am sure you will jump right off again soon enough.

What a dumb *** statement. Like I don't have season tickets, which I do., Like I don't suffer for losses and cheer for big wins, which I do.

mabey I wasn't there because I had a job to be at. You should try it someday.

You don't know anything about me.

I know one thing about you.

Riders - Edmonton
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Disagree Dr Z.

Strongly.

As a former Eskimo player I was part of the team for 13 years. I was physically, emotionally and spiritually invested for the duration of my career which stopped the day I retired.. Fans are emotionally, physically* and spiritually invested for a lifetime.

I kind of see your point but you are missing the mark when it comes to fans 'owning' their team. Good franchises play with the help of a loyal fan base which generates a life of it's own..

Fans + Players = We.

Collective experience.

* Anyone who has ever sat through a game during a vicious prairie thunderstorm or blizzard has physically invested themselves in their franchise in my books..

Excellent post, and I think most players and team employees would have the same opinion.

In my business if I treated my clients like "dollar signs" only, I would not be very successful. Because of how I treat them I develop a relationship as a "trusted advisor" and we are all part of one team. It is this type of positive attitude that makes most people successful. "Take care of the people and the money wil take care of its self". If I treated them negatively, like Dr. Z feels the team thinks of us, I would not last long and would not have nearly as much fun. The relationship between the fans and the team is no different, thus a relationship constitutes "we" and us".

Additionally, who are any of us to say how another individual should view the personal perspective of his relationship with the team. Dr. Z and at least one other has indicated that they feel some people on this site feel there value to the team is more than it really is.

"Some of the people on this site seem to think they are actually more important to the team then they really are."

I believe this is a mean, negative and unthoughtful comment. If in fact the statement is true, maybe some people have a NEED to feel that way. To be apart of something bigger than themselves. Not to compare the two but certainly religion can have that effect. Nobody can tell another how to feel, especially when they have no idea WHY the person feels the way they do. This opinion is based on the life experiences of the observer and they cannot possibly relate to why the subject would make the decisions they do.

Additionally, in this thread Dr. Z has informed me that he is not a "tearer-downer" and that I do not know him. He is right on one account, I do not know him personally. However based on his aggressive and combative communication style regarding this issue, it is very easy to determine if he is a "glass half full or glass half empty" type of person. And you don't have to know a person to make that determination. You just have to read HOW he writes something and not WHAT he they writes.

However I am just the observer and I could be wrong. But Dr. Z initiated this discussion by chastizing someone for his use of "we" and/or "us" when refering to the team and when he was disagreed with he was insulting.

GreenHiker
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
was he was, in 1982.
He actually had more yds in '81 (just over 1700 IIRC but only had 91 catches)
in 82 he had 100 exactly IIRC. for just Under 1700 yds

When it was 16 game seasons!

prairiechickin
01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
The year after he left I found myself one night in a motel room in Coure de Laine, Idaho that had ESPN on cable, the first time I'd seen it. I flip it on and there's some USFL hilites. There was Joey Walters making one of his great leaping catches to tie the game and force overtime. Guess who got the winning touchdown in OT? Yep, that guy was special, I don't think I've ever seen anyone before or since that had that kind of vertical leap relative to his height.

dollar
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Anyone remember Eric Tillman? I wonder where he is now.

Dylan E
01-21-2010, 11:38 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Get off the stage!!! ;)

nightrider69432
01-23-2010, 05:47 AM
I thought Skipper was pretty good. It's been a long time but I thought he was damn good.
He was.

nightrider69432
01-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Nice post jedrock.

Not to change subjects too much, but along the line of the Eskies, one of my favorite Eskie players was Blake Marshall. That guy was amazing at the goal line.Yeah so?

nightrider69432
01-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Disagree Dr Z.

Strongly.

Fans + Players = We.

Collective experience.

So cut the crap, use your real name then.

Riders - Edmonton
01-23-2010, 11:46 AM

I am sure you can figure that out from the screen name, but if he gave it would you believe him?

Pessimism is such an unseemly human trait.

SuzieQ
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
In my years watching the Riders I've always cheered most for the unsung heros on the team. Don't get me wrong, the stars always get my cheers as well, but I generally love the role players and all out effort guys. Guys like Niel Hughes, Chris Szarka and Mike McCullough on the current team.

Guys like Jeff Treftlin, Milson Jones on the 89 Grey cup team, and a whole host of others between then and now.

Had he played for my team, I have no doubt there would have been a special place in my heart for a guy like Jed Roberts as well. Those all out effort guys who make very important contributions in ways that aren't as obvious to most of us. But guys who play with such effort and passion that it is clear the team means as much (or more) to them, as it does to me.

Luther Selbo
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM

LMFAO !!!! I love you man !!!!

Dylan E
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
whoops,.. fumble,...

LOL

Blueandgold
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM

You've been awfully demanding lately.

Dylan E
01-23-2010, 10:56 PM

My name is Dylan!!!

Jedrock43
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM

My name is Jed Roberts.

Unlike some people around here I've never played silly games and pretended to be anything other than who I really am on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.

I use my real picture in my avatar and who I am is a matter of (albeit inconsequential) public record.

What's your real name 'Hasselhoff-Numbers'?

CalgaryRiderFan
01-24-2010, 12:24 AM
My name is Jed Roberts.

Unlike some people around here I've never played silly games and pretended to be anything other than who I really am on the internet or anywhere else for that matter.

I use my real picture in my avatar and who I am is a matter of (albeit inconsequential) public record.

What's your real name, 'numbers'?

He's isn't worth your time Jed. Not in the least.

crystalsignal
01-24-2010, 12:59 AM
My name is Jed Roberts.

Ha ha, hey Jed I maybe stupid at times but lining up against you like Doc Z and Alphabetsky/numbnuts is stupider!

Rock Preston #1
01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
He's isn't worth your time Jed. Not in the least.

Agreed. What's with that guy anyhow?? Holy diner...

rybo
01-24-2010, 09:29 AM
An unfortunate story about Cookie Gilchrist (this story is from today)...

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/columnists/earl_mcrae/2010/01/23/12589641.html

Cookie Gilchrist. Now there was a player. Ah yes. Just as with the great Jim Brown, you don’t have to have been alive at the time of his supreme grandeur to know about Carlton Chester “Cookie” Gilchrist — his legend spans the generations.

There are many wise men to this day who played and coached for and against Cookie Gilchrist in the NFL who say it’s not Jim Brown who was the greatest running back ever, it was Gilchrist who, because he played his first five seasons in the CFL with Hamilton, Saskatchewan, and Toronto before signing with the AFL’s Buffalo Bills, did not get the recognition of unparalleled records — establishing majesty he deserved.

Jim Brown had nothing on Cookie Gilchrist. But coaches, managers, and owners of teams he played for in both leagues did. His mouth. His opinions. His unbridled ego. His swagger. His allegations of racism against black players. His going to the wall for black players.

His demands to be paid more for being unquestionably the most powerful, most destructive, most malevolent fullback in football from 1956 to 1960 in Canada and 1961 to 1966 in America when he wasn’t also starring at linebacker and kicking: 250 pounds of concrete on a 6-foot-3 frame.

“Discipline problem.” They said he was a “discipline problem.” The code term often used when unwilling to accept the truth of accusations. When the masters of militaristic convention couldn’t handle the unconventional of a contrarian who never drank, never smoked, never did drugs, but who flaunted the proud, egotistical child within him through such things as driving around town with the painted words on his truck Lookie, Lookie, Here Comes Cookie.

And so, with the NFC and AFC title games today, I tried to find the long-lost Cookie Gilchrist, now 74 years old, to get his assessments and predictions. For two days

I tried without success, finally unearthing an address in Pennsylvania and a home phone number. The number had been disconnected.

I found the name and number of his next door neighbour.

“He suddenly moved away last summer,” said Joe Mercurio. “I don’t know where he went. He kept to himself. I don’t know if you know, but he has throat cancer. He was tall and thin. He once told me he weighed 178 pounds.”

The two e-mail addresses I found didn’t work. I circuitously found a third. As with the others, I explained why I wanted to phone him. I gave my number. Hours went by. And then — an e-mail.

“Earl. I have been suffering from throat cancer. Speaking right now is always difficult at times for clarity purposes.”

I typed him back my sympathies. I asked him to write me his predictions. I asked where he is living. I asked for his phone number. I asked for his address. I asked why to this day he is the only player to reject induction into the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame. I mentioned some names of living ex-Rough Riders he played against, such as Kaye Vaughan.

This is what he wrote: “My throat cancer is in remission, my weight is the same. Tell Kaye Vaughan and the crew those days were the greatest in my life. I have great respect for every Canadian Football Player who played with and against me.

“I loved Canada and the Canadian people. However Canada does not love Cookie Gilchrist. And I never turned down the Hall Of Fame. When John Agro told me to be nice to Jake Gaudaur, when he told me I was nominated to be inducted, I told Jake I would take that under advisement, and he or they made a lie out of it. Adolf Hitler said the truth when he said the bigger the lie, the more people believe it.

“What is my crime? I never robbed, raped, stolen, lied, cheated, sold drugs, beat my wife or children. So. Why did the country treat me as a persona non grata from 1956 to 2010? But it’s okay, I know how to deal with all the players now. It will all come out in the production of my life story once all the T’s are crossed and the I’s dotted.

“I wish for you what I wish for myself. That is good health, wealth, and a long quality life. Peace and love. Cookie Gilchrist.”

He did not give his predictions. He did not say where he lives. He did not say what he is doing. I e-mailed him again. I told him he’s wrong. That he’s not persona non grata. That he will always be acknowledged and remembered in Canada for his greatness, what he gave to our game, his colourful personality. I told him the truth of Cookie Gilchrist goes marching on.

He didn’t respond.

You might want to tell him too — glchr7@aol.com.

Riders - Edmonton
01-24-2010, 11:30 AM

He was a great one and should be inducted. Coincidentally I sent him a 1958 Topps Riders card to sign a few years back as I had discovered his Pennsylvania address. I never recieved it back. I just sent him and email to remind him if he can send it if he ever recieved it. It is his rookie card and they are very rare.

He had a Jazz radio show when he played in Regina that my Dad use to listen to and said it was really good.

Thanks for the post rybo.

rider89ers
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM

everyone knows that is Jed Roberts...let me guess you haven't heard of Jed Roberts ..i guess you have a short memory

Bigsexydawg
01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
everyone knows that is Jed Roberts...let me guess you haven't heard of Jed Roberts ..i guess you have a short memory

Astroglider69lube was not actually referencing a Jed post.

szarka33
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Astroglider69lube was not actually referencing a Jed post.

bwahahahahahaha

Bigsexydawg
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
bwahahahahahaha

Astroglider69lube is one of two posters on here who make up the lubricant gang.

Riders - Edmonton
01-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Astroglider69lube is one of two posters on here who make up the lubricant gang.

Lubricant gang,?...oh boy,.. I hate to ask.

Doctor Z
01-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I know one thing about you.

Whats that, tough guy?

szarka33
01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Whats that, tough guy?

bwahaha

Toontownsilky
01-27-2010, 01:29 PM
My name is Jed Roberts.

Again with this kind of thing?

slowhand_bc
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM

Cookie still seems to be a bit of a character. The league may have to wait until after he passes to induct him to his rightful position in the Hall of Fame.

Anyway, I found a very cool film review of the '64 Buffalo Bills season. Cookie shows up for the first time at the 4:00 mark and he looks good. Neat to see extended footage of the old AFL to boot.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HeQYK59rMmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HeQYK59rMmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>